Tail Winds Cafe at 44N GoFundMe

What were the upgrades that were required by the state/town for the restaurant? No chance of getting a waiver instead of shutting down a business while they attempt to get funding together?

What were the upgrades that were required by the state/town for the restaurant? No chance of getting a waiver instead of shutting down a business while they attempt to get funding together?
Does anyone know if this affects the Pilot Shop and SkyGeek at all? I love being 15 minutes away and can fly in for a part on short notice.

I think there were some posts about it on tailwinds Facebook page or in the gofundme page. I think I recall something about the ventilation system. It is a really old building.

The issue I have is now this building will sit there, unused generating 0 dollars in tax money for eternity because no restaurant owner will foot the bill to upgrade something in a rental building and the landlord just booted out the best option they had for a tenant. The airport will see a steady decline in traffic and again, less taxes for the town all over what’s probably around ~20,000. It’s mind boggling!

Those who are using this thread to argue about generational differences kindly take it else where. Those of us pilots who really liked this place and want to keep the discussion on that topic should be given that respect.

Whoa, I didn't know about this. That restaurant has been an institution around this neck of the woods forever. THE place to fly to. Can't believe it, very sad.

I think there were some posts about it on tailwinds Facebook page or in the gofundme page. I think I recall something about the ventilation system. It is a really old building.

The issue I have is now this building will sit there, unused generating 0 dollars in tax money for eternity because no restaurant owner will foot the bill to upgrade something in a rental building and the landlord just booted out the best option they had for a tenant. The airport will see a steady decline in traffic and again, less taxes for the town all over what’s probably around ~20,000. It’s mind boggling!

Those who are using this thread to argue about generational differences kindly take it else where. Those of us pilots who really liked this place and want to keep the discussion on that topic should be given that respect.

Agreed. I'm surprised something couldn't be worked out. I've heard margins on most restaurants are thin, and a burger place at a small airfield in a small town probably wasn't raking in the bucks. Shame the landlord and the restaurant couldn't find a way to keep it going.

Reminds me of the restaurant that was at Parlin field in NH. Closed due to the septic not being large enough, I believe. No one wanted to pay to increase the size of the septic tank to restaurant size, so the restaurant is closed. But at least the airfield has bikes you can borrow to get into town, which does have a few restaurants that are decent. Last time I flew there, the airport manager gave me and my friends a ride into town and back. Very nice people.

A gofund me just doesn't seem appropriate to save restaurant. Most businesses like this die because they are undercapitalized and/or not making money. There was a local eatery nearby that was a good breakfast and lunch place, open for at least 15 years. The owner's son wanted one of those giant 4x4 pick up trucks and convinced his mom, the owner to cosign for it. Well, he couldn't afford the payments, neither could she, so the truck got repossessed, wrecked her credit, she couldn't borrow for the business, and down the tubes it went. Seems like a tough business unless you are really good at it.

Back