T-Port vs Tie Down

davidm767

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Davidm767
Howdy Folks,

I have an oppurtunity to jump into a T-Port (think Car port...roof no sides) at the North Perry Airport (South Fort Lauderdale area). I have to respond quickly however (next in line). Would a T-Port be worth it for my Grumman Tiger? Its $250/mo (yes aviation is even more expensive in the city) versus the $60/mo in tiedown fees. I have canopy/wing/tail covers.

Is it worth it? I dont have money burning holes in my pocket, I'm a younger pilot inbetween gigs, and will likely seek out partners to help with expenses.

Thanks,

Dave M

Is it worth it? I dont have money burning holes in my pocket, I'm a younger pilot inbetween gigs, and will likely seek out partners to help with expenses.

I think you answered your own question. I'd make sure I had good strong tie downs and anchors in the ground, and stay with the tie down. The difference is a lot of flying fuel and not a strain on the wallet.

Get much hail? If you are already protecting the plane from the sun with your covers that is about the only thing a port will protect from. You could consider calling your insurance company as well, my rates are lower because I am hangared.

Judging by the condition of used boats/cars from FL i'd take the port for the sun protection.

Protection from the sun, yes! But the birds love nesting in some of them, especially those constructed with Z or C purlins. I'd definitely ask a current renter if birds are an issue before I said yes. Of course, that's only about three months of hassle...during the nesting season...at least that's how long the bird hassle lasts here.

Come on up to MO. You can get a nice t-hangar with a concrete floor, power door, lights and that's only a few years old for...

...$125/mo.

We call those things 'hail sheds' hereabouts.

Considering that the only thing that blocks the interior/paint/radio destroying Florida sun is either a thunderstorm or a hurricane, either one of which can destroy an airplane in seconds with a burst of hail, you'd be crazy not to take that space if you can possibly afford it.

Definitely take the T-Port. Your family will thank you for that. There is nothing more painful than loading/unloading a hot plane in the sun. Even with the covers internal temperatures will raise to over 150F in the sun. This will bake your interiors, paint, fuel tank sealant and avionics.

José

Protection from the sun, yes! But the birds love nesting in some of them, especially those constructed with Z or C purlins. I'd definitely ask a current renter if birds are an issue before I said yes. Of course, that's only about three months of hassle...during the nesting season...at least that's how long the bird hassle lasts here.

Come on up to MO. You can get a nice t-hangar with a concrete floor, power door, lights and that's only a few years old for...

...$125/mo.

Boy, do I miss that. And we used to COMPLAIN about $125!

I'm paying over 4 times that now, on the island. And darned glad to have it. All because the government makes it almost impossible to build hangars. :mad2:

I know insurance is cheaper for a hangared plane, do they give a break for a t-port?

I have never kept a plane outside, and in my mind it opens a lot of areas for concern. Water in the fuel tank, heavy snow loads that sometimes cause the tail to go down, sun damage to interior plastic, and perhaps hail, and even other objects not so well secured crashing into it during high winds.

On the other hand, at $250 for merely a shade seems a bit much. Like Tim Winters, I'm a Missouri pilot, and one of my planes is in a beautiful, high ceiling hangar that is 40 feet wide and 35 feet deep, concrete floor, bifold doors, electricity, etc., for $135 a month.

The one for the Ercoupe (part of a 4 person partnership) is an enclosed hangar with bifold doors, not quite a big, but only $100 a month.

Shade ports are $65 and tie down is $30 a month.

You'll probably need the covers in the T-port as well. The protection provided is mostly from above, and the sun/UV damage comes from three directions (E. S. W.). If your port is in the middle of a row with roof running generally E/W and with a north facing exposure, you'll have a better shot at being shaded most of the year.

Get much hail? If you are already protecting the plane from the sun with your covers that is about the only thing a port will protect from. You could consider calling your insurance company as well, my rates are lower because I am hangared.

Didn't work at KAPA. Wind blown hail destroyed the spinners on one side of the row.

Better than golf ball dimpled wings, but it isn't perfect. ;)

I sure like the MO prices. I am paying 250 a month for hangar space in central Florida.

I would go with the T port. I hanger in a group hanger when in fla cost is very reasonable.When up north I use covers for all surfaces but wings.due to price outside tie down is 284 squatter hanger would be over 400 a month.my only fear is hail so in Fla the hanger works for me.

Id consider just keeping it outside. Lots of airplanes are kept outside in FL year round and do fine. If a hurricane comes, fly it away. The hurricane could just as easily take the T-port down as well.

Use the money for fuel and other stuff. Spend time keeping up with it...wash/wax it a lot, etc. If you're younger, in between work and thinking about partners soon...save the money, you don't want it to start feeling like a burden or it will take the fun out of it.

----

On another note, those hangar prices are insane. You can't touch one for less than 500/600 around Ft Laud / Palm Beach.

Last edited:
$500/mo in Austin,TX with over a year waiting list....

Back