Switch to Apple--questions

4CornerFlyer

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
4CornerFlyer
I know there are a number of folks here who love Apple computers, and I'd like to ask your advice. The time has come to replace my aging home desktop, and I'm thinking of making the jump to Macs.

Will I be able to easily set up a Mac to work with a home wireless network consisting of Windows Xp computers? If the Mac has a built-in 802.11g wireless card, will that work with my 802.11b router, or will I have to replace that? Will I be able to share files between the Apple and Windows systems?

As far as I know I'll be stuck using the Windows pc for updating my GPS. Anyone know if the Mac OS supports anything like the Jepp Skybound device?

Is there much of a learning curve to the Apples?

Thanks,
Jon

4CornerFlyer said:
Will I be able to easily set up a Mac to work with a home wireless network consisting of Windows Xp computers?
Yes.
4CornerFlyer said:
If the Mac has a built-in 802.11g wireless card, will that work with my 802.11b router, or will I have to replace that?
It will work.
4CornerFlyer said:
Will I be able to share files between the Apple and Windows systems?
Yes, Apple makes this very easy.
4CornerFlyer said:
As far as I know I'll be stuck using the Windows pc for updating my GPS. Anyone know if the Mac OS supports anything like the Jepp Skybound device?
I'm not sure. Worse case you can use a product from Microsoft called VirtualPC it will let you run a windows enviroment. It's not exactly *fast* but would work fine for updating your GPS.
4CornerFlyer said:
Is there much of a learning curve to the Apples?
You have to first make sure you understand what you are doing. You are switching operating systems completely. Everything will feel different, It doesn't mean its more difficult. It's just not what you are used to.

I have quite a bit of experiance with Apple OS X and love it. But I have also been a strictly a linux user for about the last five years. They are very similar (OS X is based on Unix)

If you think carefully about your purchase and make sure you realise what you are doing. I don't think you will regret it. Infact I don't think you'll be switching back any time soon.

Back