Tailbeacon without pitot static check

manac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Manac
Plane is overdue for pitot static check.
Leave transponder off, stay out of the mode C vail etc.
Turn Tailbeacon on but it won’t work without transponder.
Legal to fly anywhere a transponder/ADSB is NOT required.
Or turn off Tailbeacon and placard inop.
Going to go make popcorn now.

I assume your transponder is also overdue. There's not really such a thing as a "pitot-static" check. The altimeter and altitude reporting devices need checking for IFR periodically. The encoder needs testing for any use if something has been done that might have induced an error.

I guess nothing precludes flying VFR with ADS-B and an encoder, but I don't think those will work in your situation, anyhow.

Plane is overdue for pitot static check.
Are you referring to the Part 411/413 checks?
Legal to fly anywhere a transponder/ADSB is NOT required.
Not unless you follow the requirements for inop equipment. If you want to fly to a place to have the checks performed you can get ATC exemption for the xspndr and file an ADAPT for the ADSB exemption... if you want to be legal.

Pretty sure transponder is required to be on all the time if you have one installed. It's not an option to "choose" to leave it off.

91.215 transponder only required A, B, C, airspace, and in mode C vail.
91.413 may not use transponder unless within proceeding 24 months has been tested and inspected bla bla bla.
ADSB 91.225 where required much like a mode C transponder plus over 10,000 ft. 91.225 f “must operate the equipment in transmit mode at all times” The Martha Rule.
99.9% of the country doesn’t need a transponder or adsb.
Strict reading of the regs is transponder off, adsb on but not working in my case. Stupid.

I see you have the Tailbeacon. I'm considering up grading to the TailbeaconX and that allows ditching of the Garmin 320A. The X needs a controller but that's a good incentive to install the AV30 that' I've been drooling over.

FWIW, I agree with @TonyG ...

uAvionix support clarified the issue.

My question to uAvionix:
My plane’s transponder is out of its 24 month check. I am not flying in any airspace that requires a transponder or adsb.
Per the regulations I can’t turn the transponder on (91.413). Also per the regulations I have to turn on the tailBeacon (91.225).
I knew that the tailBeacon requires the transponder for some part of its operation, I just wanted to know if it would provide some or all of the adsb information out.
I checked FlightAware and it did track my flight.

uAvionix answer:
The squawk will be 0000. It is very important that the tailBeacon not pick up some other squawk and send that out. Make sure the monitor threshold is set a high as it can go. Realize that once the transponder is turned back on that you will need to set the monitor threshold back to what it is currently at.

Back