Tailwheel endorsement offer

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
OK, so I do not intend to make this a habit, but I've recently bought a new tailwheel trainer of my own to use, and am trying to get it up and running as a viable business closer to my home.

This month and February only, I'm offering a discounted deal to any POA members who are interested in a two-day tailwheel course in the Taylorcraft I recently purchased.

The deal is you have to commit to a one to two-day course in the Austin, TX general area. The aircraft price is $95/hr wet, but the instruction portion is a flat rate of $180/day for up to 8 hours of instructor time per day. The endorsement typically takes between 4-10 hours of flying, so if it takes you say 6 hours of flight time (not including ground) and we finish it in one day, then you would only be paying about $30/hr for the time. If you get to 10 hours and want to solo, that is also possible as the aircraft is available for solo rental to pilots with 10 hours time in type.

I'm not going to guarantee the endorsement in a fixed number of hours, but we'll work as hard as we can to get it for you.

What's the catch? It's got to be a Wednesday - Thursday package, as I have full time students down in Boerne on the other days of the week. I'm trying to get this bird up and flying and visible at some of the local airports.

If you want to combine a flight review with the endorsement, there will be an additional $40 charge for the ground review.

Ryan

Last edited:
This is a nice deal. If I were in the area, I'd take advantage of it.

Sooooooo tempting! I may have to think about how to do this.

Gimme a price for getting current again. I've grandfathered TW but haven't flown one in > 10 years, so I really need refresher, plus a BFR tossed in. I can do a Wed or Thur no prob. Don't need the full endorsement, but do need some learnin again.

Hey, do I hafta prop the thing? Discount? LOL...

Gimme a price for getting current again. I've grandfathered TW but haven't flown one in > 10 years, so I really need refresher, plus a BFR tossed in. I can do a Wed or Thur no prob. Don't need the full endorsement, but do need some learnin again.

Hey, do I hafta prop the thing? Discount? LOL...
I think my posted rate here is about the lowest I can go for the time. I'm OK handpropping it for you.

Ryan

I recently learned how to hand-prop a plane, its really not hard and you'll pick it up quick.

Don't worry, I've been propping planes since the 70s. It was a small, very small joke.

6'6, 250LBS.
27" from butt to kneecap,
25" heel to top of knee,
35" inseam,
39" from butt to top of head.
18.5" butt width
18.5" shoulder width

Looks like 6'3" and 32" inseam is about where people top out in a 12D.

Also, weight... with me and full fuel, you'd have to be a hundred pounds. :)
We could take 8 gallons of fuel on board... and we burn about 4 per hour, so that's not too bad. Too bad on the size.

Ryan

Would also trade the CFI services portion for a Nexus 7 for one day's work.

Ryan

Eight hours straight?!

I remember TW training, I might run out of sweat after 3 hours..

:p

Rich

Eight hours straight?!

I remember TW training, I might run out of sweat after 3 hours..

:p

Rich
We break it up througout the day. It's actually fairly doable if the weather cooperates. I've done a number of 'em in the last two years.

Ryan

Would love to do it myself but really can't until probably April.
I probably won't be able to cut quite as good of a deal in April when I hope to have that as my full time location, but I will consider a POA discount off of what I have published on the website.

Ryan

HEY!!!!

THIS IS MY FIRST POST!!!

If you're thinking about it.....just do it.

I've done ALL of my LSA training (thus far) in a BC-12D here in Michigan.

Great flying plane - very easy to learn TW in.

I had issues for maybe my first 6 t/o's - landings were another animal due to my girth, but once I found the sweet spot, it's a breeze - I LOVE the 'Crate!!!

Check the link in my profile (HOMEPAGE button) for the videos of my breakthrough day on youtube.

Sean

HEY!!!!

THIS IS MY FIRST POST!!!

If you're thinking about it.....just do it.

I've done ALL of my LSA training (thus far) in a BC-12D here in Michigan.

Great flying plane - very easy to learn TW in.

I had issues for maybe my first 6 t/o's - landings were another animal due to my girth, but once I found the sweet spot, it's a breeze - I LOVE the 'Crate!!!

Check the link in my profile (HOMEPAGE button) for the videos of my breakthrough day on youtube.

Sean

Welcome!
You're out of Dalton? Know JD Skinner?
I'm just across town at Ray Community, 57D.

Joel,

JD and I have exchanged a couple of emails, but I've spend most of my time in the early mornings with Jerry Zerbe. Admittedly, I've only flown after 13:00 hrs twice in almost 40 hours of flight!!!!

Cool. Don't know JD through aviation, but funny that our paths intersect here.

Glad to know the Tcraft is not only still flying but getting use by an up-and-comer ... great way to do primary training (I think).

There are several SE Mich pilots here - Azure frequently hits up Dalton to go to Sorrento's. It's still on my to-do list.

Wish Texas was closer... I have been reading a lot about the taylorcrafts since reading your original post when you picked up the new bird. Out of curiosity what is the useful load?

Wish Texas was closer... I have been reading a lot about the taylorcrafts since reading your original post when you picked up the new bird. Out of curiosity what is the useful load?
It's approximately 450 lbs. I'm about 150 - and if we use just the nose tank at 72 lbs (12 gals) We have about 225 lbs left for a student. Now I only burn about 4-4.5 gals. per hour, so I would be comfortable with less fuel than that (maybe 8 gals or 48 lbs), leaving us with room for up to about 250 lbs of student.
I had a 6' 4" guy sit in the cockpit yesterday and he said it was a bit more comfortable than the Cub once he got himself folded in. It's tight, but doable.

Ryan

It's approximately 450 lbs. I'm about 150 - and if we use just the nose tank at 72 lbs (12 gals) We have about 225 lbs left for a student. Now I only burn about 4-4.5 gals. per hour, so I would be comfortable with less fuel than that (maybe 8 gals or 48 lbs), leaving us with room for up to about 250 lbs of student.
I had a 6' 4" guy sit in the cockpit yesterday and he said it was a bit more comfortable than the Cub once he got himself folded in. It's tight, but doable.

Ryan

Interesting. I sat in a 1946 BC12 last summer, on the ground, and felt pretty squashed. I'm 5'11" and 200 lbs. Does the BC12D have bigger cabin dimensions than the BC12?

I would if I were closer. Good deal for someone wanting to get there endorsement.

Interesting. I sat in a 1946 BC12 last summer, on the ground, and felt pretty squashed. I'm 5'11" and 200 lbs. Does the BC12D have bigger cabin dimensions than the BC12?
A lot of that has to do with how you configure the seats. I can take out the cusions and just work with the sling, which really isn't that bad. I'm 5' 11" as well.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,
I've set a goal to get my tailwheel endorsement this year (among others) and was already considering contacting you about it...this deal seems providential. Still have time/space for another student?

A lot of that has to do with how you configure the seats. I can take out the cusions and just work with the sling, which really isn't that bad. I'm 5' 11" as well.

Ryan

Good call Ryan - I use Boat cushions/throwable flotation things. I split one open and trimmed the foam inside (then sewed it back closed) so it was narrow enough so that my elbows could go back a few more inches and there was just enough padding to make by fused back happy.

Then I just gave my instructor a "whole" cushion for his back.

Hi Ryan,
I've set a goal to get my tailwheel endorsement this year (among others) and was already considering contacting you about it...this deal seems providential. Still have time/space for another student?
Yes I do. Give me a call after 7 today (I'll be flying right after posting this) or anytime after 10 tomorrow.
I also intend to keep a BC-12 (or other tailwheel aircraft in the future) on the line and available for solo rentals in the Austin area so people can keep up their proficiency as well.

Ryan

Congratulations to POA member elmetal for earning his tailwheel endorsement today!

426725_10200553288580905_44622916_n.jpg

Ryan

Weeeee Hooooo!

Happy flying, keep it straight.

Congratulations to POA member elmetal for earning his tailwheel endorsement today!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan!

For anyone on the fence about getting the TW, DO IT!

The Taylorcraft is a wonderful airplane to fly. It takes a while to get used to the whole tailwheel steering (as anyone would imagine).

I went in thinking the takeoffs would be the hardest part (you know, P-factor on the prop angle, left turning tendencies on tailup, etc etc) but man was I wrong... Landing is the challenge.

Ryan was patient enough to not give up on me and those pesky wheel landings.

If you're anywhere even remotely close to Austin and you don't have the endorsement, save that dough and do it. Now I just wish I had enough money to buy one of these planes. It really does change how you look at flying and what fun flying can really be

Thanks again Ryan!

If anyone would be interested, I'd be able to offer this special again on any Mon-Tues or possibly Weds two day combination through April 16, 2014.

Ryan

Attachments

• 20140319_192632-001.jpg
    20140319_192632-001.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Back