Tach Time v. Foreflight Logbook Time

Let’s say you’re a student pilot doing your training at Addison airport in the Dallas area. IF all your taxi time is flight time you will be logging a lot of time waiting in line in the taxiway. That time is not going to be very indicative your flight experience.

I would argue that while flight time may be indicative of experience (time in the seat) it is rarely indicative of skill level in any case. Should we argue that time on autopilot is not loggable?

Some of the time I notice FF will count my time on the ground in a car as flight time. All it does is record time based on the accelerometer in the iPad/iPhone at a preset value. That means it needs to be corrected to Hobbs time or 1.2x Tach time.

I never liked the idea of using "clock time". I can't even say how many times I forgot to jot the time, or start the stopwatch until a few minutes into it...and sometimes more than a few!

Tach time or Hobbs time, whichever is more. Next time check both after a long flight (2+ hours). You’ll find that the tach time will exceed the Hobbs time around then. It’s not always Hobbs.

Back