Suspicious Free Swag

HerrGruyere

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Pistol Pete
Hey all,

The other day, I got this really thick book in the mail that is a study guide for the private written exam. I have no recollection of ordering anything like this, and none of my friends/family have hinted at ordering it for me. They sent it to me with a letter and everything. I don't wanna use it because I'm afraid that I might owe them money if I scribble in it. It came from some place in Chicago.

Has anybody ever received anything similar or have stories of getting other suspicious free swag?

Scribble away. If you (or somebody else in your family) didn't order it, you don't have to return it. And if you decide to return it anyway, the scribbles don't matter.

Another angle. Was it sent registered or certified mail? If not, there is no proof of delivery. (Fedex (etc.) different story.) What book?

-Skip

Skip, remind me never to trust you...

Pete, call or write the people who sent it..

Man up here...
Does anyone have an integrity anymore? jeezzzzz

Anything sent to you by mail that you did not order is a gift. They cannot now turn around and bill you. That is the law. It was put into place to prevent the type of scam you are afraid of. I'm assuming it had your name on the address, not someone else's.

PS. I'm not a lawyer.

It just seems strange that I got it in the mail. I'm always suspicious of free things like this because there's always a catch.

Anything sent to you by mail that you did not order is a gift. They cannot now turn around and bill you. That is the law. It was put into place to prevent the type of scam you are afraid of. I'm assuming it had your name on the address, not someone else's.

PS. I'm not a lawyer.
This.

The fact that someone sent you something that you didn't order doesn't make you indebted to them, and it also doesn't mean you have to spend your time/money to return it. That used to be a popular scam years ago, before the internet made scamming much easier to do. It isn't as popular nowadays, but it still happens.

You, the consumer, may only legally be sent two types of merchandise through the mail without your consent or agreement:

• Free samples which are clearly and conspicuously marked as such.
  • Merchandise mailed by a charitable organization that is soliciting contributions.
And in these two cases, you can consider the merchandise a gift if you wish. In all other situations, it is illegal to send merchandise to someone, unless that person has previously ordered or requested it.
link: https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/...fraudschemes/othertypes/UnsolicitedFraud.aspx

It is not entirely unheard-of for someone who knows you, and knows that you are working on a rating, to make a gift of a study guide or other support material. Is it possible that this has occurred?

It has happened here, among these nice people...

I got one of those books a few months ago. Right in the trash it went. I think their marketing company was pulling data from the FAA on recent Student Pilot Certs issued and compiling their mailing list from that.

Think it's from American Flyers. It's a marketing tool (and actually not that bad of a book). Use it, they don't want any money from you for the book.

If it's from American Flyers, I got one, too. It's just a marketing gimmick to get you to go to their flight school. It's yours to do with what you wish.

Ah it is from American Flyers, I think. The book actually looks helpful; but, I will not move to Chicago to go to their flight school.

It is not entirely unheard-of for someone who knows you, and knows that you are working on a rating, to make a gift of a study guide or other support material. Is it possible that this has occurred?

It has happened here, among these nice people...

Nah nobody here has my address and I doubt anybody I know would know what to get me to help study.

The American Flyers books make great gifts to friends who are interested in pursuing aviation.

I got one in the mail last week as well. Just assumed they pulled my name off a list of student pilots somewhere. Actually used it to brush up on airspace requirements for my written.

Fear not the aviation swag, there is little enough of it you can bet it's mostly all marketing lol. Gleim used to send me freebies because I'd call them with corrections.

At least, it was something of potential use rather than the fifth notice you'd received from AOPA that your insurance(not with AOPA) is about to expire.

:eek:)

OMG I enjoy AOPA's periodicals, but cripes if I don't get spammed with crap I don't care about with them.

Hey all,

The other day, I got this really thick book in the mail that is a study guide for the private written exam. I have no recollection of ordering anything like this, and none of my friends/family have hinted at ordering it for me. They sent it to me with a letter and everything. I don't wanna use it because I'm afraid that I might owe them money if I scribble in it. It came from some place in Chicago.

Has anybody ever received anything similar or have stories of getting other suspicious free swag?

I got that same book in the mail as well. It looks like they are trying to sell more stuff for the PPL or advanced ratings. I had the same thought process as you "why did I get this? I don't remember ordering it..." I figured I'd use it as a quick review before I take my written. It couldn't hurt. :dunno:

I got a DVD on "Being a better pilot" once form AOPA. I thought someone was trying to tell me something, but evidentally I won it as a door prize from the open house.

I got a DVD on "Being a better pilot" once form AOPA. I thought someone was trying to tell me something, but evidentally I won it as a door prize from the open house.
Just out of curiosity.... How did you determine that it wasn't someone trying to tell you something?? :rolleyes:

OMG I enjoy AOPA's periodicals, but cripes if I don't get spammed with crap I don't care about with them.

Nope. It wasn't me who signed an anti-aviation NIMBY for a free subscription to FLIGHT TRAINING.

Must have been someone else.

Skip, remind me never to trust you...
No reason not to trust him, he just knows the law.
Does anyone have an integrity anymore?
Definitely not folks who try to scam through the mail. I remember when I was a kid, vacuum cleaner companies did this all the time. We got three...count 'em...three...free vacs in the mail in the late 60's...early 70's. We also got all sorts of threatening letters but Dad knew the law.

And in these two cases, you can consider the merchandise a gift if you wish. In all other situations, it is illegal to send merchandise to someone, unless that person has previously ordered or requested it.
The postal equivalent of "Did anyone you don't know put something in your luggage."I got a free video from the EAA. It was an advanced copy of a new educatioal series they were about to release. If I recall correctly, it was about $50 a disc.

Back