Survival Game

Danos

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
i And I Survive
I've been thinking a lot about wilderness survival so I thoung I'd start a lil game. You're lost in the wilderness and have only one random object. When an item is named the next person to post has to think of an interesting practical use for it. Try to avoid the obvious. (If someone says "paper-clip" don't say "You can use it to hold papers together." We all know that.
tongue.gif
.) After you post a new use or uses for an item, then you get to name the next item.

Ex.
Paper clip
fishing hook, sharpened could remove spilters, pop blisters, etc.

Don't worry about reposting uses for different things, however, don't post the same object twice.

Ill start, A metal ruler

Metal Ruler= sharpened on a rock = used for defence against wild animals.
Dave G

P.S. hey danos this could get real interesting.Thanks

Better tear a piece of your shirt off or or find something and tie that shiv to the end of a sturdy branch before using it as a defense item.

A camera.

Do a quick TSD calculation to determine if you made it farther into the woods before you crashed than you did last year.

Crescent wrench.

You can short circuit it and use the batteries and wiring to start a fire.

Metal "old school" E6B.

Crescent wrench.
Used to smash your thumb while attempting to open a coconut.

oops - forgot to add the next "tool" (that would be your local politician, no wait, that's SZ) ...

Necktie

Last edited:
A deck of cards---You'll be rescued almost immediately.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

Start playing solitaire and within a minute or two someone will show up and say "The black 5 will go in the red 6":D

Glass jar, used to caputre condensation to provide water to drink or you could ruin it and break it to create a sharp edge for using as a cutting tool, magnifier etc.

How about a cell phone :rolleyes:

How about a cell phone :rolleyes:

No cell service in the "wild" away from highways. Use your inner McGuyver to combine with random items in your pockets. Call for help from your newly modified satellite phone/gps/ELT. :rolleyes:

empty soda can.

No cell service in the "wild" away from highways. Use your inner McGuyver to combine with random items in your pockets. Call for help from your newly modified satellite phone/gps/ELT. :rolleyes:

empty soda can.

Cut in half (you did bring a camping knife or multitool, right?), and use the bottom half to collect/drink/boil water, use the top part as a signal mirror (better than nothing).

...sectional chart...

...sectional chart...[/quote]

crumle and uncrumple it repeatedly to soften it and then use for hygenic purposes.

spark plug
________
MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited:
Cell phone => Hilton => Reservations

Cut in half (you did bring a camping knife or multitool, right?), and use the bottom half to collect/drink/boil water, use the top part as a signal mirror (better than nothing).

...sectional chart...

Theoretically you can polish the concave bottom to make a magnifier that can start a fire with sunlight. The Mythbusters tried it with no success.

Theoretically you can polish the concave bottom to make a magnifier that can start a fire with sunlight. The Mythbusters tried it with no success.

I may be wrong, but I think "Survivorman" got it to work. IIRC, he used a chocolate bar to polish the bottom of the can.

empty soda can.

Actually it was a serious item- Uses: Use as flashlight. Use to attact big juicy bugs at night to eat get protein and nourishment, Battery to start fire. Climb to top of tree or hill and make repeated 911 calls even a very weak signal can be triangulated. Thats how they found that Silicon valley exec who froze to death somewhere in the NW wilderness two years ago when stuck in snow with his young family ( he wandered off to get help and froze his family survived)

Knife

A knife can be used to pry, fix, open, trim, peel, and start a fire.

FWIW, Survivorman spends alot of time looking for food, but the reality for most (not all!) lower 48 survival situations is that food is low on the priority list.

Signal, Shelter, and water should be top priority.

Checklist.

Actually it was a serious item- Uses: Use as flashlight. Use to attact big juicy bugs at night to eat get protein and nourishment, Battery to start fire. Climb to top of tree or hill and make repeated 911 calls even a very weak signal can be triangulated. Thats how they found that Silicon valley exec who froze to death somewhere in the NW wilderness two years ago when stuck in snow with his young family ( he wandered off to get help and froze his family survived)

Actually I'll chime in here in case any of you ever find yourself in this situation: most phones can text message when either signal strength or battery power is insufficient to support voice. Sometimes even if your phone is indicating "no signal" reception may be sufficient to send a text. Texting also requires much less energy than voice - thus over a matter of hours giving info to rescuers you can conserve battery strength.

If you ever find yourself in a survival situation I recommend text messaging if you can. The problem is you can't "text" 911. But you can text your wife/friend/coworker and have them relay information. Savvy rescuers will then set up a cell phone to communicate with you directly.

Last edited:
bagpipes can be used to lure sheep closer, for whatever purposes the strandee requires. :eek:

More importantly, it's a visual signal device as it is easily picked on night vision. This assumes SAR is in the area but can't see you among the brush. I've actually used it to flag down the fire department at a park once (fire was below the ridge and not visible).

I've tried the cellphone as a flashlight thing and it seems to be very short ranged. It's a slow walk when trying to avoid critters, nest, & gopher holes. BTDT.

More importantly, it's a visual signal device as it is easily picked on night vision. This assumes SAR is in the area but can't see you among the brush. I've actually used it to flag down the fire department at a park once (fire was below the ridge and not visible).

I've tried the cellphone as a flashlight thing and it seems to be very short ranged. It's a slow walk when trying to avoid critters, nest, & gopher holes. BTDT.

Along those lines and a bit of thread hijack I recall the Gilligan's Island episode where a huge under seaTelephone cable washed up in the lagoon. The professor came to the brilliant conclusion that could use it to call for help then he thought if they cut into the cable and cut some of the internal wires then the phone company would have to come out there to fix it and thus they would be rescued. Gilligan screwed that up and taped over the cut or something and the cable washed a way in the next storm that by the way was season 2 episode 17

He wasn't an exec. He was a TV journalist.

If you ever find yourself in a survival situation I recommend text messaging if you can. The problem is you can't "text" 911.

Funny you mention this! You give me a perfect "in" to present an article I stumbled upon just last week from Positron, one of the major manufacturers / suppliers of 911 center equipment. They just launched the first "text 9-1-1" service at an Iowa 9-1-1 call center:

http://www.positron911.com/news/090609.asp

If it works as planned, I would expect we'll see this nationwide within the next few years.

I may be wrong, but I think "Survivorman" got it to work. IIRC, he used a chocolate bar to polish the bottom of the can.

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/cokeandchocolatebar/

They're saying the Mythbusters did get it to work. You just need to go to the store and buy a dark chocolate candy bar. :dunno:

Exec-gator food
Journalist-seconds
a ladder

A ladder can be used for:
  • Main beam for your shelter
  • As a bridge (if you want to drag it along and if the terrain warrents it)
  • Easier to climb small cliffs and trees with a ladder
Next item: pen

A ladder can be used for:
  • Main beam for your shelter
  • As a bridge (if you want to drag it along and if the terrain warrents it)
  • Easier to climb small cliffs and trees with a ladder
Next item: pen

Cut a slot in it and make a safety whistle. Could also be used as a bobber for fishing if it was a light plastic model.

bicycle minus the wheels.

bicycle minus the wheels.

Hook the chain to the generator (This requires an old plane without an alternator) and power your radio by pedaling the bike.

Ok My turn...

Signed picture of Martha King :yikes:

Hook the chain to the generator (This requires an old plane without an alternator) and power your radio by pedaling the bike.

Ok My turn...

Signed picture of Martha King :yikes:

My first answer would not be allowed on a child friendly forum. :rofl:

Put it up outside your tent to scare away wildlife?????

A weed whip.

Back