Tad bit cold

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Can you say cold?
[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KTOB 061235Z AUTO 26008KT 10SM SCT090 M25/M27 A3012 RMK AO2

= -12 F

..Let's just say my car didn't much care for that. It made some awful noises followed by me deciding I'll be late for work while I find some way to plug it in.

I'm thinking it had something to do with the angle the car was parked that parts of the engine were not getting oil.

sucks.

oh well.
[/FONT]

jangell said:
Can you say cold?
[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KTOB 061235Z AUTO 26008KT 10SM SCT090 M25/M27 A3012 RMK AO2

= -12 F

..Let's just say my car didn't much care for that. It made some awful noises followed by me deciding I'll be late for work while I find some way to plug it in.

I'm thinking it had something to do with the angle the car was parked that parts of the engine were not getting oil.

sucks.

oh well.
[/FONT]

According to the forecast last night, Souix Falls was supposed to be the coldest around here. We were a bit warmer than you at -7F. I'm glad my car overnights in a (relatively) warm garage. Getting back in it to go to hockey today isn't going to be pleasant though. At least I remembered to bring the skates and gear inside so I won't be putting on "iced skates". Days like these and the ones where it rains then snows are times when I really miss the indoor parking I had at my old office.

Jesse...you live in Minnesota and don't have a heavy-duty mile-long extension cord for your vehicle???:eek:

Well...I am the pot calling the kettle black, since I have lived here for seven years without even having a block heater on my truck, but the only time that trusty hunk of junk didn't pop right off was five winters ago when it was -30 (without a wind chill.) ::crossing fingers::

Been right around -5 to 3 degrees here most of the past seven days and it's actually WARM this morning at 7 degrees. Looking for a little heat wave the end of this week when it hits the teens.

terry

Its been unseasnoably cold in Colorado also. I think it going down to -5 tonight.

lancefisher said:
I'm glad my car overnights in a (relatively) warm garage. Getting back in it to go to hockey today isn't going to be pleasant though. At least
Usually it's not a problem for me....Best investment I ever made was installing a two-way remote start system. Although it took me about eight hours.

I was expecting to go outside this morning to a warm car. Instead I noticed it wasn't running.. which can't be a good sign.

terzap said:
Jesse...you live in Minnesota and don't have a heavy-duty mile-long extension cord for your vehicle???
Something tells me I'll be buying one soon.

update I downloaded the manual for my remote start system. Turns out it has a timer mode. At night I can set it so that it starts every three hours for about 10 minutes. Perfect!

Last edited:
Man! It was cold here, this morning.... 30F.

Anthony said:
Its been unseasnoably cold in Colorado also. I think it going down to -5 tonight.

Yep. It's been getting down to 10F lately. Tonight they're calling for -3F in COS. I might actually have to turn the heater on for the first time this year.

There's a lady from England visiting her friend/relative/whatever in the apartment upstairs for christmas. She thought I was a fruitcake being out working under the hood of the jeep wearing jeans and a short sleeve tshirt about 10 minutes ago. Current temp: 17F and very lightly snowing.

SCCutler said:

You Dallas boys scare me, Spike.

I was in Plano last week, it was 34F when I went out to the car. Me: Shirt, tie, fall-weight wool slacks. Woman waiting for bus on Plano Parkway: Parka, boots, scarf, gloves, hat.

34F!!! I swear, you Texans are lizards.

Cheers,

-Andrew

SCCutler said:

Bah humbug.

The sun keeps trying to come through a low lying stratus layer. It's a balmy 3.7°F right now.

This morning at 0725 LCL:

fgcason said:
Bah humbug.

The sun keeps trying to come through a low lying stratus layer. It's a balmy 3.7°F right now.

This morning at 0725 LCL:

Frank. I'm coming down to the Springs. Its "up" to -6 F here in Lone Tree.

Anthony said:
Frank. I'm coming down to the Springs. Its "up" to -6 F here in Lone Tree.

Frosty! :goofy:

PIREP: The zamboni machines have been out this morning. They took the high friction snow right off the surface of the ice underneath. The drivers here have less skill/experience on snow and ice than someone from Kenya.

Stay home. :yes:

My airplane almost didn't start in midland Tx around 9 tonight! Dat's brrrr..... 'code', - fo' Texas!
(but it was a beeeyoootiful starry night. I also finageled tailwinds both ways!!)

Listen - if I wanted it to be this cold, I'd have stayed in New Hampshire.

Currently 6F. Windchill -8F.

Its so cold, its painful to go outside. And my battery in my truck died. Was lots of fun replacing the battery today. Can you say "COLD AIR meets COLD HANDS and COLD METAL?"

Please warm up.

SkyHog said:
Listen - if I wanted it to be this cold, I'd have stayed in New Hampshire.

Its so cold, its painful to go outside. And my battery in my truck died. Was lots of fun replacing the battery today. Can you say "COLD AIR meets COLD HANDS and COLD METAL?"

Please warm up.
But it's a dry cold.:rofl:

SkyHog said:
Its so cold, its painful to go outside. And my battery in my truck died. Was lots of fun replacing the battery today. Can you say "COLD AIR meets COLD HANDS and COLD METAL?" Please warm up.
Whatever ya do, don't lick your airplane!!

(uh, well, assuming that there was a chance of that in the first place. . .:rolleyes: )

I am glad I have a garage, which never gets below 57 degrees. then again we don't get as cold here, as you guys do...

SkyHog said:
Can you say "COLD AIR meets COLD HANDS and COLD METAL?"

Now try changing your most inconvinently located spark plug and have the thing loosen on you all at once and bang your fingers on something with the wrench.

SkyHog said:
Please warm up.

Yea. Two weeks of delayed needed maintenance due to low temperatures here. I could do it but it's easier on the fingers to wait until it warms up into the 50's. Cold soaked engines are no fun.

fgcason said:
Now try changing your most inconvinently located spark plug and have the thing loosen on you all at once and bang your fingers on something with the wrench.
In that case, go to tool box, select largest hammer, smash toes. Works every time, you'll forget about your banged fingers.

yeah..winter and working on cars is not fun.

I put the remote start & security in my car last year... in the street.. in the snow.. was about 10 degrees.

Took me ..at least 8 hours.

There is quite a bit involved with the factory security system that you have to bypass, along with all the sensors for the alarm. One of those deals that it's worth it to do it RIGHT the first time.

the worst though for me was swapping an engine in janurary in someones driveway last year.. took the entire weekend...not fun at all.

just part of living in minnesota I guess...

I can't wait for the day to where I have a heated garage.... Another 40 years and I'll have it. :)

Back