Tach Drive Seal Replacement - O-290-D

hamer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
hamer
My bird has the O-290-D, which I believe has a little more complicated to replace tach drive seal. My seal leaked, the oil leaked into the cable and into the tach. I bought a new cable and seal and had the tach rebuilt/cleaned.

My question is if anyone has any suggestions for getting the old seal out. With a little google searching it appears like it's a rather tricky seal to remove. There's a specialized tool to remove it, but it's $314, seems hardly worth it for a (hopefully) one time job.

Any experience or insight? Thanks as always.
tachdriveseal.png

The real trick will be to get the new seal in straight. A picture of the new seal and the flex cable end would help. I assume it seals on a larger OD of the cable end, but how does that keep oil from migrating up the flex cable. Maybe you need a good motorcycle mechanic?

The o-290-d seal part number is the same as other Lycomings, so nothing special. But they can be a bit of a pain to install well when the accessory case is on the bench let alone trying to do it on the engine on the airplane.

Looking at that picture it appears there is no seal in it now. I suspect your problems stem from a lack of a seal rather than a bad seal.

Back