T6 Texan Down Punta Gorda

iflyvfr

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Greg
My Network Admin just came in my office to show off her shiny new Microsoft Surface. . .and pulled up her Dad's FB page. On it he had photos of the airplane he had just ridden as a pax to a dead stick landing in a cow pasture over the weekend.

She only found out about it on FB but is headed for a visit to PG tomorrow on spring break. From his description on his page it was a T6 Texan, other sites call it a SNJ5 Navy Trainer. The plane started smoking, losing oil & predictably the engine quit shortly after that . Whomever the pilot was talking to at the time allegedly advised him to lower the gear, but he opted for a GU landing citing the terrain, the fact they had smoke in the cockpit, etc. From the photos on his FB page, plane was damaged but pilot made a good decision based on the outcome.

http://www.aviationinspector.com/2017/04/snj5-navy-trainer-lost-power-unable-make-runway/

Here's a little bit of audio:
http://www.nbc-2.com/story/35048729/plane-crashes-near-punta-gorda-airport

Not much press of the incident, probably because no one was killed (fortunately!) The one short article about it mentioned no cows were injured. :cool:

Glad everyone made it out okay and that no prime rib was harmed. They are tough old planes though, should be back before you know it.

From his description on his page it was a T6 Texan, other sites call it a SNJ5 Navy Trainer.
The AT-6D and SNJ-5 are really the same airplane. Just a different data plate. What confuses people even more is that many SNJs today are flying around in Army colors and vice versa.

The AT-6D and SNJ-5 are really the same airplane. Just a different data plate. What confuses people even more is that many SNJs today are flying around in Army colors and vice versa.
I was always under the impression(opinion) that most of them(the large majority) were built for the Navy?

I was always under the impression(opinion) that most of them(the large majority) were built for the Navy?
According to wiki, they built 4388 AT-6Ds (most produced model), 1573 of those went to the Navy as SNJ-5s.

It is interesting though, because (for whatever reason) it does seem like there are a lot more SNJ-5s still flying (and listed on the various sale sites) than AT-6Ds.

Last edited:
Back