Switching to cash

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Got a call on Saturday
"We just want to confirm you wish to do a direct wire transfer from your primary checking account to the account in Mexico" :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

I started digging and it was a company called Xoom.com
someone had my name, cell, and checking acct no.

Only thing I can think of is handing my debit card to a waitress at a restaurant. That would be the only time it leaves my sight that I can imagine.

I don't know what type of information someone is able to get from a debit card but it was frustrating and eye opening to get that call. :mad:

Do you use cash when going out or have something else in place to prevent this type of thing?

I don't think you can obtain a checking account number from its associated debit card. It is, however, printed in bold on every check you ever wrote...

Rich

EDIT: I rarely eat out any more, but when I do, I do pay in cash. When I don't have enough cash on me (such as when the stop was unplanned), I either withdraw the money from an ATM, or I insist on walking the card to the terminal or register myself.

Last edited:
We've had our check card numbers stolen 3x now. And almost never carry cash. I've become an old pro at the disputes and actually have a "system" in place now to alleviate the pain involved with having my primary method of payment for things cut up before my very eyes: two checking accounts (both with check cards).

When account A gets compromised, they cut up the cards and I have to wait 7-10 business days to get new ones. So I transfer money to account B and use those check cards in the meantime. It's not ideal, but it's better than having to go to the bank for cash every couple of days (or worse, pay ATM fees). When the new cards arrive, transfer money back, if necessary, and use the new cards. (Bonus: I sometimes "forget" to transfer all of the money back from the second account... which has come to be known as my flying account. ;))

Not sure how someone would get a checking account number from a check card, though. That one's curious to me.

I really wish these scumbags would put their intelligence to good use instead of being con artists. I'm sure there are some very brilliant minds behind these types of crimes...its sad!

okay.

To be fair, I did my best not to provide any info to the person on the phone.
I asked the amount, and some details about me which they provided.

When I asked which account she said "I am not allowed to give that out but if you give me the last 4 digits, I can confirm" I wish I had first given 4 fake digits to test her but I just gave her the last four, she put me on hold, came back and said "yes it is the one ending in xyz."

Makes more sense if it was from a check.

When I called the bank, they had no record of anyone trying to make a transaction but I am not sure how Xoom.com works. I guess the transaction would have only hit the bank if I approved it.

We've had our check card numbers stolen 3x now. And almost never carry cash. I've become an old pro at the disputes and actually have a "system" in place now to alleviate the pain involved with having my primary method of payment for things cut up before my very eyes: two checking accounts (both with check cards).

When account A gets compromised, they cut up the cards and I have to wait 7-10 business days to get new ones. So I transfer money to account B and use those check cards in the meantime. It's not ideal, but it's better than having to go to the bank for cash every couple of days (or worse, pay ATM fees). When the new cards arrive, transfer money back, if necessary, and use the new cards. (Bonus: I sometimes "forget" to transfer all of the money back from the second account... which has come to be known as my flying account. ;))

Not sure how someone would get a checking account number from a check card, though. That one's curious to me.

Something's def. up these days.
I have been issued 3 new cards this year proactively by the bank "due to potential fraudulent activity" I have 3 accounts and it is always the same one (the one I use most frequently of course)

I am amazed that people still use cards attached to a bank account with money in it. Why not simply use a credit card specifically for day to day spending and a different card for online purchases? Earn your miles/rewards, pay them off every month and not worry about the funds in your bank account.

I am amazed that people still use cards attached to a bank account with money in it. Why not simply use a credit card specifically for day to day spending and a different card for online purchases? Earn your miles/rewards, pay them off every month and not worry about the funds in your bank account.

Not a bad idea at all.
I have a credit card that is simply that but it is hooked to my bank's bill pay.
There is a setting where I can put "Pay in entirety - monthly" might be the way to go.

Plus that credit card has a picture of a plane on the front of it so it is that much more badass right.

Not a bad idea at all.
I have a credit card that is simply that but it is hooked to my bank's bill pay.
There is a setting where I can put "Pay in entirety - monthly" might be the way to go.

Plus that credit card has a picture of a plane on the front of it so it is that much more badass right.

I am for this if we can earn points or miles. My sister has paid for several flights and hotel rooms this way. They put it all on a card & pay it off monthly.

This is what I don't get either. Let them steal my CC info and charge crap all day. Doesn't cost me a dime directly.

Debit cards are for dummies. :rolleyes2:

Last edited:
Something's def. up these days.
I have been issued 3 new cards this year proactively by the bank "due to potential fraudulent activity" I have 3 accounts and it is always the same one (the one I use most frequently of course)

I'm on my fourth this year. And yes, I use it a lot. And it's a pain because I have things like my transponder for the toll roads tied to it.

It's definitely getting worse.

John

okay.

When I asked which account she said "I am not allowed to give that out but if you give me the last 4 digits, I can confirm" I wish I had first given 4 fake digits to test her but I just gave her the last four, she put me on hold, came back and said "yes it is the one ending in xyz."

Makes more sense if it was from a check.

When I called the bank, they had no record of anyone trying to make a transaction but I am not sure how Xoom.com works. I guess the transaction would have only hit the bank if I approved it.

Be very careful with this stuff, I got a phone call the other day supposedly from First Bank (I think) saying they had to verify my account number or something like that over concerns of fradulent activity. Funny thing... I don't, and have never had, a First Bank account. Look online, and the bank is warning people that there is a phone scam going around.

Point being, I will never give any of my info to someone that contacts me. It's another matter if I'm calling/emailing them, I know the number I dialed or e-mail I typed; but if they're the ones calling I have no way of verifying they are who they say. Caller ID spoofing is doable.

I am for this if we can earn points or miles. My sister has paid for several flights and hotel rooms this way. They put it all on a card & pay it off monthly.

As long as the card has a photo of a plane on it, I'm game.

FredBob's advice of never giving out info to someone who calls you is spot on.

I've even had customers get wary when *I* called them to provide info and pricing on something they wanted and I'm closing the deal with "...if I can get access to your card info, I'll get the order rolling." When they turn on the red warning like, I'm totally cool with it and say, "No problem. Call me back at the first number you used, ask for me at ext. 304, and we'll proceed".

When I do get phishing attempts, I do my best to get a complete profile and details of the call and caller, including a number to call back. Then I call my bank's security department and relay the information.

You and 6PC need to get a hotel room.. Just don't let his wife find out..:redface:.....;)

Two things I have leaned from several financial consumer gurus...first, cut up your debit check card and get a regular old ATM card for account access...second, never link any payment to your bank account.

First reason for both is that if there is and fraudulent activity, the money is gone outta your account THEN you have to fight to get it back. If you use a credit card, they will not charge you until any dispute is resolved. Check cards do not have the same protections as credit cards. Also if you use your bank account to pay a another account they have your money if there is a dispute.

Second reason is that both of those methods also put your info tied directly to your bank account out in cyberspace to be hacked.

Recommended method and what I do us due credit card ONLY, never debit and all of my bills are paid through my bank's online bill pay system where the bank pushes the money to the vendor, not the vendor taking money outta my account.

Much safer. .

I had 3 card numbers stolen at the same time. Not the physical cards though. No idea how they did it, but they got my debit card and 2 credit cards. They used $1200 on my debit card and another $1500 in the credit cards. Had me signed up for dating services and hotel rooms all over and a shopping spree at walmart. Took me 3 months to get my money back from the bank and only a couple days from AMEX and VISA. I have since stopped using a debit card anywhere and got myself a lifelock membership (who knows if that really helps, but is better than nothing I guess).

This is what I don't get either. Let them steal my CC info and charge crap all day. Doesn't cost me a dime directly.

Debit cards are for dummies. :rolleyes2:

I haven't seen a debit card that didn't have the same buyer protection for like 15 years. Does that still exist?

okay.

Wait. She called, and wouldn't tell you what account? And then you gave her your account digits?!!?!?? :yikes:

The only way to go. I don't/won't have a debit card.

I agree. Debit cards can be big trouble! I go to the bank teller every two weeks, get five or six hundred bucks in fiftys, usually pay cash at a resturant(wife and I don't like cheap unhealthy food) put the gas on the single credit card I've got. ( have never had more than one) and do very few money transactions on the Internet. Articles I've read about debit cards scare me.

Wait. She called, and wouldn't tell you what account? And then you gave her your account digits?!!?!?? :yikes:

if they can figure out the acct number from the last 4 digits then they deserve the money.

I really wish these scumbags would put their intelligence to good use instead of being con artists. I'm sure there are some very brilliant minds behind these types of crimes...its sad!
EXACTLY. Instead probably just scamming to get more money for Draino and Sudafed.

Go to a bank that has upgraded to the credit cards, with a chip in them. Cash also works,except at hotels and a few other places.

if they can figure out the acct number from the last 4 digits then they deserve the money.
Often they don't need to figure out your entire account number. They may already have the other numbers, but it's the last four that they need for security purposes. Other times, they take those last four digits, and use them to confirm with your real bank that they are you as they give the bank instructions as to what to do with the funds in your account, or to get them to reset your password and change your contact e-mail address for them to send the new password to an e-mail address that they control. Then they log on as you and start sending themselves your money.

I will not have a debit card. I use cash for most things and a credit card for large purchases. I don't let the card out of my sight.

I had my wallet stolen once and the only money I actually lost was the cash that was in it. I had maybe three or four credit cards and a couple debit cards but no one tried to use them before I notified the companies. The rest of the stuff was just a PITA; driver's license, pilot's license (with SS number still on it, I guess no one noticed or cared), medical, etc.

I haven't seen a debit card that didn't have the same buyer protection for like 15 years. Does that still exist?

I don't know of any that don't have fraud protection. I didn't lose a dime any of the four times my information was stolen.

The only times that anyone attempted to use the cards was the compromise previous to the most recent compromise (the Foodtown one). The first attempts were successful. Someone successfully made two large purchases on my PayPal Business Debit card, which typically has several thousand dollars available at any given time. I caught the purchases because PayPal emails me every time the card is used, and I get those emails on my BlackBerry within seconds. I called PayPal and they canceled the card and immediately issued a temporary credit.

The second attempt my credit union caught by whatever methods they use to ferret out unusual purchases. They declined the charge, so there was nothing to credit. But they did cancel the card and stamped me out a new one with a different number. They also canceled my business debit card and issued a new one, just to be on the safe side. The cards were waiting for me at the branch within minutes of the call.

The problem with debit cards is that although you're protected against fraud (at least by any issuer I know of), the money stolen by fraud would be your money, not the banks; and you would have to wait for them to give it back to you. I don't know if they're required to give you a credit pending investigation, but if not, it could be a real hardship if the account that got compromised was the one you lived on.

You see, these investigations are not open-and-shut affairs. In my case it started with the County Sheriff, who took a great deal of information. This included current printouts of the activity on all of my cards, not just the ones that were compromised. They then turned this information (along with that of all the other good citizens of Sparrow-Fart whose cards had been compromised) over to the State Police Cybercrimes Unit, who in turn got the Secret Service involved when it became apparent that the hack had occurred upstream at the processor, not at the POS machines.

I forget exactly how long it took to identity the source of the breach, but I think it was about a week or two. It didn't affect me other than inasmuch as I had to have all my cards re-issued, which was a major pain in the ass, but didn't cost me anything. The only successful charges were against the PayPal debit card, and PayPal immediately issued me a temporary credit. That credit became permanent once the investigation was completed.

So frankly, I think the hatred of debit cards is a bit exaggerated. No one I know in the whole town lost a dime in that debacle, and almost everyone in town got caught up in it because we all used that supermarket. But yeah, if money's going to be stolen, I'd rather it be the card issuer's money than my own; so yeah, I agree that credit cards are marginally safer. I just think the fear of debit cards is a bit over the top.

Look, debit cards are very profitable to institutions. They get to charge the fees without lending money to the cardholders, so their risk is limited to fraud.

One of my issuers, Fidelity, even refunds the ATM fees on the debit card associated with my Cash Management Account, and provides all sorts of purchase protections, extended warranties, and so forth on products I purchase with the card. They really do want people using their plastic.

Debit cards being as profitable as they are to issuers, the last thing the issuers want is for debit card holders to be afraid to use them. It's as close to free money as they can get. They're going to do whatever they can to inspire cardholders' confidence.

But in the end, it's still the cardholders' money that's going to be stolen if the card is compromised; so yes, credit cards are safer in that regards. But I do think that the risk of using debit cards is way overblown. For all the times my information has been stolen, I've never lost a dime. Perhaps part of the reason is that all the compromises were confirmed breaches, so there never was any suspicion against me. But whatever the case, I didn't lose any money.

Rich

Last edited:
Got a call on Saturday
"We just want to confirm you wish to do a direct wire transfer from your primary checking account to the account in Mexico" :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

I started digging and it was a company called Xoom.com
someone had my name, cell, and checking acct no.

Only thing I can think of is handing my debit card to a waitress at a restaurant. That would be the only time it leaves my sight that I can imagine.

I don't know what type of information someone is able to get from a debit card but it was frustrating and eye opening to get that call. :mad:

Do you use cash when going out or have something else in place to prevent this type of thing?

In process of switching to cash..Down to only one credit card, keep it paid off.

Started when I just got a new business card and used it once at a computer supply place and ended up with $3000 worth of long distance calls on it within 2 weeks.... dispute was settled but if we took the approach if we cant afford it with cash then we cannot afford it....so we may as well carry one week worth of allowance cash and when its gone its gone.

One solution that would be relatively easy to implement would be individual, virtual account numbers that could be generated on-the-fly for either one-time or continuing use, and then canceled when no longer needed or when compromised.

There are companies that insist on storing customers' checking account information on their systems and using EFT to process payments, offering customers no other payment options (such as mailing in a check or money order or initiating automatic bill pay from their own accounts). I personally think they're crazy for insisting on incurring such a huge potential liability by storing all that information, but they never asked me for my opinion.

It would be very helpful if financial institutions allowed virtual accounts to be created, and those virtual numbers provided to individual vendors. Then if one of the vendors is hacked or goes rogue (or if you simply decide that you no longer want to do business with them), that one virtual account could be canceled, leaving the main account intact.

Such a feature would be attractive enough to me that I might even consider doing business with a bank again, even after having sworn them off for credit unions years ago.

Rich

Back