Switch off mineral now or later?

PoAdeleted5

Deleted by User Request
Recap of the saga: Cherokee 180C, O-360-A3A, freshly overhauled with Millenium cylinders. Full flow filter.

Oil consumption was ust about stable at like 2 hours of run time. Fuel consumption has stabilized. Changed oil at 9 hours at annual, compressions were all 78's. I now have 16 hours SMOH. The mineral oil looks clean. In the last 6-7 hours of run time, it's burned maybe 1/4-1/3 of a quart.

I'm going on a long trip this weekend, expect to put another 7-8 hours on the plane round trip. Expect hot weather, planning on cruising at normal altitudes and operating conditions.

Should I change to ashless dispersent oil now, right before the trip, or wait until I come back?

larrysb said:
Recap of the saga: Cherokee 180C, O-360-A3A, freshly overhauled with Millenium cylinders. Full flow filter.

Oil consumption was ust about stable at like 2 hours of run time. Fuel consumption has stabilized. Changed oil at 9 hours at annual, compressions were all 78's. I now have 16 hours SMOH. The mineral oil looks clean. In the last 6-7 hours of run time, it's burned maybe 1/4-1/3 of a quart.

I'm going on a long trip this weekend, expect to put another 7-8 hours on the plane round trip. Expect hot weather, planning on cruising at normal altitudes and operating conditions.

Should I change to ashless dispersent oil now, right before the trip, or wait until I come back?

I would think you'd be better off with AD oil, but mineral oil with only 15-16 hours on it shouldn't be all that bad. The most important issue is that mineral oil will allow sludge deposits to form if left in too long, but 15 hours doesn't seem too long. IOW change it if it's convenient, but don't sweat it.

Back