Syrup

Not sure how I missed this thread for so long... Also didn't know, til I moved here, that Ohio ranks toward the top in maple syrup production in the US. We get 5 or 6 gallon a year from trees on a local boys club property. Spoils us for anything else. That, and the honey from hives on our place pretty much constitutes our total sugar consumption.
Jim
I've lived here longer than I lived in New England and never heard that nor seen taps in trees. Are you doing Sugar Maples or the ubiquitous Silvers? I have a red out back, but it's only big enough for 1 tap per year. But now I'm itching to try it after youtubing a few vids.

I used to love Aunt Jemima but after I took my first trip to upstate New York 15 years ago and brought back a jug of real maple syrup, Jemima has been kicked to the curb.

Which is as it should be. Aunt Jemima syrup is just nasty, when compared to the real deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've lived here longer than I lived in New England and never heard that nor seen taps in trees. Are you doing Sugar Maples or the ubiquitous Silvers? I have a red out back, but it's only big enough for 1 tap per year. But now I'm itching to try it after youtubing a few vids.

We're not doing the work, Greg. Just reaping the benefits. The folks supporting the boys club have bunches of sugar maples on the property, and use the syrup to off-set the cost of maintaining the club. It's all volunteer work, and a huge win-win all the way around. In our area of Ohio, there are taps everywhere in the Spring. It's a big money-maker for the Amish, also.

Jim

Sooooooo many choices of corn syrup but not so many choices of the better stuff. Was in the store the other day and thought of this thread. Not sure which real syrup brand to try. Still kinda pricey to me.

2017-06-09 15.44.24.jpg 2017-06-09 15.44.26.jpg

Maple syrup from Ohio? That's like buying your salsa from New York City! (Remember those Pace commercials?)

Real US maple syrup comes from Vermont and New York State. The other states producing it don't have the same strict standards and requirements that NY and VT do. Then again, this is 2017, your state is number one in everything, whatever you have is better than everyone else's, and everyone gets a trophy at the end.

Maple syrup from Ohio? That's like buying your salsa from New York City! (Remember those Pace commercials?)

Real US maple syrup comes from Vermont and New York State. The other states producing it don't have the same strict standards and requirements that NY and VT do. Then again, this is 2017, your state is number one in everything, whatever you have is better than everyone else's, and everyone gets a trophy at the end.

"Looks like we're gonna haf to shut you down."

And we'll outlaw anything coming from elsewhere that folks might think is better (http://realfarmacy.com/kerrygold-butter-illegal/). :)

Having lived in Vermont, almost every small producer sells direct. Therefore, the only issue is finding somebody who ships. The next question is what grade do you prefer.

Necropost or not I find the contents of those shelves offensive to one's sensibility. Most are nothing more than high fructose corn syrup with a tad of imitation flavor added. I'm a child of the forties, and was raised to believe only the real thing counted. [Just had to laugh at my typo on that last word.] We were raised on real butter, real food, and the realities of life. That was then; now almost everything has been adulterated in some way. Artificial Vanilla flavoring you put in fudge come to mind? There is a distinct difference in flavor between the real thing and imitation. Things are always cheapened to sucker the consumer into buying the product.

I have a friend in Vermont who makes syrup the old fashioned way, a constantly stoked wood fire boiling the sap till the desired consistency is reached. A ton of work and lots of sweat goes into that and I admire his loyalty to tradition. His prices are reasonable by today's standards but shipping costs makes ot prohibitive for me to buy his product. His efforts in continuing traditional ways of the past are appreciated. It's plain hard work on his part but gives him the satisfaction of continuing tradition. More power to him.

An ironic twist to my time living in Vermont. I love real maple syrup and my wife's family used to tease me because in their minds "real Vermonters" didn't use maple syrup. It was just something they sold to the flatlanders.

The solution was to divorce my first wife.

An ironic twist to my time living in Vermont. I love real maple syrup and my wife's family used to tease me because in their minds "real Vermonters" didn't use maple syrup. It was just something they sold to the flatlanders.

The solution was to divorce my first wife.
Not too many flatlanders frequent the VT coops, and the coops are usually well-stocked with VT maple syrup. So their theory falls flat on its face.

On another note, I've lived here for nearly 3 years now and I have yet to try real VT maple syrup. Gotta do that one of these days...

Not sure that I've had real maple syrup, but I dislike those maple candies shaped like maple leaves.

I honestly usually just have butter on pancakes. Real maple syrup is good, but syrup on pancakes in general is usually too sweet for me. If any at all, it'll be a tiny drizzle.

PoA's first-ever necropost about syrup?

Aldi and Costco have good prices for maple syrup.

I buy mine from Costco. It's $9 cheaper than the exact same product with a different label at Safeway. It's made in Canada.

I became a syrup snob after a two week trip to Vermont. It's amazing how bad artificial syrup tastes compared to the real thing.

Maple syrup makes the best sweet tea ever....

Jim

Which is as it should be. Aunt Jemima syrup is just nasty, when compared to the real deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I know that now, but in my defense I didn't know what real syrup was until 15 years ago. It took me a while but I've seen the light. ;)

Side note: I was also unaware that real maple syrup doesn't freeze.

Back