TAFs & METARs on Cell phone

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
A while back, there was one of the Internet outfits which would, if you texted a message with one or more airport identifiers, reply with the coed TAF(s) and METAR(s) for the airport(s).

I have changed cellphones since then (it was memorized in the phone), and I cannot recall who / how it was done.

This was a free service.

Anyone remember?

I just have a link in my PDA to provide a page with a select group of airports I've determined. And the source? ADDS, of course! It's valid for aviation use and there is no disclaimer like Flightaware has. I bring up the page and get both METARs and TAFs for north Georgia and down through central Georgia.

http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metars/index.php?submit=1&station_ids=[KGVL,KGVL,KAHN,KPDK,KLZU,KRMG,KFTY,KATL,KCHA,KBHM,KSCG,KMCN,KSAV]&chk_metars=on&chk_tafs=on&std_trans=raw

Here is the text but ignore the link. The way this system interprets use of brackets, it cuts off at the first left bracket. You'll have to copy the entire line as text into the browser and modify it to meet your needs. It should be usuable on any web-enabled phone with the only limitation being the amount of text allowed.

For some odd reason, ADDS won't let me have simply KGVL for my first entry. It cuts off that airport entirely. So, I listed it a second time and it comes up normal. To alter it, all you need to do is pick your own group of airports to enter between the brackets. Should you desire the translated English version, change the "raw" to "translated" and you'll get just that.

A while back, there was one of the Internet outfits which would, if you texted a message with one or more airport identifiers, reply with the coed TAF(s) and METAR(s) for the airport(s).

I have changed cellphones since then (it was memorized in the phone), and I cannot recall who / how it was done.

This was a free service.

Anyone remember?

Aside from those mentioned, you can point your cell phone's browser to http://www.instantg.com/ which is meant for exactly what you describe. It gives METARs and TAFs and will also give 6-hour trend indications.

Aside from those mentioned, you can point your cell phone's browser to http://www.instantg.com/ which is meant for exactly what you describe. It gives METARs and TAFs and will also give 6-hour trend indications.

Huh...entered the airport into the station ID block but it does not recognize the "enter" command, just goes back into the edit mode each time. Probably a hardware issue with the WML/WAP code.

I wrote a little script on my web site to do this. It uses the adds.aviationweather link that Ken mentioned.

Anyone here is welcome to use it. As a security measure I keep a list of email/text message addresses to respond to. Easy way for me would be for you to text "POA Wx" to me at joe [at] areeda [dot] com. I'll put you in the list.

Then text a list of ICAO ID's to wx [at] areeda [dot] com and it will respond with the metar I don't have TAFs yet. My cell has a limit of about 3 airports at a time.

No warranty, but it works.

Joe

Back