mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Last edited:
mikea said:
THIS could be why they want to close the airport in Atlantic City.

Watch as the jet tries to swim to shore.
http://www.glumbert.com/media/planecrash.html

"He landed long, and downwind...." then said the brakes failed.

You know that the pilot doesn't want the insurance company to see this video.

"Yo boss, sit right there, hold my beer and watch this..."

That's one dog of an amphib! He otta try some props or sumtin.

What I want to know is who were the guys filming this and why did they just happen to be in the right place at the right time? Were they fortold of some problem with this jet?

smigaldi said:
What I want to know is who were the guys filming this and why did they just happen to be in the right place at the right time? Were they fortold of some problem with this jet?

Looked to me like they were airport maintenance. Some people carry a video in case they see something, they can bring it to the office. Bader was closed to jet traffic I believe, and the pilot overflew the runway into the wind and then came back around landing downwind. The beginning makes me think that during the flyby, the guy anticipating someone landing a jet there got his camera out to tape it. You can tell that they were incredulous about him landing there even as he was still airborn.

My favorite part is the pilot didn't shut down the master after going in the water. I also think that he tried a (obviously past the) last second go around since the power levers were fully advanced.

Henning said:
My favorite part is the pilot didn't shut down the master after going in the water. I also think that he tried a (obviously past the) last second go around since the power levers were fully advanced.
Is that what it was? I was thinking that the controls got shorted by the water.

mikea said:
Is that what it was? I was thinking that the controls got shorted by the water.

The controls are manual I believe, but not positive. If he would have shut down the master, I don't think it could have gotten juice to spin. Even when I left planes upside down in the crop, I turned of master, mags & fuel before dropping out.

Search the ntsb for the 'N' number OY-JET, its a Danish Citation.
The report says he overflew the runway at 100' (I think at 90degrees?), climbed to 300' then came back and 'landed'. Check the approach speeds, kinda high. Yes they found on the yoke an airport/approach diagram that says 'Closed to Jet Traffic'.
Discussion with a couple jet mechanics we think he adbandoned the airplane with the battery switch on, the igniters on (a normal approach procedure) and the report says the #2 thrust lever was bent and at the idle stop. So it was all likely running as they entered the water, and flamed out due to water ingestion. Then either it was windmilling with fuel and spark readily available or the starter contactors became energized as they got wet, and it started back up again.

Henning said:

Fromt he NTSB
The left throttle lever was observed in idle cut off, and the right throttle lever was bent to the right at the idle stop.
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20050526X00676&ntsbno=NYC05LA085&akey=1

Are the throttles electronically coupled to the engines and the salt water somehow caused the engine to go to full throttle? Or did the bending of the right throttle somehow cause the full throttle conditions after the restart?

Back