Swift Fuel Users Upper Midwest?

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
The last time the folks at Revolution Aviation (formerly Team Tango) used my plane at their booth in Oshkosh, they filled my aft tanks with it. It stinks and feels greasy. Other than that it seems to run great in my Tango. Didn't notice a difference.

I drained a few gallons of it and put it in my T-Craft. No issues noted there either.

I really wish they hadn't put a bunch of Swift Fuel stickers all over my Tango though. Those things did not come off easily. :mad3:

Burned about 1,000 gallons of the stuff in the last year. Zero issues.

Really not any different than burning mogas. You won't miss cleaning leaded plugs.

But what is it? Someone said it stinks and feels greasy. What are they putting in it?

All I know is it has no lead in it and it more dense than Avgas so it weighs more per gallon (in the same way diesel is that way vs auto gas).

I was told it is distilled more or less like 100LL without the lead. Unlike mogas, which varies considerably from region to region and season to season, UL94 is allegedly the same blend no matter where you are. I was told it will store for up to a year and it had the low gum rating of 100LL.
My selfish interest is I fly a Rotax so I can burn it without any paperwork. I don't want 100LL in my engine so it involves extra care and planning to make long trips without 100LL and Swift UL94 would expand my options.
I was not aware it is available in so many places around the upper midwest. Maybe some folks can try a tank on their way into Oshkosh. I'm definitely going to try some the next time I'm in the vicinity.

What does it cost?

How do its weight and performance compare to gas?

Haven't noticed any change in performance.

Cost of Swift UL94 is usually $0.30 to $0.50 more than prices for ethanol free mogas sold at airports. Usually mogas/UL94 is $0.80+/gal less than 100LL, at least around WI.

Here's what I've paid over the last couple of years on average for fuel. Most of the 100LL has been purchased at pricey airports where it's the only thing available, so that number is slightly inflated.
Code:
                       All Types    MOGAS UL91    Swift UL94   100LL
Average Per Gal:       $3.58        $3.01         $3.34         $4.60
% of total fuel purchased:          44%           26%           30%

Back