Sysadmin Appreciation Day

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Not that anyone ever remembers it. LOL. No one at work did, as usual.

Here, you can watch the musical. It’s headed for Broadway, probably. Hot stuff. Haha.

Here’s today’s fun. We have six companies in the building. All of the company names start with “i3”. It’s a branding thing. Don’t ask.

Anyway...

The tech support report from a user of the day?

“My i3 isn’t opening.”

Right. That’ll nail it right down, thanks for that detailed report. :)

i3WHAT for GOD’S SAKES?! Could you just cut and paste the link to the thing you think is broken that 100 other people are using just fine?!

Smile and nod. Smile and nod.

I like this better. "Sysadmin" day is sort of like HOA day. And I used to be a sysadmin, and on the board of a Home Owner Association.
mail

National Scotch day is Friday, July 27 2018. (Today)

Would this be the same day as the system admins at a place where I worked sent out an email - alerting us that email was down. Yes, we got the email 3-4 hours later, when the system was back up.

What’s to appreciate. The stuff barely works.

Sysadmins don’t write the **** code and don’t grandiosely call themselves software “engineers” while cranking out repetitively broken code that has the same bugs in it decade after decade.

We just use duct tape and bailing wire to barely keep it running.

Take away the sysadmins and most of it would just crash and burn, and maybe rightly so. Sure would thin the coder herd if any of them had to get up at 2AM to make a system they wrote operational again.

I'd have sent the sysadmin a box of donuts and cold Mountain Dew, but one of 'em would've eaten half a donut and others would complain for not getting pepsi . . . . .

Today I got paid to teach someone who’s used Windows professionally for over a decade how the Recycle Bin works.

Not kidding. The Recycle Bin.

Today I got paid to teach someone who’s used Windows professionally for over a decade how the Recycle Bin works.

Not kidding. The Recycle Bin.
Let me guess: he used it to store files that he wanted to keep. (Yes, I know someone who did that... At least he did until.... )

Let me guess: he used it to store files that he wanted to keep. (Yes, I know someone who did that... At least he did until.... )

No, actually they didn’t know it existed and someone mentioned to them that they could get some disk space back if they cleaned it out.

The person was genuinely worried this new advice was perhaps wrong, and sought out the first IT person they saw to confirm it.

I guess the good news is, it shows they trust us more than their co-workers and are willing to ask things like that in the break room while I’m getting coffee.

No half eaten donuts were to be seen in said break room however, and I would have gladly eaten leftover half-donut or anything at that point yesterday.

This is not the IT people I work with, they are great, but it totally captures almost every corporate or government phone tree I've encountered. I hate phone trees to the very depth of my soul and usually end up cussing heartily by the time I finally get to a human IF I ever do, and when it says "this call may be recorded for quality assurance" I am shouting "I hope it is!"

Then I have to put a lid on it when the human comes on line.

I spent most of yesterday morning wiring up this guy.

On the one hand, having a little bit more appreciation for IT guys now. On the other hand, the guy who ran the cables originally wanted to charge me $1000 to wire up this patch panel.

F that. Felt manly to do it myself. Or at least like Nate.

upload_2018-8-6_9-39-39.png

I spent most of yesterday morning wiring up this guy.

On the one hand, having a little bit more appreciation for IT guys now. On the other hand, the guy who ran the cables originally wanted to charge me $1000 to wire up this patch panel.

F that. Felt manly to do it myself. Or at least like Nate.

View attachment 65957

Looks like you’re ready for the next lesson, wire-wrap style patch panels.

We’ll learn ya up on what a “shiner” is and we’ll start you off with a manual wrap tool and graduate you up to the electric one later. :)

Sysadmins don’t write the **** code and don’t grandiosely call themselves software “engineers” while cranking out repetitively broken code that has the same bugs in it decade after decade.

We just use duct tape and bailing wire to barely keep it running.

Take away the sysadmins and most of it would just crash and burn, and maybe rightly so. Sure would thin the coder herd if any of them had to get up at 2AM to make a system they wrote operational again.
Dev ops.

It’s glorious.

Dev ops.

It’s glorious.
All the latest bugs. Hundreds of times a day!

On the other hand, since the customer changes the requirements hundres of times a day, there you go.

I went through that back in 2001(2002?). I think it's a LOT harder now. :)
I have the next 3 semesters of Cisco in Community College so we shall see. Having just had my final exam in a very disorganized and nearly worthless Network+ class yesterday and attaining a C for the course, I feel like I cannot get either Cert as of today. After looking through the CCENT book though, Network+ may be easier to get right now. Not sure though. I have not seen a piece of Cisco gear in person yet. August 28th I will.

This class was really bad and they taught Microsoft Server 2012/R2 concurrently over 11 weeks. Most of the class failed the midterm exam and I got a 68% on the final. I am glad I passed the class at least, but it was a lot of tiem spent doing unrelated homework and "labs."

David

I have the next 3 semesters of Cisco in Community College so we shall see. Having just had my final exam in a very disorganized and nearly worthless Network+ class yesterday and attaining a C for the course, I feel like I cannot get either Cert as of today. After looking through the CCENT book though, Network+ may be easier to get right now. Not sure though. I have not seen a piece of Cisco gear in person yet. August 28th I will.

Back in the day I was flying a Cheyenne II for a network infrastructure company, and my boss began to hint that the 'flight department' might be in some trouble down the road due to some tightening of their finances. He knew I was a tech dork, so one day he handed me a CCNA study guide and told me to read up and take the test (was $100 back then IIRC), and he'd make sure I'd have a place to go if they indeed had to park the planes. So I did. They eventually parked the airplanes, but I was fortunate enough to find another flying gig right away. To my boss' credit, he kept his word and offered me another job in the company if I chose to stay.

Back then the test was pretty much just rote knowledge. Read through the study guide, run through a bunch of practice questions, and eventually you were good to go. I was dorky enough to pick up a couple of used 2501s, but I don't think even that was necessary back then. These days I hear it's a lot more involved, and the test requires actual ability to apply the knowledge - something I never really had. Good luck! :)

I don’t really understand the point of a Cisco certification these days. They aren’t the giant they used to be and few companies are exclusively Cisco shops like there was ten years ago.

A guy would be a hell of a lot better off learning the **** out of the networking side of Amazon AWS, including everything relating to VPCs inside and out. Probably get yourself a job paying twice what any entry level networking thing is that’ll want a Cisco cert.

There’s so many paths in his biz. I know some folks who’ve done really well being dyed in the wool Cisco cultists, but most went straight to CCIE and specialized in things like Cisco telephony or security/firewalls.

AWS is also very hot right now, as are the other virtualization/“cloud” platforms.

The really critical part is learning how it all fits together. I’ve worked with a lot of people over the years who knew their little piece of IT, and knew it so well they were brilliant at it, but were stumped when their laptop couldn’t resolve DNS.

That always made me nervous when I later realized they wrote the network stack for a product. :)

At the beginning stages I can’t see a Cisco cert hurting anyone other than if they still teach their weird version of the network layer model, it’ll mess the person up if they speak it to someone who learned the OSI model. :)

And learning a layered model does help with troubleshooting. It’s very difficult to communicate with a tech who’s troubleshooting when they don’t know what you mean by “Have you completely checked Layer 1?”

Or worse, when you say, “There’s no link light on the Ethernet...” and they say, “Think we should reinstall the browser?” “No, that’s Layer 7 and Layer 1 is broken...” And you get a blank stare. ;)

Or “I’m getting a destination host unreachable message”, and “Okay so we know we are dealing with Layer 3 and down...”, another blank stare...

None of the layered models is perfect, but they’ll save a whole bunch of time troubleshooting and talking about the problem if everybody knows them.

Another very good one these days in some shops is knowing Windows Server inside and out, but especially if you can apply it to security. Knowing how to make a Windows network behave and control all the desktop/laptop systems from the day they walk in the door and get the company’s image or automated rebuild put on them, through automated patching and maintenance, until they’re wiped clean and headed for the electronic recycling place, and knowing that entire lifecycle is big, if you like end users and not server side stuff.

Security has always paid pretty well, but people who can build and maintain an automated security policy and audit it in an automated way aren’t ever going to be wanting for work. Both user side and sever side.

It’s hard to say what all the trends will be at any one time. Definitely virtualized / “cloud” is the high traffic area right now. AWS being the heavy hitter in that space.

Oh yeah, @gkainz would be grumpy if I didn’t mention DBA work. Actually out of all of them, DBA pays the best to newbies, because the problems and their scale are already usually really big in most companies you’d start at. Few junior DBAs will be building a database architecture from scratch unless they’re the only DBA at a startup, and that’s somewhat dangerous for the company.

So junior DBAs often step right into big problems and do a lot of mentorship from their senior DBAs. If you like the sorts of problems DBAs work on, its a solid choice for a specialty pretty much always, too. But lots of people don’t like working in SQL all day at that level, so that one depends on the person.

I hate to admit it, but at this late stage in the game (crap, I've been doing Oracle since 1984 ... started with Oracle version 4) I don't do a lot of complex SQL ... at least unless and until I really have to get down in the weeds to solve a problem. Usually those are based on "my code doesn't run fast any more" complaints and honestly, most of those turn out to be "last time it ran fast was on DEV - it's never performed well in PROD" and a quick glance usually discovers inefficient SQL, inadvertent statements to tell the optimizer to ignore an index, or just plain old bad SQL...

java guys usually make me grumpy ... "your database sucks because my code doesn't run fast on PROD and it ran really fast on my laptop DEV copy", whereas we first discover that their DEV database contains a subset of maybe MAYBE 1% of the PROD database. Then we look at the SQL ...

Them: select 1 from table of interest;
Me: why?
Them: To make sure the table is there!
then
Them: select count(*) from the table of interest;
Them: To make sure there is data!
then
Them: select * from table of interest;
Them: Because I can return all the rows locally and sort it here, then present the data of interest to the user.

Me:
You do realize that you only want 100 rows out of 200 million from that table?
And you only want a small date slice, right?
And I have it indexed and partitioned by date?
And you just made 3 unnecessary calls to the database?
And you just clobbered the network with a couple of gigs of data when you only needed a few meg?

Them: Yeah, so? If you would convince management to by faster servers, this wouldn't be a problem!

Last edited:
I hate to admit it, but at this late stage in the game (crap, I've been doing Oracle since 1984 ... started with Oracle version 4) I don't do a lot of complex SQL ... at least unless and until I really have to get down in the weeds to solve a problem. Usually those are based on "my code doesn't run fast any more" complaints and honestly, most of those turn out to be "last time it ran fast was on DEV - it's never performed well in PROD" and a quick glance usually discovers inefficient SQL, inadvertent statements to tell the optimizer to ignore an index, or just plain old bad SQL...

java guys usually make me grumpy ... "your database sucks because my code doesn't run fast on PROD and it ran really fast on my laptop DEV copy", whereas we first discover that their DEV database contains a subset of maybe MAYBE 1% of the PROD database. Then we look at the SQL ...

Them: select 1 from table of interest;
Them: To make sure the table is there!
then
Them: select count(*) from the table of interest;
Them: To make sure there is data!
then
Them: select * from table of interest;
Them: Because I can return all the rows locally and sort it here, then present the data of interest to the user.

Me:
You do realize that you only want 100 rows out of 200 million from that table?
And you only want a small date slice, right?
And I have it indexed and partitioned by date?
And you just made 3 unnecessary calls to the database?
And you just clobbered the network with a couple of gigs of data when you only needed a few meg?

Them: Yeah, so? If you would convince management to by faster servers, this wouldn't be a problem!

LOL LOL LOL

I’m only partially kidding when I say we moved to AWS due to over ten years of terribly designed and written MySQL queries in the really old product.

Throwing more CPU at something in AWS is a mouse click away and we can quantify it too.

“You can either fix this new code or it will run just fine for $XXX more per month. Yep, it’s that bad.”

The rest of ‘em use PostgreSQL. With good data design.

You just described pretty much every Java programmer and app I have ever met. I have always thought that the most visible "benefit" of Java is that it allows lousy programmers write horrible code much faster... and most seem to take full advantage of that fact.

I don’t really understand the point of a Cisco certification these days. They aren’t the giant they used to be and few companies are exclusively Cisco shops like there was ten years ago.

A guy would be a hell of a lot better off learning the **** out of the networking side of Amazon AWS, including everything relating to VPCs inside and out. Probably get yourself a job paying twice what any entry level networking thing is that’ll want a Cisco cert.
Reminds me of about 1995-96. Novell owned 70-80% of the network market. I became a CNE (Certified Novell Engineer). Within 5 years Novell was probably down to about 10-20%. The certification still opened doors though and if a person keeps pursuing more information they will be marketable.

Today I beat my head against a problem that came up after our phone system upgrade.

Calls from extension to extension that ALSO simultaneously rang someone’s cell phone, came out with “1+four digit number” as their caller ID.

Finally I realized what the four digit number was. Four digit DNIS inbound call routes on an old ISDN circuit. But, that didn’t make sense. There was no inbound call. So how did the system end up using that?

30 years of backward compatibility with old Avaya systems. That’s how!

The very FIRST inbound call route assigned to any extension is used as Caller ID for any call the system has to “guess” what to use. Extension to extension calls have no full phone number to use that was dialed inbound (since you can have more than one inbound phone number to any extension) so it takes the first one ever entered for the extension.

Why did it start failing after an upgrade?

Because during a major release upgrade, the system completely reloads the inbound call route table from a backup. And it does it in numerical order.

So if the main number desired as CID from that extension is higher numerically than any other outside number routed to that desk... that lower number becomes the CID.

Delete the call routes from each desk that has multiples until you’re down to one that you want to be the CID, save, then re-add all the other old phone numbers to those desks and conference rooms, save. Fixed.

THAT was a huge pain in the ass to figure out.

Back