Taildragger Insurance

idahoflier

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
idahoflier
I am considering a Super Cub, but insurance seems pretty expensive being 3x what I'm paying for my C172N. I'm a real low time taildragger pilot with ~ 30 hrs. Based on past experience does anyone have an idea of how much I could expect the premium to decrease with experience? Given the price of Super Cub's I would hate to go liability only...

Thanks!

You should see a small decrease at 100 hours in type but not a lot after that. It's a fair question to ask your insurer. Cubs are expensive to insure. I'm surprised your quote is only 3x!

Not cheap and getting more expensive. At least it's not a retract :dunno:

You should see a small decrease at 100 hours in type but not a lot after that. It's a fair question to ask your insurer. Cubs are expensive to insure. I'm surprised your quote is only 3x!

Bummer, that's what I was afraid of...

In the case of Super Cubs, I suspect the delta in insurance has more to do with the airplane being fabric and how they're commonly used than with it having the third wheel in the correct location. Every fabric covered airplane I've insured or gotten a quote on is higher than a comparable metal airplane. As mentioned, you might see a slight decrease with time in type but I doubt it will be a significant drop.

The other thing with Super Cubs is there is a subset of owners who fly them right up to and beyond the edge of their capabilities. Meaning a higher accident rate than many other types.

I think actuarial science just looks at numbers, not construction. Besides, tube and fabric planes are much less expensive to repair-rebuild. The problem is that Cubs are going for the same prices as Skywagons.

Pilot and passenger are less protected in a Cub than a Cessna. Especially overhead. I’m pleased at how helmets have become common. Not the norm but around these parts it’s better than 50/50. My Cub has a helmet for both seats.

Last edited:
When I bought my Wagon, I had about 160 hours total time. With 67 hours tailwheel, I had no time in type. Hull value of $90k my insurance was $2100 for a year. One year later at renewal I had about 200 hours tailwheel, I upped the hull value to $120k and the rate stayed the same.
Last year I got an instrument rating, that did nothing for the price. I also was up to about 450 hours tailwheel. Price did not change.

I posted this in another thread but I'll place it here also. Give Victoria a call. You'll thank me later ...

Victoria Neuville
Agent, Commercial Pilot, CFI

Aviation Insurance Resources (AIR)
P.O. BOX 32 | Frederick, MD 21705
Ph 301-682-6200 | Fax 301-682-9793
vneuville@air-pros.com | www.air-pros.com

If you guys want to experience high rates? Come to AK. Add floats and you get truly obscene rates, and no kiss.

Yeah, I would hate to see the quote for a Beech 18! ;-)

It ain’t for the faint of heart.

I was fortunate in that I picked a good time to get into the Twin Beech…back when underwriters were more open. It was still twice what my Baron was, but has gotten a little more reasonable now that I have 400 hours in the plane and 900 tailwheel hours.

But there are folks right now who want to get into a Beech 18 and they can’t find an insurance company to even quote them.

Iv not seen a decrease in mine but not a large increase others have got as I’ve added hours. I started w 150TT 0 TW 3 years ago. I’m now at about 450TT /300TW and insurance has remained pretty similar. I was told the drop I would have received was eaten by overall increase in premiums…

It ain’t for the faint of heart.

I was fortunate in that I picked a good time to get into the Twin Beech…back when underwriters were more open. It was still twice what my Baron was, but has gotten a little more reasonable now that I have 400 hours in the plane and 900 tailwheel hours.

But there are folks right now who want to get into a Beech 18 and they can’t find an insurance company to even quote them.

I’m curious, do the insurance companies look at tri gear 18s differently than conventional ones?

It would seem to me that any Beech 18 should be easier/cheaper to insure than a typical float plane or perhaps a pressurized twin. But maybe not.

I appreciate all of the responses! While I would love to transition to a Super Cub, I just can't justify the added expense. Maybe I can pick up a nice J3 for my Cub fix...

I appreciate all of the responses! While I would love to transition to a Super Cub, I just can't justify the added expense. Maybe I can pick up a nice J3 for my Cub fix...

The PA-12 generally seem to be valued lower than the 18s and are often dolled up like Super Cubs. I’d consider one of those before a J-3 if you’re wanting a Super Cub.

The PA-12 generally seem to be valued lower than the 18s and are often dolled up like Super Cubs. I’d consider one of those before a J-3 if you’re wanting a Super Cub.

I appreciate the suggestion and there are some nice Super Cruisers out there. But my Dad had a Super Cub and I have a lot of time in it as a kid. We actually flew it to Oshkosh twice. I just don't think a Super Cruiser would be the same...

I appreciate the suggestion and there are some nice Super Cruisers out there. But my Dad had a Super Cub and I have a lot of time in it as a kid. We actually flew it to Oshkosh twice. I just don't think a Super Cruiser would be the same...

It would be closer to a super cub than the J3 you mention would be.

At similar value a -12 costs as much as a Supercub to insure. To build a -12 to get -18 performance? You’ll have more into a -12. And it still won’t fly like an -18. If I was looking for an affordable Cub I’d watch for a PA-18-95 or a PA-11.

Back