T-Hangar/Ramp Etiquette

After 10 minutes, I'd have shut down, gotten out, walked over and tapped on his window...I'd have exploded well before 45 minutes elapsed.

He started "his" run-up I suppose while I was fueling. Then I went to the restroom and bought a coke. Came out and sumped my tanks and hopped in doing the usual pre-flight checklist (I'm still on the ramp near the pumps - but he's been blocking the only ramp exit to the runway for about 20-25 minutes at that point). I figured he has GOT to be ready by now, and I engine start and move closer, but not behind (I'm 90* to him). He doesn't respond by radio or landing light (it's aimed right at him). After several minutes my plugs foul as I was ready to go, and I have to burn that off. I look up, and he is gone. I pull up to the hold short line and announce departure after checking both finals and downwind. I then hear, "Didn't you hear my radio call?" and I ask if that is for Llano (122.8) and he says yes, but no further info. I'm looking again for anything on either final but winds are 20 knots and I'm on the wind favored end. Long story short, Mr 45 minute run-up is at the other end of the runway preparing for a 20 knot tailwind departure (runway is sloped and we can't see each other). I depart and am in the air 30 minutes when my TCAS shows a target closing my altitude 6:00. At one mile separation, I turn left for 30 seconds and then back on course and look out the co-pilot side to see Mr 45 head down in the cockpit.

This isn't the end of the story: Last week I land Llano again for fuel on an Austin trip, and Mr 45 is there again being chastised by an RV while I'm refueling (RV guy got the same treatment). Lineman tells me the guy is out of Houston and not a local. This time I "visit" inside and use the facilities until he leaves.

Never had this particular problem. Always have had exits on both ends. But I have been blasted several times by pilots using lots of power to turn 90 degrees to the hangar. One one a flight instructor. I finally talked to her about watch (and teaching) where your prop blast is going.

like the people that stop traffic to waive you through, and if you don't go when they waive (because it's unsafe), they get peeved. I've never understood that.

Don't make me fork this thread to Drivers of America, because I would love to pile on. When it's your turn, take your right of way!

Do you pull your car out in the street before you tell the passengers to get in? Why not get the kids and other passengers buckled in before pulling the plane out of the hangar?

Didja try leaning for taxi?

And yes. That is what I took away from your post. LOL

I lean for taxi to the max. If you look at the Llano runway diagram, it's about 50 feet from the pumps to the area that Mr 45 was blocking. I didn't anticipate him sitting there that long. Ran into him again last week returning from Austin, so I chose to chat in the FBO and laugh as the RV guy behind him went through the EXACT same thing. This bozo is based in Houston.

Back