Synthetic Vision W/ google glass!

I want it for one main reason, would make spotting traffic much easier.
But it's not really THAT advanced...it's just your standard SVT projected on glasses rather than the PDF.

Last edited:
That is just too cool...Imagine Instrument Approaches, missed approaches, etc, etc...the possibilities are endless. This is what the military has had for years, now in the hands of the layman.

Hmmm... Not a particularly good video, but potentially interesting product to check out at OSH.

I feel like maybe it's trying to do too much, the Google Glass display sits above and off to the side of your normal field of vision. Anything that requires more than quick glances I imagine would be uncomfortable after a period of time.

Of course I could be wrong, and I'd be happy to be wrong on this one, even I have no intention of spending $1500 on Glass.

I want it for one main reason, would make spotting traffic much easier.
But it's not really THAT advanced...it's just your standard SVT projected on glasses rather than the PDF.

x2. Traffic, spotting and taxiing at unfamiliar airports. Extremely beneficial.

Everything else was cool and possibly helpful but also very distracting (climb boxes tho? Very distracting. Then again, I'm sure you'd be able to toggle things on/off or change transparency settings.

Also a simple question... can one put flip-down shades on a google glass frame? That would be pilot requirement #1.

Last edited:
That is just too cool...Imagine Instrument Approaches, missed approaches, etc, etc...the possibilities are endless. This is what the military has had for years, now in the hands of the layman.

You would trust something made by Google in a safety critical situation? I've seen way too many S T U P I D bugs that never get fixed in their products.

You would trust something made by Google in a safety critical situation?

A lot of us seem to trust something made by Apple in a safety critical situation.

You can get HUD now, but Google glass seems like a good fit for aviation. But only if it can get a bluetooth connection to the Garmin glass.

How does Glass know where you're looking?

For close up stuff, I get it that it can see the sign/building/person you can see. But for an item like painting a symbol on a distant traffic target, does it have sensors to know you're looking to the left and up/down?

And I agree that for something that doesn't depend on knowing where you look, such as details from an IAP or a EFIS representation, that it could prove of use.

How does Glass know where you're looking?

The same way your phone knows which direction it's pointing for all those fun "augmented reality" applications. Think SkyView for iOS, or Google Sky for Android, as examples.

Most high-end phones have a gyroscope sensor these days, in addition to the compass and accelerometer sensors that have been part of the package pretty much from the start.

From https://developers.google.com/glass/develop/gdk/location-sensors:
Sensors

The following sensors are supported on Glass:

TYPE_ACCELEROMETER
TYPE_GRAVITY
TYPE_GYROSCOPE
TYPE_LIGHT
TYPE_LINEAR_ACCELERATION
TYPE_MAGNETIC_FIELD
TYPE_ORIENTATION (deprecated)
TYPE_ROTATION_VECTOR
The following sensors are not supported:

TYPE_AMBIENT_TEMPERATURE
TYPE_PRESSURE
TYPE_PROXIMITY
TYPE_RELATIVE_HUMIDITY
TYPE_TEMPERATURE

You can get HUD now, but Google glass seems like a good fit for aviation. But only if it can get a bluetooth connection to the Garmin glass.

Garmin is supposed to be putting out a Bluetooth link to the GDL-88, GNS & GTN series radios to interface with Garmin Pilot, be interesting if they let it play with anyone else. It looks like I'll end up with the GDL-88.

You would trust something made by Google in a safety critical situation? I've seen way too many S T U P I D bugs that never get fixed in their products.
+1. That was my first reaction. How about shooting an approach using GGSV to find the runway and getting the BSOD at about 200 AGL?

+1. That was my first reaction. How about shooting an approach using GGSV to find the runway and getting the BSOD at about 200 AGL?

BSOD is Microsoft, Google would probably give you a sad face and an ad for a doctor's office/hospital.

That being said, I think it's similar to any other situation involving an Android/iOS device, you can use it as primary, but you'd need to have an equally capable (but less convenient/user friendly) backup. Like using a tablet for charts, but having the paper chart as backup.

It's just "situational awareness", NOT primary navigation.

I've seen plenty of Garmin portable (and certified) devices crash too.

Back