Surviving the post-crash

Allen C

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Allen C
AOPA had a recent article showing that while only a fraction of crashes are fatal, the highest mortality was within the first 24 hours AFTER the crash. They went on to cite several crash sites that indicate the pilot/passanger(s) survived impact relatively unharmed only to die from exposure.

So how do you “plan” for the crash?

The kind of plane I fly does not allow me to reach into the back seat for supplies. Once I close the lid everything I need better already be within arm’s reach. I read a report from a friend who hung upside down in his harness for 45 minutes waiting on a rescue. Because of a fuel smell he was not able to use the radios. He said that was the longest 45 minutes of his life.

1. I carry my cell phone on the inside pocket of my jacket.
2. A “Crash Kit” inspired my Steve Fossett stays in my plane. In it;
a. Space Blanket (Big shiny one)
b. Bulk Gauze
c. Duck Tape
d. 2 Lighters
e. Knife
f. Parachute Cord
g. Signaling mirror
3. Before takeoff I place my portable radio under my left armrest
4. I wear my EMS boots for every flight
5. I never takeoff with a less than 2 hours reserve in the tanks
6. I wear my old Nomax flight gloves

Things I plan to change:
1. I may dig out my old Nomax flight suit
2. I am looking into buying a flight helmet. My plane has a bubble style canopy and almost no head protection
3. Add PowerBars to my crash kit
4. Practice gliding and engine out maneuvers
The great thing about this community is the dissemination of information. Many on here have more hours in left hand turns than I have in my log, and several have bent a plane or two. So let’s hear it folks; how do you plan for the post crash?

I'd add one of these rescue hammers with a sharp carbide tip to your kit, especially since you fly a bubble canopy. Put it in one of your flight suit's pockets. Will let you cut your seatbelt straps more easily than with a knife, and break the windows/canopy. I've got one on board when I fly, in my headset bag in easy reach. It should be on my person, but I don't have a flight suit (yet).

ar002.jpg

EDIT: By the way, MythBusters did an episode on how to get out of a sinking car. This type of device was the only one they tried that was effective at rapidly breaking the window to extricate yourself. The one I have does not have a built in torch. I could see how the torch could be useful for creating a keep-warm fire or signal fire after the crash.

Last edited:
You are brilliant! We have had these on the ambulances for several years and I can attest to just how valuable they are. Why I have not thought of this before I will never know. :mad2:

One will be hard mounted in the front and rear cockpits by the end of the week.

Since I fly over water a fair amount I am more concerned w/ ditching. I carry a Marine grade bag that floats which contains wool blanket, flares, hat, gloves, water dye marker, tape streamer and a few other things. In addittion, I fly w/ 2- PFD CO2 activated vests w/ strobes. Most of my "water survival" items will double as useful land resources as well.

One perk of flying composites. "Your aircraft can act as a flotation device." :D

Hi

Some time ago, a team of ferry pilots miraculously survived after ditching near Greenland.

They had seconds to get out before the plane sank to the bottom of the ocean with all their survival gear...

It was a miracle that they were localized by a fishing vessel and were rescued before dying of exposure.

The lesson ? - DRESS FOR EGRESS !

You MUST wear a survival vest that contains the following items:

- Whistle (FOX 40 or Storm brands )
- Signaling Mirror (USAF type)
- Compass - waterproof (not a cheapo kind)
- BIC lighter in waterproof container
- weatherproof matches in plastic container
- waterproof aluminum LED torch light (remove batteries before stowing) with
spare batteries
- Survival sleeping bag (AMK Thermo Lite 2 Bivvy is highly recommended)
- Leatherman survival knife
- Survival flashing beacon (ACR type - replace lithium batteries every 2 years)
- PLB - 406MHz - ACR type
- Handheld aviation transceiver with spare battery
- Spare socks in airtight bag
- Chemical hand warmer packs (x4)
- Sturdy large garbage bag
- First aid kit (with blood stopper bandage and tourniquet)
- Survival drinking water bag ration x 2
- Inflatable life preserver (not automatic inflation !!! )

ALL items must be secured to the vest with parachute cord.

That's the minimum equipment you should wear at all times.

Optional equipment (survival candles, food, clothing, shovel, etc) can be carried in a waterproof bag (there is no absolute guarantee you will be able to retrieve that gear during an emergency situation).
I suggest you read the aviation section on the "Equipped to Survive" web site: http://www.equipped.org/avsrvtoc.htm

Happy New Year !

Last edited:
For anything more than pattern work I wear a fishing vest with various survival items including but not limited to:
-leatherman
-magneseum fire stick
-cotton balls in a film canister that have been soaked is vasoline
-power bars
-pocket first aid kit
-folding knife
-poncho
-silver blanket
-signal miror
-bug net
-500' of 550 cord
-bug spray and sunscreen
Still need to add portable radio and some sort of fire arm as long as I stay here in the great white north. Note all of the above items are what I keep on and lanyared to my person. The airplanes have thier own kits with sleeping bags, snowshoes, and other necesities in the baggage compartment.

preparedpilot.com

For XC, I wear the mesh-back vest with 406 PLB, cell phone, survival kit and strobe.

AOPA had a recent article showing that while only a fraction of crashes are fatal, the highest mortality was within the first 24 hours AFTER the crash. They went on to cite several crash sites that indicate the pilot/passanger(s) survived impact relatively unharmed only to die from exposure.

One word, SPOT. I have personally tested the 911 feature. It took them 2 mins, 10 seconds to call my cell phone. If I did not answer they would have escalated the search to include calling the local authorities and giving them my GPS coordinates. No more search, only rescue. You can also allow people to log on and watch your travel progress while flying / driving / hiking / whatever. SPOT actually gives them away at OSH if you buy a year's subscription. $150 for the unit and $150 / year for the service. Cheap.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

a. Space Blanket (Big shiny one)

Ever try to actually use one of those? Try it before you depend on it. Leave one folded up for a couple years then go out in windy 20F weather and try to use it. No heat retention and it shreds just by looking at it. In 2 minutes you'll be in your car on the way to get a real sleeping bag.

Generic minimum for anywhere I might get into trouble on the ground, water or in the air:
signal mirror
lighters and magneisum fire starter
vaseline soaked cotton balls
steel wool if a battery is available
14 or 16 gauge wire about 20ft long
Camp knife (I can literally punch through aircraft aluminum with it if necessary)
flashlight (crashproof LED and secondary batteries)
3 or 6 mil plastic paint sheet about 10'x10'
50ft of 3/8" rope
hiking boots
warm jacket, pants and gloves
rain gear
hat
0F sleeping bag
compass, map, pencil, paper
snacks (that won't freeze into steel or melt)
water
duct tape (replacing with gaffers tape soon)
towel
spool of fishing line and hooks
home made first aid kit
aviation radio with local enroute frequencies written down (even when solo backpacking)
airplane (there's lots of useful survival stuff in an airplane that you don't mind hacking up with a knife)
winter = day pack with minimal winter outdoor camping gear including my -50F parka
At some point, I intend to add an EPIRB that has GPS locating capability
Most importantly: Knowedge and experience to use all of the above stuff in a self rescue survival setting.

I've been solo backpacking and traveling alone forever so I plan on self rescue capability because that's likely to be my only way out most of the time. The rescue crew is totally useless until they're actually there helping me. Until they arrive I'm assuming they're not coming or will give up.

Whatever you carry, take just the clothes you're wearing, grab the emergency survival bag stuff and go camping for 2 nights in the conditions you're likely to get into trouble and see how it works under controlled conditions with no outside help at all.

Last edited:
Hi Frank

I totally agree with what you wrote about the "space blanket" - they're basically useless in survival situations.

The AMK Thermo Lite 2 Bivvy is a much better choice.

A SPOT, a sat phone, a good bottle of whiskey and a magazine is all you need.
If I’m flying over Alaska, I’ll add an Inuit.

One word, SPOT. I have personally tested the 911 feature. It took them 2 mins, 10 seconds to call my cell phone. If I did not answer they would have escalated the search to include calling the local authorities and giving them my GPS coordinates. No more search, only rescue. You can also allow people to log on and watch your travel progress while flying / driving / hiking / whatever. SPOT actually gives them away at OSH if you buy a year's subscription. $150 for the unit and $150 / year for the service. Cheap.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Where where you when you tried the SPOT?

Hi Frank

I totally agree with what you wrote about the "space blanket" - they're basically useless in survival situations.

The AMK Thermo Lite 2 Bivvy is a much better choice.

Space blankets - They're GREAT in space where radiation is the main method of heat transfer and there's no wind. They're not bad in the house either. Outside, not so much, but they do help if you're out of the wind (i.e. huddling inside your downed aircraft).

SPOT is something that I have been giving a lot of thought to getting. From what I have seen they seem to work pretty good, but have some issues if they do not have clear sky. That one defect kind of trumps the whole point of being down with a busted leg under trees.

However, you cannot plan for every situation. I guess you could initiate the SPOT as part of your ditching proceedure once committed.

Wow....I only take a 2 way trans w/ Nav capability, flashlight and cell phones. I'm feeling a bit left out here. I just wonder in a crash and post crash possible fire how much of this gear you could use unless it was on your person??

Wow....I only take a 2 way trans w/ Nav capability, flashlight and cell phones. I'm feeling a bit left out here. I just wonder in a crash and post crash possible fire how much of this gear you could use unless it was on your person??
You'd be surprised how much useful stuff you can fit in little space, without having to be "Survivorman". A vest or pockets with "must haves" and a small "run away" bag in the back seat will make a big difference.

If you're not interested in a vest, try a fanny pack. I keep matches, a candle, chapstick, couple powerbars, extra batteries (portable for the aircraft is AA), small first-aid kit, cell phone, wallet and cash. The knapsack is in the backseat if someone is in the right seat. They have instructions to immediately grab the bag (there's 3 handles on it). Otherwise it's on the seat next to me.

I'm not a solo camper or skier, and usually am flying with someone in the aircraft or in a group
of aircraft (and we stay in touch all the time). And, for the most part, I try to flight plan so that I'm always within 30 min of flying time to an airport (live out here in the Rocky Mountains). We learn really fast about emergencies and what can go wrong.

As for the SPOT- I'm more inclined to go with a conventional PLB such as one of the ACR units. Is it more expensive? At the beginning, yes. $500 but that's the only expense. With the SPOT, there's an annual fee (and very likely to increase). And what happens if the company goes out of business or gets taken over by another? Too many "ifs" for me.

Now that I have been flying for a couple years now the post crash kit idea is really starting to sink in. Its too bad CFI'S don't put more importance on the subject. I thought that if I was close to an airport that there was no need for a survivel kit. A few years ago two kids crashed in a canyon about 15 minutes from the airport.I took 38 hours to find them,with the passenger seriously injured and no jackets they are lucky to have survived. Might be sunny and nice at noon but it sure can get cold when the sun goes down. I recently flew over the mohave desert on a trip to bullhead city. I couldn't bring much(packed in a 152 with a passenger,their dog and luggage) but I made sure I brought warm clothes,plenty of water,a few MRE's, and a cell phone. Since I fly near the ocean a lot and due to the terrain the water might be a very possible place I would end up with and engine problem.Unlatching the belt can be tough when parked so I now carry seatbelt cutters with me, cheap item that could save a life. A month ago I had bad carb icing coming over the mountain and I thought I was going to end up in the drink,I made sure I had one and my passenger. Luckily it didn't come to that.:yikes:

avweb_logo.gif

clearpixel.gif

[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva]Post-Crash Care[/FONT]

March 10, 2008
byCarole Jewett
clearpixel.gif

[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva]
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva]About the Author ...[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva]Carole Jewett is a trauma nurse and Private pilot who trains pilots in wilderness first aid.[/FONT]
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva]Pyramid Of The Seven Gets[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva]As pilots, we literally live or die by our checklists. They serve as guidelines for what to do and when to do it in both normal and emergency operations. After a crash landing, you may need a first-aid checklist to use as a guide in caring for yourself and your passengers. The Pyramid of the Seven Gets illustrates your survival priorities:
first_aid_pyramid.jpg

1. Get Out: Get yourself and your passengers out of the airplane immediately. Don't presume there won't be a fire because you don't see or smell fuel. Grab a first-aid or survival kit only if they are within easy reach -- don't waste time looking.
2. Get Safe: Gather passengers at least 100 feet away from the wreckage. Wait at least 30 minutes before returning. Ensure the cockpit is well-ventilated before manipulating any electrical equipment, which may be uninsulated and create a spark.
3. Get Treatment: A first-aid kit is only as good as the person using it; you don't have to be a medical professional to handle injuries and illnesses in a wilderness setting.
4. Get Shelter: As soon as injuries are assessed and treated, get ready for the first night. Build a fire and gather items that can protect you from the weather.
5. Get Water: You will need water before you will need food. Assess your resources and remember you can survive for weeks without food, but you'll last only a few days without water.
6. Get Seen: Know how to use the signaling devices you carry in the plane, how to make them and how to attract passing planes and ground-rescue parties.
7. Get Home: No one survives a crash uninjured. Even if you walk away without a scratch, there will always be some emotional trauma. Know what to expect in feelings and behaviors as well as physical symptoms in the coming weeks and months.
[/FONT]
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva]First-Aid Kits Vs. Survival Kits[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva]When pilots think about how to equip their aircraft for emergencies, much of the thought goes into spare parts or tools needed to get back in the air from some dark and stormy ramp. Often, little thought goes into what should be in a first-aid or survival kit -- or the differences between them.
A first-aid kit should contain items chosen to treat the kinds of injuries expected and the expertise of the user. When putting together such a kit, go through the scenarios of the first hour after a crash and play the "what-if" game: What if you have broken bones, what will you need? What if I have burns, lacerations and/or dislocations? What equipment will I need and what could I improvise?
Then, extend the what-ifs to the following six hours, and then through the several days it may take in a remote area while awaiting rescue. For example, a pre-existing medical condition, personal medication, pain control, chronic illness and dehydration are some of the factors you may wish to consider in assembling a first-aid kit. A good starting point is to list the medical supplies you would need for two weeks in the wilderness, then make your selections based on anticipated needs, how large and heavy you can allow the kit to be, and how much you want to spend.
Some obvious items may include:
• Rubber or latex gloves
• Dressings to stop bleeding
• Cleansing agent/soap and antibiotic towelettes to disinfect
• Antibiotic/burn ointment to prevent infection
• Eyewash solution to use as a general decontaminant
• Prescription medications or supplies
• Tools (scissors, tweezers, etc.)
• Tube of petroleum jelly or other lubricant
• Pain relievers, anti-diarrhea medication, antacid and a laxative
A survival kit should be designed to consider the terrain and time of year. The bare minimums of a survival kit should be water (pack it in several small containers instead of one large one to reduce the chance of breakage during the crash), or a method of purifying or desalinating it. Other items include fire-starting materials, a metal container for drinking and to heat food/water, appropriate clothing, shelter equipment, signaling devices and marking material, a compact shovel, an all-purpose knife and packaged food. Remember: Anything you eat will require water to digest. The drier the food, the more water required during the digestive process.
Finally, be sure to keep these kits in a location where you can get to them as you evacuate the aircraft, like behind the front seats or within easy reach of your passengers.
[/FONT]
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva]The Pilot's Leadership Role[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva]We usually don't think too much about what kind of leadership skills we need to manage passengers in an emergency. Thankfully, most of us flying personal aircraft seldom take more than two or three passengers along on our cross-country flights. But, if a pilot has to put down in a hostile environment with injured passengers as a result and there is no hope of rescue for several days, you can bet that some leadership skills will be needed.
Some of the passengers will look to the pilot-in-command as the the person who will get them home safely. Of course, they may instead look at the pilot as the one who got them into this mess. How you handle the various personalities, egos, fears and opinions will depend on your own leadership and interpersonal skills. Depending on the circumstances, you may want to delegate leadership to someone -- if you're "lucky" enough to have an emergency-room physician aboard when you crash, for example -- but the group should never be left leaderless.
[/FONT]
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif
clearpixel.gif

This article originally appeared in Aviation Safety, Sep. 2005.

safety64.gif

Safety
clearpixel.gif

[SIZE=+2]A
small plane crashes in a remote area, with no hope of rescue for several days. The survivors know basic survival techniques but have only rudimentary first-aid skills. How does the pilot-in-command sort, assess and treat injuries when the first-aid kit just went up in smoke? What kind of leadership qualities will that person need? What ethical dilemmas will the leader likely face during the ordeal? A pilot who crashes in a remote area must be prepared to provide pre-hospital care without support from or contact with a physician.
There are many books and training programs about survival after a small-plane crash landing ... how to find water, how to prepare a shelter, build a fire or signal for rescue. But one aspect of survival frequently overlooked is first aid in a remote and hostile environment. This type of first aid involves assessing and treating injuries to you and your passengers -- possibly for an extended period -- while awaiting rescue. While this article alone won't accomplish that goal, it will at least demonstrate the need for training and provide some ideas on how pilots can prepare and equip themselves.

Assessing Injuries

aerostar_crash.jpg

Now what? First order of business is to get out of the plane. After that? See "Pyramid Of The Seven Gets" at right.
clearpixel.gif

Any assessment of injuries must begin with the basics, conveniently known as the ABCs -- for airway, breathing and circulation. Using this "checklist," we assess and fix any immediate, life-threatening injury. Examples can include a closed or compromised airway, ensuring the victim is breathing and has a heartbeat, and is not hemorrhaging.
Once the three items on this checklist are complete, we move on to a more thorough assessment of the victim's injuries. Paramount in this process is being mindful of the potential for spinal injury: Keep the victim as motionless as possible throughout the examination until you are certain no spinal-cord injury exists. Try to keep the victim's head aligned with the midline of his or her body at all times.
Start at the top of the victim's head and work your way down, using both hands, looking at and feeling the body. One of the things you're doing here is looking for blood. Carefully move the flat of your hand under the neck, back, buttocks and legs, frequently checking your hand for blood. Keep in mind the old truism from emergency rooms that the worst injury will be in an area of the body least exposed.
Move all the way to the victim's toes. If your examination finds blood at any point, stop and expose the skin whenever possible, preferably by removing clothes, not cutting them. If you must cut the clothing, tape them back together after the exam to retain warmth. (You do have a roll of duct tape in your airplane's equipment, right?) Generally, I recommend leaving footwear on the feet; once removed, they will be difficult to replace due to swelling. Also, if there is a fracture, the shoe or boot will serve as a splint.
This part of the assessment is not "stop and fix"; if you discover a fracture or laceration but it's not hemorrhaging, don't stop. Continue with the exam until you have inspected the entire body -- there may be something critical just beyond the next joint.
Now that the top-to-bottom examination is complete, it's a good time to try to get some medical history: Does the victim need any personal medications for conditions like diabetes, angina or seizures? Were the medications aboard the plane and can they be retrieved? It might be a good idea to learn about any such conditions among your passengers before taking them on a cross-country flight.

Triage And Treatment

first-aid-kit.jpg

Do you know what you need in a first-aid kit after an aircraft accident? (See "First-Aid Kits Vs. Survival Kits" at right.)
clearpixel.gif

You have three passengers. You managed to get everyone to safety, despite a severe gash on your upper leg that is bleeding heavily. Your co-pilot is unconscious and bleeding from a scalp wound. An elderly passenger is gasping for breath and rubbing his left arm. His wife is sitting on the ground, clutching her elbow and screaming, "I'm hurt, I'm hurt!" Whom do you treat first?
Triage, a French word that means "screening," has become associated with the sorting and allocating of medical care in the field, based on need and the available resources. In this case, a primary resource is the caregiver's knowledge and ability to treat others.
There are several types of sorting categories, depending on the medical facility or group performing triage. For our purposes, however, there are only three: immediate (for the life-threatening injuries); later (for broken bones and lacerations); and last (for everyone else). Remember: You cannot treat and take care of your passengers if you are suffering from life-threatening injuries yourself. So ... who gets treated first? That's right: You do. Then, you attend to the head injury, the possible heart attack and, last, the hysterical woman with a possible dislocated elbow.
One tool we can use to help decide who needs what and when is taking the victim's vital signs. These include the rate and quality of the heartbeat and respirations, the temperature and color of the skin, and the relative size of the eyes' pupils. Together, these vital signs can be thought of as the body's "engine instruments" and should be used to help us decide if the victim is going into shock, or if the airway or lungs have been compromised.
But the most important "instrument" of all is the level of consciousness, or LOC. The LOC can be evaluated by determining if the person is alert and oriented to time and place, only responds to voice, only responds to pain, or does not respond at all.
Another technique worth mentioning is "clearing" the spine. In urban first aid, we expect an ambulance to arrive within 10 to 20 minutes, and we're taught to keep the victim's head and neck immobilized and wait for the paramedics. In wilderness first aid, it may be days before rescue and you won't want to completely immobilize someone if they don't need it. So, you'll need to conduct a more formal spinal assessment, one based on evaluating neurological function, which will tell you if a victim's spinal cord has been injured.
The examination used to "clear" the spine asks questions such as: Was the injury severe? Is the victim sober? Is the victim distracted from your questions and probing by pain or emotional distress? Is there pain, tingling or numbness in the extremities? Is there pain or tenderness when you touch along the spine? Can the victim move his/her head without pain?
If they pass this exam, they can get up and move around as well as they can tolerate. If not, keep them immobilized.

In-Flight Emergencies

What constitutes an in-flight medical emergency, and what can you do to help while maintaining control of the aircraft? The answers depend on what's going on with the patient, but any situation becomes an emergency when the person becomes confused, lethargic or unconscious. Other signs of a medical emergency can include sudden and severe pain, shortness of breath, sudden weakness, difficulty in speech or a seizure.
The first thing to do should be obvious: Fly the airplane! Next, ensure the distressed passenger can't interfere with the controls. Engage the autopilot and move the passenger seat back; if necessary, manipulate the seat adjustment lever, pitch the airplane up and let gravity do the work. If the passenger is unconscious, lower the seat back no more than 45 degrees while ensuring the head is supported and there is an adequate airway. Of course, if there are other passengers who can help, let them help stabilize the patient while you concentrate on flying the airplane.
If there are no other passengers aboard who can help, do not try performing CPR, even with the autopilot engaged -- you'll be wasting precious time. Instead, concentrate on declaring an emergency and making sure ATC knows you'll need an ambulance on landing. If you beat the ambulance to the airport, don't wait for it before starting CPR.
Once on the ground, pull off the runway onto grass or a taxiway, shut down, pull the passenger out of the airplane and onto the ground, assess the ABCs discussed earlier and perform CPR as necessary. Let the ambulance come to you. While waiting on an ambulance and if the airplane is equipped with oxygen and the patient is conscious, administer O2 to the patient until help arrives.

Ethical Dilemmas

pilot_and_passengers.jpg

Should the pilot-in-command make all the decisions? Is the PIC responsible if something goes wrong? (See "The Pilot's Leadership Role" at right.)
clearpixel.gif

Ethical dilemmas in medical care traditionally apply only to health care professionals. However, many of the same issues can arise in the wilderness setting for someone who is called upon to administer first aid without benefit of medical training, advice, guidance or equipment. The combination of limited skills, limited resources and the likelihood of a prolonged delay before rescue brings up several considerations.
For example, the decision of what goes into your first-aid kit, how well-trained you are to use it, and how well you can improvise with the resources available determines the limits on treatment you are willing to accept for yourself and your passengers. On the other hand, no matter what first-aid supplies you carry or how well trained you are, limits to available care still exist. So, just as you should do when making decisions when airborne, know your limitations. An untrained person's capabilities and their decision-making abilities will vary widely.
The responder must weigh the chance of performing a procedure that may benefit the patient against the possibility of doing further harm. Sometimes, the person feeling responsible for the others may take steps that will place the survivors at further risk. For example, do you abandon your passengers to go in search of food, water or rescuers, or stay, knowing that a potential rescue may be delayed? What if you are the only one with first-aid or survival skills? Of course, there are no easy answers to these questions, only more questions.

Conclusion

This article is by no means a complete course in wilderness first aid. For that, you'll need to sign up with a local ski, climbing or hiking club, as one example. Meanwhile, think about what equipment you want to carry and play the "what-if" game on every flight.
And while the unthinkable may never happen to you, it's best to ask yourself these kinds of questions in advance and think through the consequences of your actions at least once. Then, if the unthinkable does happen, you will have desensitized yourself to the very real chaos of a life-threatening emergency. And that just might give you an edge on living through this emergency to fly again.
Wilderness survival is very much like getting to Carnegie Hall -- it takes practice.

More AVweb safety articles are available here. And for monthly articles about safety, including accident reports like this one, subscribe to AVweb's sister publication, Aviation Safety.

clearpixel.gif

[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva]Copyright Aviation Publishing Group. All rights reserved[/FONT]​
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Where where you when you tried the SPOT?

Tim, I have no personal experience, but CarrolAnn Garrett used it on her recent trip around the world.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/...d=105179232023010507885.00045d1f00ab811bf4386

Zoom way out and you can see it tracked her fine even across the oceans. While the page now just shows some intermediate waypoints, I was watching the site during her trip, and every 30 minutes or so she'd "blip" a point on the map.

I have a friend that used the SPOT device. The only way that I knew that his plane bounced off the side of a mountain (no significant injuries, plane totaled) was that I stopped getting the cool emails.

I have not asked him if he activated the "emergency" feature or not. My guess is NOT due to the asymmetrical flap extension happening suddenly.

--Matt Rogers

Survivorman is doing his Winter Plane Crash episode on Science Channel tonight and the airplane he is using as a resource for survival is a prop from a real life fatality (ok that is an oxymoron). The plane was involved in a double fatality in 1999 (N62041) flown by a German pilot with a US certificate in Ontario.

Edit found it: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20001212X18960&ntsbno=CHI99WA194&akey=1

This is a very good thread, but in order to add a little levity to this serious topic, I thought you'd enjoy this Monty Python skit. For those of us old enough to see this the first time around, it's a classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFDgSKbapzY

Enjoy! (The good part starts around 1:30 if you don't want to wait for the punchline)

Someone probably said it above but anything you aren't wearing on your body at the time the emergency begins is camping gear, not survival gear. Many many many people never get the chance to retrieve the ammo can or survival kit, dry bag etc. before the plane sinks or burns.

Around here a lot of the emergency landing spots are rivers or lakes. Quite often it is a choice of that or flying it into the trees. Starting last year I now wear my inflatable survival vest on all trips. It has all my stuff including many of the items listed above and a GPS PLB in the pockets anyway. I got mine from prepared pilot dot com.
SurvivalVest.jpg

That advice isn't applicable to everyone but it is something to think about when flying over heavily wooded terrain with a river or ponds nearby.

I suppose I could go on about helmets, since head injuries kill a lot of victims of crashes that might, might just be otherwise survivable, but based on previous discussions on pilot web boards I would be wasting my (fingers.) I don't always wear them either except in helicopters - depends on where I am going and what I am doing. Those of you flying older airplanes should at least get shoulder harnesses - they will save your life or at the very least a lot of surgeon bills, and you DO know that you do not need a basis of approval (other than an airframe logbook entry) to install them, right?

Last edited:
I'd add one of these rescue hammers with a sharp carbide tip to your kit, especially since you fly a bubble canopy. Put it in one of your flight suit's pockets. Will let you cut your seatbelt straps more easily than with a knife, and break the windows/canopy. I've got one on board when I fly, in my headset bag in easy reach. It should be on my person, but I don't have a flight suit (yet).

ar002.jpg

EDIT: By the way, MythBusters did an episode on how to get out of a sinking car. This type of device was the only one they tried that was effective at rapidly breaking the window to extricate yourself. The one I have does not have a built in torch. I could see how the torch could be useful for creating a keep-warm fire or signal fire after the crash.

I know from first-hand experience how well glass-breakers work on auto side windows. You can also crack the glass on a windshield with one, but you usually need to saw the windshield or pry the windshield out mechanically. Will the life hammer even work effectively on Plexiglas?

I've never had reason to try one on Plexiglas, but my initlal thought is that they won't work like they do on side window glass in cars.

I just looked at the website for the Life Hammer, www.lifehammer.com. In the FAQ's it says that the life hammer is designed for auto side windows and it won't work well on windshields (laminate glass). If they won't work well on laminate glass, I don't think it will work on Plexiglas. A quick Google search did not get me any good answers on that.

I don't know if any aircraft use actual tempered glass or if they are all plexiglas like the ones I have flown.

This is just just something to consider when making purchasing decisions on your survival gear. There is no sense in packing a tool expecting it to immediately clear a window for you when needed only to find out at the worst possible time that it won't do the job.

I'm guessing they are using the King's English meaning of the word torch a.k.a. flashlight. In the American version of some of the Clymer manuals, they have a brief glossary of British/American terms (Boot = Trunk, Torch = Flashlight etc.) I'm guessing it's really important to know the difference when looking into your gas tank with a torch :yikes:

I know from first-hand experience how well glass-breakers work on auto side windows. You can also crack the glass on a windshield with one, but you usually need to saw the windshield or pry the windshield out mechanically. Will the life hammer even work effectively on Plexiglas?

I've never had reason to try one on Plexiglas, but my initlal thought is that they won't work like they do on side window glass in cars.

I just looked at the website for the Life Hammer, www.lifehammer.com. In the FAQ's it says that the life hammer is designed for auto side windows and it won't work well on windshields (laminate glass). If they won't work well on laminate glass, I don't think it will work on Plexiglas. A quick Google search did not get me any good answers on that.

I don't know if any aircraft use actual tempered glass or if they are all plexiglas like the ones I have flown.

This is just just something to consider when making purchasing decisions on your survival gear. There is no sense in packing a tool expecting it to immediately clear a window for you when needed only to find out at the worst possible time that it won't do the job.

A lifehammer would be useless in a plane IMO, except for the seatbelt cutter. For airplane windows you have two choices: kick it out, or saw through it with a serrated knife or sawblade.

This little tool has a combination of plexiglass/glass saw and seatbelt cutter, even though the serrated blade is awfully short to do much plexiglass cutting.

http://galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=KN419&cat=2939

- First aid kit (with blood stopper bandage and tourniquet)

From what I have been hearing from some friends in the field, QuikClot Combat Gauze is one of the preferred bandages in the military and SOF circles these days as a result of their efficacy. They are around $35 each from the supplier I have worked with and have a "use by" life of approximately 3 years.

A lifehammer would be useless in a plane IMO, except for the seatbelt cutter. For airplane windows you have two choices: kick it out, or saw through it with a serrated knife or sawblade.

This little tool has a combination of plexiglass/glass saw and seatbelt cutter, even though the serrated blade is awfully short to do much plexiglass cutting.

http://galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=KN419&cat=2939

Aren't Cirrus equiped with a crash hammer, in case the aircraft becomes inverted and the doors don't open? I've only flown one, and the pilot's console had a crash hammer in it, so I presumed it was standard issue.

I don't know. But window punches or hammers are only good for tempered glass as Crashaxe wrote above, not Plexiglass or even laminate glass such as your car's front windshield. For that you need a real axe or hatchet, or a saw. I would trust my elbow more than a hammer, but I was writing my comments thinking about most spamcans. Does a Cirrus use tempered glass?

The crash hammer is in the car. For the cherokee, a 3 D battery Mag flashlight will definitely take out the side windows - probably even the windshield...The fire extinguisher will work just as well on the windows. Altho Alton Brown considers the fire extinguisher a mono-tasker item in the kitchen, it's a multi-tasker in the airplane.

I used to stress about this quite a bit until I started looking out the window and at the ground. It is a rare thing indeed that I am out of sight of roads and/or buildings. If I should ever have to make an emergency landing I'll head toward one of those. I do stash a tent and sleeping bag in the back in the winter, since you can easily freeze to death before anyone gets there. Were I flying the remote stretches of the West or Alaska I would give this a lot more thought.

As far as busting the windows out, I'm fairly certain I can do it with my feet (its how my mechanic does it). Granted, that won't work if my legs are so busted that I can't use the feet dangling off their ends, but if I'm that banged up I probably wouldn't be able to use the hammer I routinely schlep around either.

This is all I've ever needed:

1 .45 automatic.
2 boxes of ammunition.
4 days' concentrated emergency rations.
1 drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills.
1 miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible.
100 dollars in rubles.
100 dollars in gold.
9 packs of chewing gum.
1 issue of prophylactics.
3 lipsticks.
3 pairs of nylon stockings.

Heck a guy could have himself a pretty good time in Vegas with that stuff....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back