Switch off engine no stoppy..p-leads?

BTW, who gave you the idea to do otherwise?

A guy I know who has been flying longer than Ive been alive. He said that's how he shuts down an engine that he plans to start very soon otherwise being hot he has a hard time. So I tried it....

Well..I talked with a new mechanic today and I think Im done worrying about it. Too many different things Im hearing. This mechanic said the only time he had heard it diesel after shutting the mags down was when the switch is bad. So he recommended not flying it and having the switch checked out because if bad it could cause both mags to ground out and shut down. UGH...so.....could be true.. But..

Had I not shut it down like I did I would have never known and it shuts down normally when pulling the mixture which leads me to believe everything is fine. Im just learning what is normal to me in my new to me plane.

Do not hire this mechanic to do any of your diagnostic work, he doesn't know enough. What is his plan? This guy is going to cost you a ton of money.

Do not hire this mechanic to do any of your diagnostic work, he doesn't know enough. What is his plan? This guy is going to cost you a ton of money.

He just said he was going to test the switch. Now unless this switch operates differently, it will either show continuity or not. And I know the mag check is good at run up so I'm inclined to believe the switch is fine. Im gonna inspect the p-leads this weekend and look for corrosion and cracks in the shielding. I believe the mags have 850 hours on them. So Ill definitely have them looked at and serviced at annual which is in April unless things start showing up ugly during the run ups which so far they have not. Ill shut down with mixture and ill continue going on to enjoy my plane. I might just pay way to close of attention to things. I have a buddy who notices nothing, as longs as the needles are up he is going...Not me..I see and hear everything!

He just said he was going to test the switch. Now unless this switch operates differently, it will either show continuity or not. And I know the mag check is good at run up so I'm inclined to believe the switch is fine. Im gonna inspect the p-leads this weekend and look for corrosion and cracks in the shielding. I believe the mags have 850 hours on them. So Ill definitely have them looked at and serviced at annual which is in April unless things start showing up ugly during the run ups which so far they have not. Ill shut down with mixture and ill continue going on to enjoy my plane. I might just pay way to close of attention to things. I have a buddy who notices nothing, as longs as the needles are up he is going...Not me..I see and hear everything!

It's likely going to cost $50 to test the switch, and come out ok. At least he doesn't want to change the switch.

Don't fix things that aren't broke.

Every body did it that way, because those carbs leaked like a colander.

Yes..Yes they certainly do. At least mine does. I do the shut the fuel off routine as well.

Other than the leaking, it's a great carb I've never had any trouble with and runs so sweet.

Yes..Yes they certainly do. At least mine does. I do the shut the fuel off routine as well.

Other than the leaking, it's a great carb I've never had any trouble with and runs so sweet.

Mine doesn't leak. It has the neoprene-tipped float needle.

And yes, they are smooth. Far better than the Marvel Schebler and all its offspring.

Dan

Well that sucks. I guess I'll just continue to ignore the leak like I've done successfully for the last three years.

Find out where it leaks, and fix it. :)

Be aware before getting too enthusiastic about the Bendix Stromberg carb that it requires a much higher fuel pressure to maintain the proper float level during engine operation. The Marvel Schebler apparently has a larger opening in the float valve such that it can operate with less fuel pressure.

I ran into this with the cowl tank on my C-85 powered J4A, which has only about 9 inches of fuel head requiring the Stromberg carb to meet the engine's TCDS specs. The Stromberg carb wasn't even close, requiring like 30+ inches of head. I feel lucky to have stumbled onto the C-85 TCDS note, although replacing the carb with M-S was expen$ive..........

Last edited:
Be aware before getting too enthusiastic about the Bendix Stromberg carb that it requires a much higher fuel pressure to maintain the proper float level during engine operation. The Marvel Schebler apparently has a larger opening in the float valve such that it can operate with less fuel pressure.

I ran into this with the cowl tank on my C-85 powered J4A, which has only about 9 inches of fuel head requiring the Stromberg carb to meet the engine's TCDS specs. The Stromberg carb wasn't even close, requiring like 30+ inches of head. I feel lucky to have stumbled onto the C-85 TCDS note, although replacing the carb with M-S was expen$ive..........

My Jodel has very little head pressure and does just fine. I bet it has no more than eight or nine inches when the fuel is at 1/4 full and the airplane is in the climb. Stromberg's recommendation is 24" of head, or 0.5 psi, which is 19".

http://www.7ts0.com/manuals/continental/A-50-65-75/Instruction_Stromberg.pdf

That float valve in those carbs is big and will flow lots of fuel. The neoprene-tipped valve, like mine has, supposedly will not tolerate any ethanol and can swell and reduce flow or even stick. Maybe that was your issue.

Dan

Time to call bill pancake. He's a pro on Stromberg carbs and small continentals. Not many like him around any more. He has Many trophys from oshkosh.ethonol gas will screw up neoprene needle for sure not to mention a gas line etc. most Strombergs fail due to being manhandled by a plumber, float set incorrectly, etc.

Last edited:
That float valve in those carbs is big and will flow lots of fuel. The neoprene-tipped valve, like mine has, supposedly will not tolerate any ethanol and can swell and reduce flow or even stick. Maybe that was your issue.
No, it was the FAA's engine TCDS, note 2 at;

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...285fdf8625797a007399d0/$FILE/E-233 rev 18.pdf

that required the engine to have a Marvel Schebler carb. The J4 of course is type certificated unlike your Jodel.

Even so, I find the Piper J-4 fuel delivery to be marginal for upgrade to a C-85.

Last edited:
I had a trophy 85 hp champ with the standard 12-13 gallon tank, no wing tanks. Stromberg carb. Flew great, no problems.

Another factor in low flow: a dirtied-up carb inlet screen.

When I restored the Jodel I did a fuel flow test to satisfy myself. The rules here (Canada) demand 150% of max engine fuel consumption when the fuel volume is at its lowest and the airplane is in its max climb angle. I parked the airplane on a slope, facing uphill, well beyond the usual climb attitude, and pulled the plug out of the bottom of the carb. I got way more than 150% of fuel flow, even with a really small head pressure. That engine (A-65) burns about 5 or 5.5 GPH at full throttle, which isn't much to expect to dribble out of the carb's bowl drain in an hour. I got at least double that.

Dan

Back