Suspicious crash

I see where you're coming from, believe me, I do, but that statistic - 1 in 9, is not really accurate. It neglects outside forces, like your pilot skills and your ability to avoid accident situations (it also includes passenger deaths).
Of course it does. Every pilot says they are different. But the statistics continue to build each year and the pilots continue to die. They aren't a guarantee and are by no means accurate. But they do help you measure risk.

That stat is like the one that says that ever 9 minutes someone dies from smoking. I don't honestly think that in 9 minutes, I could die because I smoke.
No. But if you take the number of people dieing and apply how much time we have in this world. It'll work out to about that I'm sure.

But I understand where you're coming from, and your attitude is commendable, striving to improve safety comes from within. Push for more rules to enforce it, and there will be fewer pilots and we'll eventually have no voice, versus having little voice.

Way too many general aviation pilots have themselves convinced that flying is so safe..Hell--It's safer than driving! It's foolish to think that and I know you are a pretty smart guy and I know you understand the risks just as well as I do. Airplanes will kill you quick--real quick. Respect that and you won't be a statistic.

There are pilots who fly over 50,000 hours in their career and don't get killed. Statistics are not rules. But they are good food for thought.

You've only known one person who has died? Wow.

Flying 3, Motorcycling 2, Cycling 1, Lobstering 2, Climbing 0.

People I knew in person?

Flying 0, Motorcycling 1, Suicide 2, Asthma 1 (age 16), other natural causes 4.

And that's everyone. You could say I've been lucky - But I don't count never knowing either of my grandfathers as "lucky." Excepting that, I have been lucky - Or I have no friends. :dunno:

Or I have no friends. :dunno:

47ug7xk.jpg

Removing the cheese hat would help you in that area... just for the record...

Still don't see HOW you can fly with that thing on...

Jesse - you are making the same mistake everyone makes when saying that GA is actually more dangerous:

Near every time one car touches another, it is reported as an accident for insurance purposes.

There are MANY, MANY instances where airplanes "crash" (ie, land off airport unintentionally) where it is not considered an accident.

If you include those in the reports, I suspect we'd find GA thousands of times safer than automobiles.

Look, it's just not true, aviation is considerably more dangerous than driving a car. If you believe differently then you are setting yourself up for a bad deal because you will become as lax with flying as with driving, and that will catch up & kill you.

Look, it's just not true, aviation is considerably more dangerous than driving a car. If you believe differently then you are setting yourself up for a bad deal because you will become as lax with flying as with driving, and that will catch up & kill you.

Yep. That was one of the points stressed when I took the Robinson factory safety course last summer. The chief instructor talked about flying into a wire between the hangars that he KNEW was there. Fortunately the helicopter was stronger than the wire, but he has a picture of the black streak the insulation made on the bubble. The aircraft, both fixed- and rotary wing tend to perform better than those of us who fly them...

...so he murdered his daughter.

His soul will be consumed by everlasting torment, killing an innocent like that.

Lord, lift her up...

My friend Spike thanks for saying what I was thinking. I was actually hoping that it is something stupid like buzzing the house to show his daughter grandma's house. The thought of anyone doing this on purpose makes me sick

Back