Tablet/phone based charts

Avare, stratux, android tablet

Yep. I have tried all of them and I use Avare and DroidEFB both now. They have the least annoying interface.

I used FlPlan Go until Garmin made people pay for "premium services;" it is still free and good, though.

I use my Stratux for the GPS/ADS-B/ADAHRS and have had only one signal loss/jamming occurance.

ADS-B In for weather and traffic is a game changer for safety when flying VFR.

Until today I was a Garmin Pilot proponent. But I just discovered that their answer to a GDL-50 firmware update failure is "buy another one". I have decided to switch to the Foreflight ecosystem, where there is actual competition among hardware devices. More than a little frustrated that I will not be able to use my Android phone as a backup device to my iPad mini.

Hi.I tested the apk / AOS a while back but I could not find a procedure to use the FAA / Aviation charts. Is there a procedure to use them?
Thanks.
First, I'm not advocating for any particular app or solution. I'm simply describing what I use.

I am PC and iPad based. I download the FAA Zip files to my PC, muck with them a bit extracting what I need, then transfer to my iPad using iTunes. I have a cheat sheet with my procedure. PM for a copy.

I do all my flight planning (when I do it) on my PC, then transfer, routes, tracks, waypoints, and marks to my iPad. I use a bluetooth GPS puck atop the panel. iPad location services as a backup.

It's not an integrated solution, but I'm also not trapped in someone's "ecosystem", and my needs are simple.

Hi.
It's not an integrated solution,

OK, thanks.
I was just more curious than anything, I like to test all the Moving map software that I can find but if it gets too complicated to use I would rather use what is set up for pilots. None of them are perfect but I find Avare, which is also free, useful for what I need.
I really do not want, or need, all these features that some of the users go ga ga about, give me the charts, some GPS guidance, and the rest I can get on the ground and or use ATC and my visual scan when flying.

honestly I think it’s what any of us get used to first... then the other one seems clunky n weird... obviously they both work so it certainly is a matter of preference :)
I had an Android first - for most purposes wouldn't go back to Android.

ADS-B In for weather and traffic is a game changer for safety when flying VFR.

Until today I was a Garmin Pilot proponent. But I just discovered that their answer to a GDL-50 firmware update failure is "buy another one". I have decided to switch to the Foreflight ecosystem, where there is actual competition among hardware devices. More than a little frustrated that I will not be able to use my Android phone as a backup device to my iPad mini.

There's more than one Apple manufacturer? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

26K posts is a lot of time. Hope it fulfills you. Bye.

when henning hit that point, isn’t that when they started talking about decrementing his post count? Or was it 40k?

Wait, someone dropped out because Apple was criticized?

And for me, the iPad Kool-Aid IS tasty. The rest, not so much.

Avare on a nexus which has a GPS receiver. Not a techie and no not care about all the latest gizmos.
WILL

Avare on a Samsung Tab A 8” on the yoke with a Ram X-mount. It’s my primary source for charts and plates IFR.

I also just picked up an Onn 8” tab at WM for $89 as a backup (I posted about that separately). The latter actually runs faster than the 3 year old SamTab since it’s Android 10 vs 9 but the screen is a little darker.

Avare shows traffic well but the NEXRAD isn’t nearly as good as on my Garmin Aera getting ADS-B from a GDL50. I would not depend on the radar via Avare (I still haven’t figured out how old the data is and how to loop it); the Garmin is almost identical to what I had with XM on a Garmin 396. That level of info has been a godsend many times already.

I have a FreeFlight RANGR for ADS-B in and out and it feeds Avare.

Except for the radar weather, Avare is all I personally need for IFR flying. I won’t deny having the Aera/GDL50 is an awesome backup/supplement. But for VFR, Avare would more than suffice.

Yup. Samsung Tab A for under $200 on the amazon. Has GPS and cell sim slot. 32Mb and 64Mb versions. Runs Pilot very well.

Was looking at iFly, looks interesting. Does it offer vector-based maps like GP and FF, or just digitized charts?

FF has the worst pricing structure, IMO. Lame to charge double for hazard alerts.

Was looking at iFly, looks interesting. Does it offer vector-based maps like GP and FF, or just digitized charts?

FF has the worst pricing structure, IMO. Lame to charge double for hazard alerts.

Yea, it has vector maps, which I prefer as well.

Back