Synthetic vision Foreflight

Hilton just made SV free for current subscribers.....competition is good, I guess.

Other than being "cute", how much advantage would it give in flat FL? Would it help in finding some of those obscure airports that are hidden behind trees and can't be seen until you are on top of them? I find that the extended runway lines are great for that.
The first time I flew into the Houston metro area, looking for one of the bazillion little airstrips under their Class Bravo, I couldn't find it. It was a residential airpark that looked like just another neighborhood, and even with my GPS, I simply did not see it. With the heavy VFR traffic in the area, this was nerve wracking enough to make me say "to hell with it".

The next time I was invited to that little strip, I had synthetic vision. OMG, what a difference! In the GRT Horizon HXr, there is a magenta balloon, "floating" over the virtual field. I told it to set up a synthetic approach to the runway, and it laid out "Highway in the Sky" boxes for me to fly through -- right to the runway threshold.

Finding that airport simply could not have been easier, or safer.

The future is now, boys and girls. Embrace it!

By the way, as you would expect from ForeFlight, it's very well done - No lag or jumpiness at all on my Mini, and of course rock solid stable. I haven't actually tried controlling the plane with it yet (I'll do that with a CFII on board), but I'm sure if it came down to that it'd be easy.

Do you use a yoke mount on your Mini in the Mooney?

Hilton Strikes Back and GA Wins...

SV Free!
As the first major EFB to introduce Synthetic Vision on iPad (even on a cell phone!), WingX Pro7 has led the way in advancing the technology capabilities in mobile aviation solutions. Moreover we have worked hard with many partners to integrate external devices so that we don't force you to buy a proprietary device. Some of these devices provide AHRS data that enables WingX Pro7's Synthetic Vision engine to render the pitch and bank of the outside world in amazing real-time. Even more amazing is that we did this more than 3 1/2 years ago and only recently have other EFBs added their version of Synthetic Vision (but still requiring their proprietary hardware).

As a way of saying thank you for a wonderful decade of support, Synthetic Vision is now free to every WingX Pro7 who has a current subscription.

Hilton is also making Wing X free for CFIs.

CFI Free!
The WingX Rewind launch has been amazing. Pilots are recording flights and viewing them in Google Earth or using the GPX data to visualize the flight in their favorite 3D viewer or even viewing them right in WingX Pro7 on the iPad! No other EFB comes close to this capability. Flight instructors are already seeing the benefits and have started incorporating WingX Rewind as part of their post-flight debrief. This is exciting. So exciting that we want every CFI to have the opportunity to integrate WingX Rewind into their flight training. Introducing CFI Free! Certificated Flight Instructors (CFIs) now get:
A free WingX Pro7 subscription including WingX Rewind
An Advanced IFR subscription with Approach Chart Geo-Referencing and the new IAP Routing
A Synthetic Vision subscription
WingX Pro7 is now free for Flight Instructors.

For more information about CFI Free and instructions on how to sign-up for CFI Free, visit:
http://hiltonsoftware.com/cfi

Last edited:
Running this without a Stratus would be very inaccurate especially if the iPad is mounted on a kneeboard or the yoke. It would register the pitch and bank of the iPad not the airplane.

Not true. If you're not connected to a stratus, it shows you straight and level SV, it does NOT try to use the iPad's sensors for the exact reason you state.

Not true. If you're not connected to a stratus, it shows you straight and level SV, it does NOT try to use the iPad's sensors for the exact reason you state.

Cool. I was wondering if they'd just disable that. Makes sense.

800x600-KEGE%20approach%20banking%20right%20next%20leg%20landscape.jpg

800x600-12TN-obstacle-split-screen.jpg

Seeing that makes me glad I stuck with the full size iPad Air....like having two Mini's side by side. Should be interesting.

So 3 years ago..... Yawn. ....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
3 years? Mountain Scope from PCAvionics was doing it on Pocket PC(remember those?) and Windows tablets in 2003 or so.

3 years? Mountain Scope from PCAvionics was doing it on Pocket PC(remember those?) and Windows tablets in 2003 or so.

Talking 3 years on iPads and yes, I remember Pocket PC

I remember Mountain Scope. It was the first computer based GPS program I used for flying. I had it on my laptop and on a smaller eBook PC in the plane. That was really a great program for its time. The synthvision graphics were very sharp and detailed. The main thing it really lacked was georeferenced maps and plates. The big thing I hated though was how long it took for my eBook PC to boot up and be ready to use before each flight.

Hilton Strikes Back and GA Wins...

Hilton is also making Wing X free for CFIs.

Nice. Never used Wing X but I'll certainly give it a shot for free. Just e-mailed them my info.

Seeing that makes me glad I stuck with the full size iPad Air....like having two Mini's side by side. Should be interesting.

Since you're an active instructor, please remember to grab lots of screen shots and make notes about your various flights with it. Then come back at in a few weeks with a report of how it's working for you.

Since you're an active instructor, please remember to grab lots of screen shots and make notes about your various flights with it. Then come back at in a few weeks with a report of how it's working for you.

Definitely. Santa is delivering my Stratus 2 tomorrow, according to his Elves at UPS.

according to his Elves at UPS.

If you haven't already done so, be sure to add the TV special, "Prep and Landing" to your Christmas TV show list.

Being a pilot makes this show even more enjoyable, specially with the reindeer reacting to the hard IMC.

Loss of power and at night could help you glide to a more favorable off field landing.

Well I bit the bullet and added synthetic vision since I had to renew my Foreflight anyway. So far it seems pretty cool but my plane is in the shop so I can't try it in the air yet.

I notice that the view it gives you is the view from the direction of travel, not the direction the Ipad is pointed, so you need to be moving for it to give you the right view. I'll play with it a little bit in the car later.

Back