T-38 down

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Cooter, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Cooter

Cooter Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cooter
  2. hindsight2020

hindsight2020 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    hindsight2020
    Yeah I'm still here. It's been a long day. It was already a long day dealing with some personal matters with my parents and that whole disaster we call the CONUS apathy towards Puerto Rico. Then this thing happens on the last go of the day. Tough tough couple of days for the immediately affected families. Our hearts absolutely go out to them. Our main focus right now is to provide emotional support and rally as a flying community.

Not at liberty to comment on the specifics of what transpired and what we know so far, but for my part, I am constantly humbled and reminded of the nature of this business we're in. Control is somewhat illusory in life it seems. But you can't coward in a corner. So we sack up, kiss our loved ones, and hack it to the best of our abilities. As aviators we analyze, thank our lucky stars, and hopefully apply lessons going forward.

Trust me when I say I am as interested as everybody else here on the safety aspects of this incident; after all I place my life on this equipment every day. Equipment you all have paid for and entrusted us to employ effectively. I just hope it ends up being something other than what I privately dread, because no amount of political correctness is gonna keep me from saying my peace if this thing points that way. We all have lines in the sand, and I know mine. But this is not the time, so I digress.

Being alive today to hug my family, raise the nose and break ground, and chase after life with a sense of purpose; I'm thankful for that opportunity. A brother in arms will not get to do that today. A Nickel on the grass....
    touch-the-sun.jpg

3. Velocity173

Velocity173 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Velocity173
    Sorry to hear about your loss out there.

4. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Seen a few of those when I was at ATC bases. Always sobering and so sad.

RIP

5. CC268

CC268 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    CC268
    Wow...my PPL instructor just soloed in the T-38 a few weeks ago. He said he might of been flying from Texas to Mesa, AZ this past Friday...wonder if this is a related incident.

6. simtech

simtech Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Simtech
    Sad to hear about this :(. A few years ago we had a 38 crash that killed both here on base. It was sobering to say the least and really sad how it happened. They grounded the fleet for a few days but came down to an aileron torque tube bolt that broke on take off. Was not cool at all. I haven't been to work yet today so don't know if they grounded the fleet again.

7. GlennAB1

GlennAB1 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    GlennAB1
    That's terrible :(

I'll never forget hearing about the Brit. Test Pilot that was in my brother's class that was killed on his first test flight out of TPS...

8. kayoh190

kayoh190 Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    Woke up this morning to a bunch of nickel in the grass posts by friends on FB, and read about this here on PoA. Ugh.

RIP

Keep yourself safe out there, @hindsight2020

9. 35 AoA

35 AoA Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    35 AoA
    Yeah I remember that one, though I might be confusing it with another incident where the ailerons had been reverse rigged......ie left stick gave right roll.....they were too low and fast to figure it out before impact occurred.

10. simtech

simtech Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Simtech
    "The accident investigation board determined the cause of this mishap to be mechanical failure of the right aileron, which failed in the full down position before takeoff"

http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Disp...als-release-report-on-columbus-t-38-accident/

I remember there being talk of a bolt that broke which caused the failure but could be wrong. It was sad because they ejected while inverted.. ugh! It happened so fast not sure they could have done anything at that point.

11. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    Been assigned to ATC pilot training bases 3 times, and the worse I experienced was a T38 in the late 60s where both student and IP were decapitated. I was standing at the rear of the hospital when the "meat wagon" rolled in with the two pilots. Three body bags came out, confusing me. Hospital sergeant told me it was the two bodies each in a bag, and their heads in the third bag. Very gruesome and I was screwed up the rest of the day thinking about those poor souls and their families. Been to accident scenes a few times and it ain't fun.

12. EvilEagle

EvilEagle Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    EvilEagle
    Him him. Sorry to hear of another brother lost. .05

13. Davecat

Davecat Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Davecat
    Tragic. My condolences.

I drive by Laughlin often on Hwy 90 and frequently pull over in an area the public uses for viewing the ballet in the sky just before the main gate. When the young men are training the skies are buzzing. My place in WTX gets buzzed all the time by B1-B's at low level. Last visit a few weeks ago, two B-52's came over! The whole area north of Big Bend and south of Alpine is an MOA, specifically IR178 which my place is directly under.

I silently thank all the young men and women serving every time they fly over!

mscard88 likes this.