Tachycardia

T

Tachycardia

During my last annual physical exam, the nurse measured a HR of 105. As a result, my PCP entered a "tachycardia" diagnosis into my medical record and ordered a thyroid test which came back normal. I called my AME and he mentioned that 110 is the threshold of tachycardia for the FAA and I should be okay. Is this correct? Would I need to check yes to "18(g) heart or vascular trouble" going forward?

When it comes to having an official diagnosis from a doctor, my philosophy is it is always best to check yes and be told I didn't have to, vs checking no and be called out later for not.

how many times was this tested? Were you given a chance to relax and have it taken again?

how many times was this tested? Were you given a chance to relax and have it taken again?
As I remembered, once and it was not retaken. I was not even aware of the diagnosis until I noticed it under the "conditions" section of my insurance webpage. Got the 105HR and thyroid test from my medical record and saw no additional information related to the diagnosis.

This may give you a little insight into what to expect.

So, during a hospitalization for something else. There was one page in the notes that referenced arrhythmia. It was an error. The hospital didn’t know where it came from. My PCP called to clarify the note as well, and they couldn’t figure it out.

My PCP wrote a report that the note was written in error, and it had been followed up with. Not good enough for the feds. They want an echo and 24 monitor. A tad annoying, but I’ll play ball.

I am just assuming, but I suspect they will want something similar.

When it comes to having an official diagnosis from a doctor, my philosophy is it is always best to check yes and be told I didn't have to, vs checking no and be called out later for not.
A much better philosophy is to have a consult with your AME to discuss it prior to officially checking any boxes.

A much better philosophy is to have a consult with your AME to discuss it prior to officially checking any boxes.
That does sound like a better approach. Maybe I am too cautious from reading threads about some AME's that gave the wrong advice to the applicant. I would make sure the AME consulted is an expert in the particular situation before checking no on a box that has a diagnosis in my medical records.

This may give you a little insight into what to expect.

So, during a hospitalization for something else. There was one page in the notes that referenced arrhythmia. It was an error. The hospital didn’t know where it came from. My PCP called to clarify the note as well, and they couldn’t figure it out.

My PCP wrote a report that the note was written in error, and it had been followed up with. Not good enough for the feds. They want an echo and 24 monitor. A tad annoying, but I’ll play ball.

I am just assuming, but I suspect they will want something similar.
Thank you for sharing this! This is very helpful.

Did you go through this during your medical renewal? Or immediately after your hospitalization? Assuming you were holding a medical at that time. Can you also share how long it took for you to get everything sorted?

Thank you for sharing this! This is very helpful.

Did you go through this during your medical renewal? Or immediately after your hospitalization? Assuming you were holding a medical at that time. Can you also share how long it took for you to get everything sorted?

After a renewal, but they want a longer observation period for something else. I think their logic was, ‘since you are already waiting, then give us clarification on this issue.’

I did not check the box, as I was advised not to since it was not a diagnosis and written in error. Either way, I am going to do the testing for it.

Back