Tail Plane Icing (Excellent NASA Video)

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I posted this in Pilot Training becuase as we all know our PP certificate is a license to learn.

I was going to attched it to the KBUF accident thread but felt it was more important as a training tool but I think many of you will agree that the scenarios they describe is erily similar to what the situation in BUF may have been.

Please watch this video. I think it is excellent perhaps those with more experience will already know this but they can just think of it as a " reminder " I found this explained a lot. I hope you find it helpful!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2238323060735779946

Re: Colgan Q400 Down near KBUF?

Maybe not as much as if it were a low tail, but it certainly would change the airflow over the T-tail to some extent. The T-tail is not that far above the flaps of this high-wing airplane, and the flaps will create downwash a considerable distance above as well as below the level of the wing. I think the major advantage of T-tail in aircraft such as this is to reduce cabin vibration by getting the tail out of the propwash.

I think this vid may have been posted already, but it goes into the details of how adding flaps causes changes in horizontal stabilizer performance.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2238323060735779946

Excellent video Adam
Thanks for posting it

Mark B

Adam, Thanks for posting this. It's very much an eye opener.

I'm wondering what kinds of simulator training takes place the various professional pilots here have had with regard to aircraft icing. Do they include tail-plane stall scenarios?

We have the ability to simulate icing conditions on our glass Frasca simulator but I've never dealt with it and I doubt anyone else here (at my school) has. This film has encouraged me to dig into that area and learn more about how I can apply it to training, especially with instrument students.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting- thanks for posting.

What sort of plane was behind the narrator with both jets & turboprops?

Attachments

• NASA.jpg
    NASA.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 12
That really is an excellent video, I learned a lot from it. Thanks for posting, Adam!

Back