Tablet recomendation

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
My brother's girlfriend (60ish) wants a tablet and he asked me advice on what to get her for her birthday. All I know is Apple due to FF.

He said he would like to keep it around $300. That pretty much eliminates anything new from Apple, and I don't think he considered a data plan.

He lives in the Atlanta area (Lawrenceville).

I have asked him what she wants to do with it, but he wants it to be a surprise so he doesn't want to ask her and he knows NOTHING about tablets. He still uses an old flip phone. But she has mentioned that she wants a tablet.

I know that's not much information, but lack of info doesn't usually stop opinions here, so what is your opinion on what she should get, and what carrier should she use. I have heard that T-Mobile has a pretty good senior discount plan. Is taking her to a T-Mobile store and looking at what they have a good idea?

If she's generally using the tablet where wifi is available (e.g. at home), no data plan is necessary. In that case buying from a phone store is probably silly.

If she does need a data plan, what carrier is best depends on where she lives or travels as different carriers are better in different areas.

...lack of info doesn't usually stop opinions here...
That's funny.

If she has a Bluetooth capable phone, she can just share the phone data connection to the tablet. If she doesn't have a Bluetooth phone, maybe your brother buys her a new phone and tablet. I personally would do that before I signed up for a second data plan (or one plan only for my tablet).

That's funny.

If she has a Bluetooth capable phone, she can just share the phone data connection to the tablet. If she doesn't have a Bluetooth phone, maybe your brother buys her a new phone and tablet. I personally would do that before I signed up for a second data plan (or one plan only for my tablet).
Good idea. I"ll ask him about that.

What type of smartphone does she have?

If she likes her smartphone, then that could help narrow the selection down.

and, as mentioned, if she has a data plan for her smartphone, then she can use that as a hotspot for the tablet , when needed

What type of smartphone does she have?

If she likes her smartphone, then that could help narrow the selection down.

and, as mentioned, if she has a data plan for her smartphone, then she can use that as a hotspot for the tablet , when needed

This. If she's an Apple user(and likes it), I would stick with iPad. No reason to try to figure out Android if she doesn't have to. Reverse is also true. If she doesn't have a smartphone, perhaps this is a better present :)

Depends on what she wants to use it for. She might really be asking for a $120 Kindle.

if she has a data plan for her smartphone, then she can use that as a hotspot for the tablet , when needed

Not all data plans allow the phone to be used as a hotspot. Mine doesn't.
I could pay an upcharge to a plan with my current carrier that does allow hotspot use, so this isn't a hardware limitation. But if she has a budget plan, she may need to budget more if she wants to use the phone as a hotspot.

Not all data plans allow the phone to be used as a hotspot. Mine doesn't.
I could pay an upcharge to a plan with my current carrier that does allow hotspot use, so this isn't a hardware limitation. But if she has a budget plan, she may need to budget more if she wants to use the phone as a hotspot.

true - but at least a couple of T-mobile plans allow hotspots ... including plans for 55 and up.

I think it's kind of mean to give someone a gift that requires a subscription... So get a wifi tablet and a case, that runs android. At 60ish, I might suggest something with a larger screen, and not so much worry about the other features as much.

That's funny.

funny and accurate.

Back