Taildraggers

Hey Diana! It's great to hear from you! I really understand now. I love my 182, but real flying occurs in a taildragger!!! :D And I'm leaning really heavily towards a Super Cub with tundra tires. I want to do things like the videos that you posted. Not immediately, but in time with experience. I really felt like I was almost one with the airplane when I was in the cub. It was really neat to know that I didn't need a big paved runway to set it down on. I had never landed on grass and during the training we landed on an island in the middle of a lake!!!:D:D:D It opened up a whole new playground. And the really cool thing is that it made my 182 flying even better as well. I'm going to CA this week to do Rich Stowell's EMT training so I'll get another fix of tailwheelin!:D:D

I had never landed on grass and during the training we landed on an island in the middle of a lake!!!:D:D:D
Cool! :yes:

It opened up a whole new playground.
Now maybe you can fly up to our farm and land in the grass here. :yes:

And the really cool thing is that it made my 182 flying even better as well.
It's kinda neat how that works. :D

I'm going to CA this week to do Rich Stowell's EMT training so I'll get another fix of tailwheelin!:D:D
Wow, nice!! I hope you'll give us a report when you're done. Are you going to do some aerobatic training while you're there?

Another source of information about taildraggers for bush flying is the forum backcountrypilots.org. Over there you will find pilots with a lot of different bush planes that will give you opinions as to why their airplane is the best one to buy. ;) The pilots in those videos I posted all post at bcp (including the singing, dancing, mandolin-playing Super Cub pilot who has fat tires who can put 'er down pertineer anywhere). :D

Whats wrong with it? or is the market really that bad? (good if your buying I guess)

6 years ago I these were selling for $60,000 with the wood spars.

Brian

It's a buyer's market.

One thing to keep in mind is that this plane is for sale by a broker in Texas. A Texas buyer purchasing an aircraft from a Texas broker -> must pay a hefty chunk of sales tax. If a Texas buyer can buy from an individual seller under the "occasional sale" rules, then the sales tax is exempted :wink2:

I also heartily recommend a Supercub with big tires. I have several hours in one and it's definitely an ideal plane for this mission.

Last edited:
Back