Tail wheel lesson/spin training

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
This Sunday I think I had the most fun a person can have in a plane. For starters it was my first tail wheel lesson. And I must say I felt out of control and had a hard time when we picked up speed! But regardless it is a lot more feet work and very fun. Then we went up to do some spin training at my request and oh wow was that a blast. Did some falling leaf stalls and spins. The first spin was some crazy pucker factor seeing earth fill the windscreen. The feeling of the wing dropping and rolling over was a cool but stressful feeling if those two can be used together. I actually took video of me on the first spin and you can see me tighten up and I held my breath releasing it after the maneuver ( had no idea I did that until I saw the video). Man it was a blast and I cannot wait for lesson two.

For those who haven't, go do some spin training fun and a confidence builder!

I have been thinking about doing some spin training not for the fun, but to truly understand how the aircraft feels and how to recover it.

But it sounds like a blast too....

I was like you. I took it to understand spins and how they start and what it looks like so that I can get out of one. I've read to much about the stall spin turing base to final and that is what prompted the spin training. If at the start of a spin when the wing drops rapidly you can recover in about 100 feet. That is refreshing to know to say the least as long as you keep cool and correct it. So the base to final does not have to be a death sentence if things go south in a hurry. But obviously avoiding the things that would lead to that is best.

But the fun factor was so high I couldn't believe it! I had a grin on my face for hours like it was my first solo!

Simtech you should share the video - nothing like watching and learning from others. I've got a lot of tailwheel time, but no spin training - it's on the list :)

Simtech you should share the video - nothing like watching and learning from others. I've got a lot of tailwheel time, but no spin training - it's on the list :)

I will share it! Nothing special but once I get it edited and uploaded I'll share the link.

Back