Switchbox Pirep

Marc Whisman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Marc Whisman
Hi all, just an FYI. 18 months ago I purchased a Switchbox 2g to power my engine preheat system. I started having problems with the unit a couple of months later, and I was unable to test or call it to activate the heater. I was still able to activate it with the Android app (I don't have any ios devices) so I kept using it. It wasn't 100% reliable but it mostly worked. Last month it started failing to turn on when I used the app, so I called Phillip Angert and he attempted to resolve the problems over the phone. I finally decided to send it in for repair, which Phillip said would be done free.

When I inquired about sending it in, Phillip notified me that the repair would not be free, and the minimum charge would be $100 plug shipping both ways. He also said the maximum repair would be $150 plus shipping.

Since the cost was so high, I decided to look for alternatives, especially since so many people have had similar problems with reliability. I found that Reiff preheat systems was recommending fstllc for their heat system. Fst is a veteran owned company and their cell phone switch control is made in America. 2 big pluses in my book! Carl the owner can be reached at: 262-412-7580 or you can google them for their web site.

regards
~Marc

We are having trouble with the 4g unit as well. And sent it back in after a few months. I was on piperforum the other day and came across this http://www.waferstar.com/en/GSM-AUTO-4G.html This looks identical to what switchbox is selling so it just makes me wonder who is building the boxes and what the mark up is.

I purchased one a few years ago almost identical but (only about $40 from Amazon), more relays for more outputs and it worked great with AT&T for those years, then Jan this year it wouldn't work. AT&T shut down their 2G towers so it was inop. I then went to T-Mobile who supposedly has 2G services at my airport (KFTG) and have yet to get it to work at the airport - works in Aurora, but, not at the airport. I am fighting either having to buy a new box or finding a better or different way to mount the external antenna.

When it was hooked up - I loved it! Call the plane, turn on the pre-heater, send 2 text messages to activate the 100w lamp under the cowling and the ceramic heater in my cockpit.

Dean

I purchased one a few years ago almost identical but (only about $40 from Amazon), more relays for more outputs and it worked great with AT&T for those years, then Jan this year it wouldn't work. AT&T shut down their 2G towers so it was inop. I then went to T-Mobile who supposedly has 2G services at my airport (KFTG) and have yet to get it to work at the airport - works in Aurora, but, not at the airport. I am fighting either having to buy a new box or finding a better or different way to mount the external antenna.

When it was hooked up - I loved it! Call the plane, turn on the pre-heater, send 2 text messages to activate the 100w lamp under the cowling and the ceramic heater in my cockpit.

Dean
Dean

pm me this evening ...I'm based at FTG and haven't had problems with Tmobile and the switchbox. I'll probably be at the airport Wed and Fri afternoon, and most of Saturday, we can figure it out then.

We are having trouble with the 4g unit as well. And sent it back in after a few months. I was on piperforum the other day and came across this http://www.waferstar.com/en/GSM-AUTO-4G.html This looks identical to what switchbox is selling so it just makes me wonder who is building the boxes and what the mark up is.
There are many lower cost options...the guts of switchbox is the GSM card that is less than $25 in bulk from China. Add the sim, the power cords, etc yourself.

Those are indeed the same box that Phillip uses. The 4g box is the GSM Auto AC 4g. They sell them online and on ebay for around $150. Phillip charges double that.

regards
~Marc

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back