Tail wheel training in northern AZ?

gil_mor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
gil_mor
Hi everyone,

After reading here, I realized that if you have a PPL and 100 hours ASEL, you could possibly tow gliders and get paid. How cool is that?

Since most towers are tail wheel planes - I should go get myself an endorsement.

There are a few places in Phoenix, and one school in Prescott.
Do you know of any place or person in northern AZ that will rent me his plane (instruction optional, my CFI could probably do it too).

Also, do you think its feasible that a 100 hour pilot would get a job towing gliders?

Thanks!

Define... "get a job towing gliders".
Yes the FAA says Pvt pilot and 100hrs PIC.
Most clubs are using tail draggers. The club insurance policies recently changed, the insuance wanted 200 hrs.
Most tail draggers used are high performance, so you'll need an HP endorsement too.
Some do use 180hp scouts etc, but those can be anemic on hot days.

Insurance companies may still require a commercial rated tow pilot for commercial operations offering glider rides to the general public. Not a problem in a club operation only towing club members. But most clubs do not pay their tow pilots, it's a volunteer thing.

Good luck.

Ouch, thanks for the info.

I fly a 182, so the HP is not a problem.
I wouldn't mind volunteering (if I don't have to pay for fuel), but i'm not at the 200hour mark yet.

Any more opinions?

Can't help you with finding a tailwheel plane, but for the towing, have you talked to any of the local glider operations about the possibility of being a tow pilot? I wouldn't make the assumption that they will take you on as a tow pilot just because you meet whatever minimum requirements they have. Actually, you might also ask them if their tow plane is available for tailwheel training.

There's a glider club based at one of the airports near me. I think all their tow pilots are club members rather than any of the numerous non club pilots in the area. I can see how a club would rather have tow pilots who are invovled and interested in gliders as opposed to someone just doing it as a way to get paid without needing a commericial certificate.

We are a club, only club members can tow, it's an insuance thing. You have to pay dues to be in the club plus SSA membership. The club takes care of the fuel and maintenance on the tow ship, and fuel. But do be expected to lend a hand changing tires and oil.

We prefer our tow pilots to be glider pilots first.

Back