T28 to LSA, which LSA

Areeda

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Areeda
First of all this is not me, at least not yet, but I will save the thread.

A friend of mine who used to own (and fly in formation with me) a nice -28 asked me which LSA he should look at.

I don't know if it's financial or medical (and don't care).

I only know the CT because of a friend who teaches in them. What else should he look at.

Thanks,
Joe

If it were me, I'd look at something that has market share or something manufactured by somebody that you know will be around. For instance, I really liked the Sky Arrow, but it seems they're not doing so well right now.

If it were me, that really leaves three entrants.

1) CT
2) Cessna Skycatcher
3) (Possibly the) Cirrus SRS (if it comes to market well)

Then again, I've not even seen any of them so I don't really know what I'm talking about. :D

One of the Cub clones?

Depends somewhat on the mission...

Again, another one who doesn't know what they are talking about.

One of the Cub clones?

Depends somewhat on the mission...

Again, another one who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Hmm, yeah. Also a good choice. I don't think Cubcrafters is going anywhere.

Flight Design is the market leader with the CT and LS models. The folks that own seem to like them. You can learn more at www.ctflyer.com After that comes Remos and Tecnam. Both are very good airplanes and shoul dbe around for a while. Tecnam offers a low wing model and several high wing models. Another choice is the Sportcruiser. It is a nice plane but the steadiness of the company could be an issue. The original company CZAW went TU and has been replaced by the Czech Sport Aircraft company http://www.czechsportaircraft.com/ which offers three configurations. Of course these are all new airplanes, although there are some used planes in the marketplace. You can find Remos info at www.remos.com and tecnam info at http://www.tecnamaircraft.com/ The US distributer is here in the Atlanta area and are great people. All of these are Rotax powered airplanes. Another information source to check out is www.sportpilottalk.com Good Luck.

I've flown a few (yes, big ol' me).

The Sport Cub, well, flies like a Cub. That's not a compliment, BTW - The control harmony kinda sucks. It's very doggy in roll. But, it's a lot easier to get into than a normal Cub, it's still neat as ever to fly around with the door and windows open, and it's a fun plane for those who enjoy the challenge of a taildragger. The new Super Sport Cub with its big engine and 2500fpm climb rate would be even better! Plus, they're made in the USA, which ought to count for something. :yes:

The Evektor SportStar is another very popular model that I don't think has been mentioned yet. It's both fun to fly and easy to fly, with GREAT control harmony. For someone who doesn't want a tailwheel or a challenge and just wants to fly around in a fun little airplane and poke holes in the sky, this one will do the job very well. :yes:

T-28 to a LSA? That's gotta be like going from a Corvette to a motor scooter, there can be no comparison. My thought would be anything that fits him, and as said above, he will be able to get it serviced.

John

I reccomend trying to find one with a descent usefull load, too. There are some that you can but 600+ pounds or so in, and some that you're hard pressed to get 300 in.

I reccomend trying to find one with a descent usefull load, too. There are some that you can but 600+ pounds or so in, and some that you're hard pressed to get 300 in.

My previous post pretty much included those that have the highest useful load in the category.

Any of the Tecnams are great. Sierra if he likes low wing, one of the P92 variants or the Bravo if he like high wing.

Thanks for the good info. I'll send him the thread and see if I can get him to join our forum.

Joe

The Jabiru is big, because it's actually a 4 seater in Australia. High wing, if that matters.

I like the Remos G3. They made a lot of mods to the new generation, plus the wings are foldable. You can pack it up and put it in an enclosed trailer in about 10 minutes. No hangar needed. Nice feature.

The Evektor looks very sporty. Haven't flown it, but I hear good things about it.

Personally, I've been virtually kicking the tires on 65hp T-crafts. Seems like a nice option.

A friend of mine who used to own (and fly in formation with me) a nice -28 asked me which LSA he should look at.

I only know the CT because of a friend who teaches in them. What else should he look at.

Thanks,
Joe

Climbing out of a T-28, and then flying anything else, will feel like a LSA.

The Sport Cub, well, flies like a Cub. That's not a compliment, BTW - The control harmony kinda sucks. It's very doggy in roll. But, it's a lot easier to get into than a normal Cub, it's still neat as ever to fly around with the door and windows open, and it's a fun plane for those who enjoy the challenge of a taildragger. The new Super Sport Cub with its big engine and 2500fpm climb rate would be even better! Plus, they're made in the USA, which ought to count for something. :yes:
The Sport Cub gives you options with regard to unimproved landing areas, as well. 26" and 29" bush tires are available. My 100-hp Sport Cub has 8.50 tires, and as long as weight limit is observed I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere a similarly-equipped Super Cub would go.

The Sport Cub gives you options with regard to unimproved landing areas, as well. 26" and 29" bush tires are available. My 100-hp Sport Cub has 8.50 tires, and as long as weight limit is observed I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere a similarly-equipped Super Cub would go.

Oh yeah - It's a great little plane. I just wish they'd have taken the opportunity to "fix" the ailerons like Aviat did with the Husky in 2005, as that'd have made it even better! :yes:

Thanks,
Joe

If it's Medical, I would steer him towards one of the high performance motor gliders. If It's financial, I'd steer him towards a Luscombe 8x, any but the E model qualify for use under SP. After looking again at the offerings at S-n-F this year, there's none of the new ones I would buy. The value/quality I see just isn't there.

Back