T minus 22 hours 45 minutes

Also, be sure to keep us updated on your progress! I love reading about each person's experience.

Also, be sure to keep us updated on your progress! I love reading about each person's experience.

Keep in mind though, until Ron or Steve come up with an FAR that proves otherwise, you can only log your own time, not another online airman whom you're living vicariously through. :D [/tease]

Keep in mind though, until Ron or Steve come up with an FAR that proves otherwise, you can only log your own time, not another online airman whom you're living vicariously through. :D [/tease]

Meh--they can't check anyway. I'm not gonna go back and mark out half my hours!!!

The overwhelmed feeling is what I remember about my first flying lesson. It was windy and I was all over the place. The radio calls and turbulence plus flying the plane were just too much to put together.

For me it seemed at about the 10 hour mark things really started to come together, and I solo'd shortly after. Stick with it for 10 hours of regular lessons and I bet you will begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel VS the 'holy crap, I have no idea what i'm doing' feeling.

Sooooooooooo, when do the lessons start?

David

lol, not sure yet, I'm still kinda getting over the shock from yesterday. I did, however, email the guy this morning and told him I'm ready to get back in the plane!

Use the relation of the airplane's nose to the horizon to keep the airplane from climbing and descending, verify that you are remaining level periodically by checking the altimeter and VSI.

The overwhelmed feeling is what I remember about my first flying lesson. It was windy and I was all over the place. The radio calls and turbulence plus flying the plane were just too much to put together.

For me it seemed at about the 10 hour mark things really started to come together, and I solo'd shortly after. Stick with it for 10 hours of regular lessons and I bet you will begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel VS the 'holy crap, I have no idea what i'm doing' feeling.

this pretty much sums it up for me. I was overwhelmed and had the same 'holy crap' feeling, and still have it. I'm not sure about you, dell, but I had hoped all the studying I did before the flight would have made it a little easier for me, but it didn't. well, I take that back, I sort of knew which instruments to look for, so I guess that was one less thing to be confused over.

lol, not sure yet, I'm still kinda getting over the shock from yesterday. I did, however, email the guy this morning and told him I'm ready to get back in the plane!

Cool! I think you will definitely be happy to go back. Just do me a favor and take a bit of advice. Once you get your Private, don't' ever quit flying for more than a couple of months. You will regret it. I had to several times due to financial issues and regret it. But I had no choice.

Anyways, glad to hear you had a great time! You will get faster to kepe up wit hthe airplane and do every thing you need to do. No worries!

David

this pretty much sums it up for me. I was overwhelmed and had the same 'holy crap' feeling, and still have it. I'm not sure about you, dell, but I had hoped all the studying I did before the flight would have made it a little easier for me, but it didn't. well, I take that back, I sort of knew which instruments to look for, so I guess that was one less thing to be confused over.

I had done a lot of studying too, I flew R/C planes and did flight simulator as well.

I knew a lot of the stuff they would teach in ground school as I read through a private pilot training manual very thoroughly.

My very first lesson was taxi practice only as it was a very windy/bumpy February day. I logged .3 hours and got it down pretty well. The next lesson, I was surprised that my instructor let me take off, and I remember very clearly making a decent take off, then it felt like all hell was breaking loose as I got into some turbulence.

Just FYI - you'll probably experience a some turbulence each flight because you will likely stay down around 3000 AGL or so practicing and flying to local airports. If you climb up higher (on a normal day absent any significant weather features) the turbulence goes away. It is usually possible to find a turbulence free altitude to cruise at during each flight.

Also I find 8A6 is an enjoyable airport to fly in and out of. You'll find its a completely different experience than JQF. I learned at a huge runway similar to JQF and fortunately my instructor took me to some shorter/smaller fields.

Last edited:
I had done a lot of studying too, I flew R/C planes and did flight simulator as well.

I knew a lot of the stuff they would teach in ground school as I read through a private pilot training manual very thoroughly.

My very first lesson was taxi practice only as it was a very windy/bumpy February day. I logged .3 hours and got it down pretty well. The next lesson, I was surprised that my instructor let me take off, and I remember very clearly making a decent take off, then it felt like all hell was breaking loose as I got into some turbulence.

Just FYI - you'll probably experience a some turbulence each flight because you will likely stay down around 3000 AGL or so practicing and flying to local airports. If you climb up higher (on a normal day absent any significant weather features) the turbulence goes away. It is usually possible to find a turbulence free altitude to cruise at during each flight.

Also I find 8A6 is an enjoyable airport to fly in and out of. You'll find its a completely different experience than JQF. I learned at a huge runway similar to JQF and fortunately my instructor took me to some shorter/smaller fields.
When I flew down there out of EQY, my instructor would take me down to JAARS (N52). AirNav says it's 40' wide, but I swear when I was down there it was 37'. Either way, it felt like 20'.

My favorite place to go to just do T&Gs was Lancaster County (LKR), with the approach to rwy 6 going right over the Catawba River. Very scenic, and very quiet.

..... I did, however, email the guy this morning and told him I'm ready to get back in the plane!

Ha....

You are HOOKED... Resistance is futile.... It is a lifelong addiction.....

Plan your training flights for early morning when the air is smooth (er)..

And keep at it.. Flying is like racing,, the more seat time you have, the better you get...

Flying is about finesse and light inputs on the controls. It's not uncommon for new pilots (including me when I started.) to over control by using big muscles in the shoulders and bicep. These are "power" muscles that make big movements. Especially if you have a very tight grip on the yoke.

And some very seasoned pilots at times. I recently re-introduced a twenty year airline captain to a Cherokee 140. He was ham-fisting it for the first couple of landings until I suggested he try flying with a couple of fingers. He did and things smoothed out dramatically!

Back