Taildragger Primary Training in LI, NY Area?

TangoEchoAlpha

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
WK95
Does anyone know and recommend any instructors in the Long Island, NY region who provide taildragger primary training?

I'm interested in taildragger training from the get go since I want to develop the best possible stick-rudder skills from the start.

Honestly, just get a couple of flights in one if you can - learn what the rudder is for, then transition to a Cessna 150 or 152 and get your tailwheel endorsement when you finish. OR - use a good, older, tailwheel qualified CFI who will teach you the same stick and rudder stuff in any aircraft.

Honestly, just get a couple of flights in one if you can - learn what the rudder is for, then transition to a Cessna 150 or 152 and get your tailwheel endorsement when you finish. OR - use a good, older, tailwheel qualified CFI who will teach you the same stick and rudder stuff in any aircraft.

I disagree.

The OP is a smart guy, getting your entire PPL in tailwheel will pay off significantly.

Just a couple tailwheel lessons will just teach you how much you need to learn. I used to teach guys 0-CPL in tailwheel planes, also got a few tailwheel add on guys, our 0-250 tailwheel guys would take the planes solo all the time, a weekend course tailwheel guy, no solo, and you could tell the difference from the tailwheel pilots and the folks who just took a couple lessons.

I can't recommend anyone in S. NY, but I would keep looking and get your whole ticket in a tailwheel.

I disagree.

The OP is a smart guy, getting your entire PPL in tailwheel will pay off significantly.

I'm with James. It's a lot like how people who learned to drive on a standard transmission are demonstrably better drivers than people who've been used to automatics their whole life.

I don't know a single person in that area but if you happen to find someone in Colorado, send them my way, I've been itching to get a tailwheel endorsement.

If you come to the SF bay area, I've got a place in mind....Did all my flying in a C140 :)

Edit: And at $85/hr wet, no less.

There's an excellent one near Worcester with a Citabria 7ECA (a great one to get your primary in). Another in Andover, NJ with a super cub. Both are phenomenal instructors and worth the drive.

An additional note, I'd prefer if the instructor teaches from KISP or KFRG.

But if anyone knows of any instructors that are willing to provided accelerated PPL training in a taildragger at another location , let me know.

Last edited:
You want instruction in a TW and your choice of airports. What do you think this is 1946? Man you just can't please some people. :eek:)

You want instruction in a TW and your choice of airports. What do you think this is 1946? Man you just can't please some people. :eek:)

I don't have a car so I can only get around by public transport which limits my options quite a bit to the local area.

And yes, I'm pretty sure it's 1946. My iPad says so.

On a serious note, I'm considering accelerated pilot training in another location where available so I'd just get lodgings there.

Last edited:
Depending on when you're looking to do this I may be able to recommend someone, I have a friend that's a CFI in that area that's looking to buy a Cub to give instruction in.

Depending on when you're looking to do this I may be able to recommend someone, I have a friend that's a CFI in that area that's looking to buy a Cub to give instruction in.

I'm in no rush to get my license. If he does get a Cub, I'd appreciate if you'd message me about it.

Does anyone know and recommend any instructors in the Long Island, NY region who provide taildragger primary training?

I'm interested in taildragger training from the get go since I want to develop the best possible stick-rudder skills from the start.

Maybe out in bayport aerodrome. Plenty of tail draggers out there. Or at least there used to be. Either way it's still a nice little airport to stop and see. Someone there might be able to guide you in the right direction.

Give these guys a call.. I have heard good things about them. They did / do tailwheel but heard they might have sold the tailwheel so make sure to find that out early in the call..

Good luck..

http://www.heritageflightacademy.com/2h.html

An additional note, I'd prefer if the instructor teaches from KISP or KFRG.

But if anyone knows of any instructors that are willing to provided accelerated PPL training in a taildragger at another location , let me know.

I disagree.

Just a couple tailwheel lessons will just teach you how much you need to learn. I used to teach guys 0-CPL in tailwheel planes, also got a few tailwheel add on guys, our 0-250 tailwheel guys would take the planes solo all the time, a weekend course tailwheel guy, no solo, and you could tell the difference from the tailwheel pilots and the folks who just took a couple lessons.

I can't recommend anyone in S. NY, but I would keep looking and get your whole ticket in a tailwheel.
Hey now. I've DONE it. I've taught primary guys in Cubs, I teach tailwheel. I'm not against it, but I'm saying that the instructor is as big of a factor as the aircraft and a decent instructor can teach stick and rudder WELL in other aircraft, too. I feel like Dave (www.salsaaviation.com) and I were doing that pretty well in the LSA I used to fly with him down in Boerne. Some of the tailwheel checkouts were pretty easy with guys that had good instruction. If finding the aircraft/instructor is an impediment, it shouldn't hold him back from getting the license.

Last edited:
Back