T-38 crash at CAFB

Ow. As you said, Steve, :(.

I am pleased that the AF waits 24 hours after the notification of the family before releasing their names, however.

I was surprised that they still appear to use T-6 Texans in active training!

And I was disappointed that the station couldn't spell "cockpit." Maybe they were worried that web filters would grab onto a sub-word?

well, the t-6 texan IIs are not the wwii version...

http://www.t6driver.com/

t6_Texan2.jpg

Last edited:
God bless those two pilots.

There isn't a more beautiful aircraft flying, IMHO (except for whatever aircraft I happen to be flying at the time :yes: ). Unfortunately, its small cockpit also kept me out of the USAF (1/4" too tall sitting height according to the husky female airman at Offutt AFB Hospital, circa 1982).

This summer at AirVenture I was speaking to one of the USAF's T-38 pilots, and we were discussing the fast approach speed (155kts I believe.) He said their minimum runway distance for landing is 8,000, if I recall, but said that they prefer 12,000 ft runways. Of course, I couldn't help but say "Sure, don't we all!" I'm sure he thought I was an idiot, but it was a shining moment nonetheless. :)

Last edited:
I love the T-38. Actually like the F-5 a little better, but they are essentially similar.

The T-38 needs as little as 2,300 feet of runway to take off

Is this true? That sounds pretty short to me, but then again I drive a Grumman and like to have at least that much, although I have done shorter at sea level.

Last edited:
Is this true? That sounds pretty short to me, but then again I drive a Grumman and like to have at least that much, although I have done shorter at sea level.

Taking off is one thing, with all that power... landing, with that high-loaded wing and slippery airframe, is another. It must be challenging to do it right, even with a long runway.

Very sorry to hear about these guys, especially as it seems they were nearly out of the woods, as far as the landing went, when it happened. :confused:

Yes, it's always a sad thing to lose a fellow pilot. What bothers me about this accident in particular is I may have met these guys or gals working a static display at a recent airshow/fly-in. :(

Taking off is one thing, with all that power... landing, with that high-loaded wing and slippery airframe, is another. It must be challenging to do it right, even with a long runway.

Very sorry to hear about these guys, especially as it seems they were nearly out of the woods, as far as the landing went, when it happened. :confused:

:confused:

No Flap landings were VERY sporty!! The back seater could only see the runway edge cause of the high nose angle. It's not a very forgiving airplane but it is a blast to fly.

Sad to hear about the student and IP. My thoughts go out to their families. Never saw anything about it in the ATL news though.

Back