Tail wheel

Luvrv8

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KCMA flyer
I have started tail wheel training over the weekend. I am flying a Fairchild PT19. This will be my second try, our CFI disappeared after a couple flights for bigger and better jobs.

I learned a lot. I think the old CFI was using kiddie gloves on me, doing a lot more in the back seat then I knew and he was telling me. I was very surprised when the tail came up the the plane made a left turn in a matter of a half second. After the flight my new CFI and I talked about it, I told him that never happened to me before, he said it did, it does it every time without the rudder input. I think I like my new CFI, he lets me experience these things the first time then talks me through it the next time.

Here is the 19 in flight

Last edited:
I have started tail wheel training over the weekend. I am flying a Fairchild PT19. This will be my second try, our CFI disappeared after a couple flights for bigger and better jobs.

I learned a lot. I think the old CFI was using kiddie gloves on me, doing a lot more in the back seat then I knew and he was telling me. I was very surprised when the tail came up the the plane made a left turn in a matter of a half second. After the flight my new CFI and I talked about it, I told him that never happened to me before, he said it did, it does it every time without the rudder input. I think I like my new CFI, he lets me experience these things the first time then talks me through it the next time.

Here is the 19 in flight

Learning tailwheel in a PT19, you lucky SOB :D

Actually no. The plane sat last year, we put 5 hours on her due to no pilot. A friend is a Pitts acro pilot and we got him checked out, he put 20 or so hours in her then started training me. I can tell you that no matter what I screw up he gets it back. My IQ went to zero when I jumped in this but I am getting better.

If you are thinking it's the CAF 19 this one is not, it belongs to a friend. I get flying rights to her due to my help in the restroration. A second one will be done in a few months.

Cool. I earned my TW endorsement in the 140 one of the local air show guys has in the east hangars.

One thing you will learn with TWs: emergency takeoffs Do exist.

i am flying with his friend.

Crazy story about the PT pilots. We needed a CFI who was going to train us. I asked my friend and his partner in the Pitts if they would help us. I was thinking this was going to be boring to them and after a flight they would be gone. They both flew it, we even got your tail wheel CFI in it (it was Bill right?). They all loved it and are happy to train us without a fee. They both have the hangar keys and can fly it for the price of fuel.

Last edited:
You'd have to be dead inside to not jump at the chance to instruct in a PT19

Yup, it was Bill.

That Pitts/TW gang in the east hangars are all great folks that fly solely for the joy of the plane and sky. Yours is not the first set of keys on their walls, and if you get them hangar flying on hall pass days you'll hear some crazy stories.

They are both friends of mine. My hangar is by theirs. The stories get better when the high end scotch starts to get passed around.

Back