Switching sides of the mike.

jpl9869

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jay
Having spent many years as a military controller, I am finally getting around to learning to fly. I noticed that a few of you are recovering controllers as well and I wanted to get your opinions on how much being a controller helps in flying.

Obviously, I am not intimidated by radio work and I know how airspace works but before communicate, comes aviate and navigate.

Never been a controller, but it seem to me it could only help. With your knowledge of flight regs and your comfort with comms, you can devote almost all of your concentration on learning the aviate and navigate parts. Sounds like you don't need the advise regarding getting overconfident thinking you already know it all.

Good luck and welcome to POA.

Hey, welcome!

Retired USAF controller, and it helps tremendously with phraseology and being comfortable with talking on the radio. That is one of the most difficult things for a Student Pilot to learn and pick up. What branch of military, and what did you work, towers or approach? Other than that though, you'll be like any other student as far as learning every thing else. Don't hesitate asking any questions. Welcome aboard!​

Hey, welcome!

Retired USAF controller, and it helps tremendously with phraseology and being comfortable with talking on the radio. That is one of the most difficult things for a Student Pilot to learn and pick up. What branch of military, and what did you work, towers or approach? Other than that though, you'll be like any other student as far as learning every thing else. Don't hesitate asking any questions. Welcome aboard!​

Thanks! I'm stoked!

I spent most of my time in the Navy in towers but a good bit of time doing approach / final. I also spent some time in the Army in tower but don't hold that against me!

The flight school I went to was surprised to see my CTO rating on ICARS. Funny thing, though, I have had a CTO at mutilple facilities but only the most recent date is listed. Is that normal or should I try to get them all on there? I don't know if each facility is a separate rating or if they are just endorsements... I also don't see my CTO Examiner designation...

Be sure to use "student pilot" when you make your radio calls so the controllers will go easy on you.

Thanks! I'm stoked!

I spent most of my time in the Navy in towers but a good bit of time doing approach / final. I also spent some time in the Army in tower but don't hold that against me!

The flight school I went to was surprised to see my CTO rating on ICARS. Funny thing, though, I have had a CTO at mutilple facilities but only the most recent date is listed. Is that normal or should I try to get them all on there? I don't know if each facility is a separate rating or if they are just endorsements... I also don't see my CTO Examiner designation...

Nah I won't hold that against you working Army, let alone Navy! Yes, your last tower is what will be on the CTO Certificate. So I guess different towers previously worked are like ratings, and examiner would be for specific locations so I can see why that wouldn't be on it.

If I'm in the left seat I keep the mic on the right side so it doesn't interfere with the seatbelt ;)

Having spent many years as a military controller, I am finally getting around to learning to fly. I noticed that a few of you are recovering controllers as well and I wanted to get your opinions on how much being a controller helps in flying.

Obviously, I am not intimidated by radio work and I know how airspace works but before communicate, comes aviate and navigate.

'Recovering controller' LMAO The laws of aerodynamics don't give a flyin F what you do or did for a livin. You'll get the radio side of it easy. Some of the lingo and how traffic patterns are run will be different. Where all did you work?

Back