T182 production run

hindsight2020

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
hindsight2020
Perusing through SBs and list prices for Textron actuator bodies and pivots for R182 and TR182s... and yeah done with that. I'm a Lyco fan, but even I recognize the limits of my religiosity. :D

So then I stumbled into a blurb about the T182 (not 182T, not T182T.....thank you cessna nomenclature, what madness), and realized that thing actually has the turbo-normalized-piped (aka TR182 setup) Lyco on it! Went from six to midnight. Then went into the TCDS and they have this thing pared with the 182R, no serial number distinction. Some rando google-fu says only 67 built? womp womp. :(

So asking the POA brain trust, what's the deal with this unicorn? Any go-to dealer sources if one were really dead set on finding one? I'd ask about the legality and/or the economics of bolting the engine into an 182R but I already suspect the answer, so I won't belabor that point. Thanks!

Man don’t hold me to this but I think it’s also a mechanical waste gate from flying one eons ago. Half of the throttle is throttle the rest is wastegate closure like many of that era, so it’s the ol’ be careful not to over post thing.

Nothing new if you’ve done it before. Just mentioning it.

Hell, could be way off on this too. It’s been many years.

So then I stumbled into a blurb about the T182
Then went into the TCDS and they have this thing pared with the 182R, no serial number distinction.
FYI: The T182 is a production 182R with the factory option turbocharged engine installed. Hence the reason they are considered under the same variant. A quick check and there were over 1000 182Rs produced. So it's not that much of a unicorn, unless you have a thing for unicorns.;)
I'd ask about the legality and/or the economics of bolting the engine into an 182R but I already suspect the answer, so I won't belabor that point.
Since it's a OEM option (dwg# in TCDS), i.e., part of the aircraft specification, if Cessna will sell you that drawing/data package it could possibly be a simple plug and play swap to install the TIO-540 into a stock 182R.

Turbo 182R, no retracts - they made them right there at the end. You see them for sale every once and a while, but very rarely. I always thought it would be one bad-a 182... no idea on maintenance issues and what-not.

PS - I've noticed they get mis-classified all the time on the various for-sale websites, so you kind of have to keep an eye on "general" 182s, turbo 182s, and 182Rs... It's a pain. As you can see, I kind of wanted to buy one at one point.

may be better to go with one of the Texas Skyways conversions- IO520 or IO550(i know, you're a Lyco fan). Unless you're here in the west with mountains and do a lot of high DA flying the turbo may not be worth the headache. I fly a T182T for work, it's great, but wouldn't own one at this point(may change if we move). Turbo failed and took the engine with it. Thankfully the company decided to get a new engine.

Maybe someone with that IO550 conversion can chime in. Seems like a beast on a 182, albeit with some cooling issues?

Interesting, I didn't know they were considered a 182R, though looking at the way they list them in the TCDS, it now makes sense. The question would be what would be the economics of slapping an O-540-L and turbonormalizing kit into the thing. If that involves asking Textron for the rights to the drawing # and probably a normalizing kit to go with it, considering their trend with the V-tail fiasco, #oof. I suppose 100% of not getting what you don't ask for. Real shame that not more were rolled off the factory fitted as such. I think it's a nice blend of performance.

I'll keep looking out for one. I like turbonormalized setups, as they are able to retain the high compression pistons of their NA counter. I might hit up Textron and ask the question; I'll PIREP back if I get anywhere on that front.

RE: TIO-540. These pre-restarts 182s are not TIOs. I'm aware those -AK1A Lycos are a hot mess. The TR182/T182 are a regular O-540-Lxxx (R182 setup) with a normalizing kit bolted to it. I like that normalized combo, the 540-L/J is so de-rated it's a pretty loafed engine as installed. 40AMUs across 4 gear parts alone before labor (2x pivots, 2x mlg actuator bodies) makes it worth at least exploring the question on the FG side. Depending on what we end up doing post-mil wrt west coast move, it might end up becoming an accidental forever airplane. That favors the FG option for me.

These pre-restarts 182s are not TIOs.
Mention turbo I assume it starts with a "T". Nothing more. The only reason there werent more T182s made was nobody ordered the option. Be interesting if Textron offers the T182 as field upgrade as that would be the only economical route to follow.

Mention turbo I assume it starts with a "T". Nothing more. The only reason there werent more T182s made was nobody ordered the option. Be interesting if Textron offers the T182 as field upgrade as that would be the only economical route to follow.

I own a fixed gear 182 Turbo. Would not trade it for anything. Max gross take-off at 9,000 msl is amazing. Last year over the Sierras at 17,000 msl, was climbing at just under 800 ft/min. On flight following, ATC called to verify I was a Cessna. Nice cruising 160+ knots up high in a fixed gear 182.

cropped-IMG_4936-1.jpg

The only STC's for adding a turbo to a 182 were bought by big engine STC companies who then buried the mods. Air Plains bought CS Industries TSIO470 STC and Texas Skyways bought the Rajay STC and both companies spiked them and will not sell.

Last edited:
Back