Switch-Breaker combo for avionics master

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
My airplane is in the shop for a major panel upgrade. As part of the upgrade, they are replacing all my ancient flush circuit breakers with physically smaller Klixon breakers so that I can increase from 28 breakers to about 40 (and be able to pull them if needed). That part is fine, but I need to figure out what to do about my avionics master switch.

My airplane's avionics master is connected to a solenoid and there is a second (I assume heavy duty) switch connected in parallel in case the first one fails (which happened about a year ago and I had the solenoid replaced).

My shop is suggesting to get rid of the solenoid and just use a switch/breaker for the master and they can still put a second one in parallel if I want. These would be placed in the new circuit breaker layout rather than up on the panel.

I read about the 2013 SAIB for Tyco and Potter Brumfield W31 switch/breakers which I gather have been redesigned to address the SAIB.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=6a6f4b28-82cc-4fd4-8337-c240470fd3d0

So what do you think is the best way to handle the avionics master:

1. The current solenoid + backup parallel switch.
2. Tyco or Potter Brumfield W31s mounted in the CB panel.
3. Klixon 7270-1 breaker/switches mounted in the CB panel - very expensive at $150ea.
4. Something else?

I use switch breakers for all normally switched loads and pull breakers for the rest. Simple and clean.

"Analysis of available service difficulty report (SDR) data indicates 2 percent of those analyzed failed by 2,000 cycles; 50 percent of those analyzed failed by 6,500 cycles, and 90 percent of those analyzed failed by 10,000 cycles. The FAA’s analysis shows that on average there is one cycle per flight hour for normal operations and four cycles per flight hour for high usage (e.g. flight training)."

So, the breakers have a better TBO than your piston engine.

Actually, my plane has a second BREAKER which is always pulled in normal use that is the emergency avionics power. The primary is controlled by the small toggle with the relay (which is fed by a normally closed breaker).

My wife calls me one day and says the avionics master won't shut off. I tell her to make sure the emergency is NOT pulled (that was it).

The plane I fly has the same setup as flyingron's.

IMG_3902.JPG And laying out the Cub panel. A G3X Touch requires a lot of breakers!

Back