Switched to Cecil County (58M)

gitmo234

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
gitmo234
So today was my first visit to Cecil County Airport, 58M, and flight with a new instructor. All I can say is WOW!!! I wish I went sooner.

A little background: I did 50 hours of flight training at a different airport (short field, small place) in a C172 S model. Newer and nice. In the end I wasn't happy there and had a bit of a dispute so I looked around and called 58M and immediately was impressed. Scheduled an appointment and I only wish that I had switched sooner. From facilities to people it was great.

The downside is the airplane is an M model with some serious avionics issues so I cant take a checkride in it (tomorrow it goes into the shop). So I have two options...if they can fit the bird in and get it fixed ASAP I can finish up my 1 hour of IFR and 1 hour of cross country required, then prep for the checkride, or I can go get the airplane I just bought (1957 C172), familiarize with that and check ride in it.

I'm leaning toward my own bird.

Also can I just say that 40 degree flaps are AWESOME... first experience with them.

Its been awhile since I really felt "excited" to fly.... I left there very excited.

He took me up, we did some maneuvers, then he took me back and we did 3 full stops and we pulled in and parked. Tied her down and he asked for my log book and signed me off and said "We dont have much work today, knock out your solo time and lets get you scheduled for the check ride"

Nice airport under new management. I get all my work done at Cecil aero.

Good luck on the check ride!!!

Having been based in Harford County (Philips Army Air Field), I can't resist singing "So come on kids, let's flip our lids higher than the mood. Cause now there's Beany and Cecil in....(a whole half hour)...a Bob Clampett Cartoooon!"

I radioed Philips not long ago and asked for permission to do a touch and go, they told me to call a number and if they approved I could. I called and they said no unless I submitted "hold harmless" paperwork, but I could do a low approach. Radioed tower and they cleared me in. Last minute they said to leave because they had training going on and didn't feel comfortable supporting civilian aircraft at the same time,

How is the new management of 58M? My brother in law is under final approach to 31 on the east side of the Elk river and I have been thinking of a plane trip to visit him and his family. I remember landing at this airport back in the early 80's when the runway was gravel! Currently, being a flatlander, I am a little apprehensive about such a steep slope runway. Are there many crosswind landings?

I've only landed there a few times but it's very nice asphalt. Management is all new as well. I called up to ask about hours and dropping in to check it out and the response was "aviation is supposed to be a family affair so when you come bring the family too" which was shockingly nice.

They're orienting toward making it a charter flight airport as well.

Back