tablet/phone based flight instruments for backseat?

lukezimmerman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
57NC
Anyone have PIREPs for android apps that could provide some “flight instruments” for the backseater in a tandem aircraft (RV8), using the device’s INTERNAL sensors? Reliability/accuracy isn’t that big a deal, as long as it’s close … just something for backseater situational awareness while they try flying some maneuvers from the rear.

I’ve tried a couple apps that attempt to simulate an AI or AI/DG using the device’s gyros and magnetometers, but they seemed pretty glitchy.

What would be really nice would be a “5 pack” like my Garmin 396 provides (see pic), using purely GPS-derived info (ground speed, gps altitude, mag track, etc). Seems like a phone/tablet app could do the same thing quite easily … I just haven’t seen someone try an app for it.

Just looking for ideas…

Pretty much any EFB on the market can do this. Do you already have a FF/GP subscription? I think even Avare (free) now has an instrument display.

No, I don't have a FF/GP subscription ... because I'm a cheapskate, that's why I was looking for a cheapskate solution. I like Avare and Flt Plan Go, because they're free. I have not seen that either app has implemented an instrument display. Did I miss something?

Back