Synth Viz Safety Incident

masloki

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Nunya
http://aviationweek.com/connected-a...nt-shows-limitations-synthetic-vision-systems

"Both pilots told investigators that they had previously experienced failure of primary flight instruments at low level and at night in different aircraft (without synthetic vision systems). They had been able to disregard the erroneous or failed instruments and reference the standby instruments to maintain control of the aircraft and situational awareness. However, the pilots told the ATSB that the prominence of the synthetic vision display was so prominent that it was difficult to ignore the erroneous information and locate valid information. Additionally, the pilot flying reported feeling a level of motion sickness, probably associated with the combined effects of the prominent synthetic vision display and conflicting vestibular sensory information."

I am surprised there isn't a flag immediately when incoming data from multiple sources has a conflict. GPS says you are ascending, radio altimeter with terrain data says you are descending - one of them has to be wrong.

So cover the display, problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about just turn the damn synthetic vision off? On G1000s, there is a PFD softkey that does exactly that.

The ABSOLUTE FIRST rule of gadgetry is to know how to turn it off, including what to do if the first attempt doesn't work. If you don't know how to do that, you shouldn't be flying with it.

When I started flying about 15 years ago the training I received was far different from the type of training I hear about and see going on now, esp in flight schools that have G1000 Skyhawks. I understand that by all face value accounts GPS, synthetic vision, etc., makes flying safer, esp at night, near terrain, etc. However I believe the core fundamentals of flying should be honed on a classic 6 pack airplane and navigation be done with VORs and paper maps at initial training. Once you've proven your skills at this level you can graduate to the fancier stuff, but I think having those core foundations to fall back on are critical. Everyone should be able to do a VFR cross country flight competently with only your basic VFR nav skills...

So cover the display, problem solved.
this was actually the first thing I thought of too when I saw the post and read the article.. esp if it is making you motion sick and you can't focus find some way to cover it

Fly like you train, train like you fly . . .I'm an old timer, but I ain't hauling out paper charts and using VOR as a primary navigation source, unless the more useful stuff breaks. I wouldn't recommend to a kid to learn exclusively on a six pack and VOR - unless that's what he'll be flying. I'd honestly do it the other way around - get proficient with the common, modern stuff. Drag out the charts, and muck about with the VOR later, after you have the fundamentals conquered.

Back