SVT

U

Unregistered

I am active duty USAF pilot who is in the process of transitioning to the next stage through retirement. I was recently diagnosed with SVT. I saw a cardiologist and had an echocardiogram and stress test that both came back clean. I had a 24 hour holter test that confirmed some short bursts of SVT, but no intervention to get it to go back to normal, and the longest recorded was about 9 seconds. The cardiologist said a beta-blocker might work or a catheter ablation would be my best option. I elected to have a catheter ablation to fix the problem. The electrophysiologist was unable to find a node or pathway to ablate, so the procedure did not fix anything. The USAF decided to physically disqualify my from flying duty. I have since started on a beta-blocker (25mg atenolol). I want to get a Class 1 physical, but would like some advice on what I am up against and what I need to have before going in to the AME. My research leads me to believe that this won't be a proble and I should be able to get a special issuance, but I want to avoid long delays as much as possible and have everything I need to help the process along as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Thanks for any advice that you can give.

Not the same guy. I must have been typing my post while he was posting his.

The atenol is approved for hypertension with a complete report on control from your treating physician. The arrythmia is a harder course. You'll most likely need the Holter, a full ECG workup, and perhaps a treadmill stress test. Again, I'd refer you to Doc Bruce's previous posting: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34657

Thanks Ron. I am not older or overweight, but I see several correlations with the post you linked to. I had a 24 hr holter that identified several very short "bursts" of SVT. They all self-regulated with no symptoms to me (dizziness, shortness of breath, etc). I had a clean echo cardiogram and passed a treadmill stress test with no problems. The technician did notice a few bursts of erratic heartrate (SVT) while monitoring the stress test, but again, they were very short and went back to normal with no intervention. I went in for a catheter ablation in an effort to keep flying for the USAF, but the electrocardiologist was unable to trigger an episode of SVT and could not find a node or pathway to ablate. Big Blue decided that I am no longer fit to fly for them, so I am hoping I can get a class I and start pursuing a commercial career. I have an appointment with my AME today, so I guess I'll find out if all of those tests are enough or if more will be required.

I have an appointment with my AME today, so I guess I'll find out if all of those tests are enough or if more will be required.
Hopefully for a consult, not a formal "for the record" exam. Once MedExpress goes live, the window to get whatever extra tests happen to be needed is usually narrower than the time required to set them up.

Not apples to apples but similar . . . .a good friend [now mid - fifties ] had a-Fib - he had a First Class and was employed by a major international airline. They tried the warfarin route but it kept breaking through so he got an ablation - and recovered his First Class within 6 months. Good ablation [and like Doc sez with an experienced operator] and a good cardio report is the key to recovering flying status . . ..

Not a pilot for big blue, but rather a Lt in Missile Ops Training, just found out via 24 hr holter monitor that I have SVT, they want to get more data with a few weeks monitoring. My question is would the AF have allowed you to stay on AD, provided you were in a non-rated billet? Just wondering where things are going from here...

Not a pilot for big blue, but rather a Lt in Missile Ops Training, just found out via 24 hr holter monitor that I have SVT, they want to get more data with a few weeks monitoring. My question is would the AF have allowed you to stay on AD, provided you were in a non-rated billet? Just wondering where things are going from here...
You'll get your best answer on that from the medical folks at your base hospital.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back