survival equipment

What Survial Gear do you take flying?

• NONE (It won't happen to me)

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Water

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • Backpack with essentials (food, water, lighter, blanket etc.)

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • All the bells and whistles I can muster (within w&b)

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters
I take the minimum needed to support all pax for 2 days in survival not comfort mode. Equipment varies according to season and geography, e.g. sleeping bags in winter, more water over the summer desert.

Short flights over populated areas, the big pack stays home. I have a few things in my flight bag for those flights.

Eric

maximus said:
Just wondering what sort of survival equipment everyone flies with.

Well, that pretty much depends on where and what I'm flying. If it's a spray job, then just me and a Platte chart. Any normal flight regardless of terrain or duration, along comes my tool box and all the trinkets it's accumulated over the years (spare points, condensors, spark plugs, AN cap fittings and plugs, misc fasteners...). Add time over remote areas, food, water and a sleeping bag. Add wilderness really remote and we add the tent and some spare clothes and a coat with warm & rugged foot gear as well as the ol Berretta mdl 96 and a box of ammo and maybe the .300 mag Winchester and my old Tinder Box for fire starting as well as always having a couple lighters. For any extended overwater, I'm in my Gumby Suit to the waist as well as having a good Type I PFD, a hand held Marine VHF, 406 GPIRB, a SART and a SOLAS packed liferaft. Mind you, this all is for extended overwater and typically cold water. For quick Bahamas runs, just the PFD, VHF, SART and GPIRB. Oh yeah, a bottle of rum for whomever picks me up. If I don't need it, I can always drink it later.:cheerio:

406 EPIRB. Basic medical. 8 liter empty bag with PUR purifier. Add 5 gal water jug (plastic, flexible) filled if over desert. Space blankets. 100 feet of 3/16" New England Braid. Bandages. Signal Mirror. #600 steel wool. Fresh 9V battery. Cyalume sticks. 4" general purpose knife. Double penlight sealed self contained hand strobe. All in a West Marine Wet Box.

Over the areas that I fly, I don't need much at all. However I always have my handheld Com and sometimes the handheld GPS.

Here's what I took to Alaska
kit

Ordinarily I carry only some water, a Leatherman, signal mirror, one of those aluminum blankets, backup glasses and sunglasses, money, credit cards, cellphone. It really does depend on where I am flying. Of course my flight bag with all my charts and stuff plus a handheld GPS and a handheld nav/comm.

Generally a small toolbox and a big wad of cash will handle most situations!!

Gary

I carry what's appropriate to the flight. Around the patch in mid summer is me and the plane. Isolated areas XC, I dig into my backpacking equipment. In winter I take the cold weather gear.

Fire capability, water, food if needed (or ways to get it), overnight capability, always an adequate jacket. Been known to throw the entire backpack in. Always someone beyond FSS/ATC knowing my flight plan that I know will throw a fit and not take no for an answer to call out the calvary if they can't find me after a reasonable amount of time.

I have always believed in self rescue planning cause you can't depend on help until they actually show up.

Last edited:
A survival expert gave us a talk. He said most people they rescue or find dead were suffering/dead mostly from exposure and/or dehydration. All the goodies listed were fine but if you only think to take a couple things... bring clothing/bedding/shelter and water (several small bottles, not one big jug)

Let'sgoflying! said:
A survival expert gave us a talk. He said most people they rescue or find dead were suffering/dead mostly from exposure and/or dehydration. All the goodies listed were fine but if you only think to take a couple things... bring clothing/bedding/shelter and water (several small bottles, not one big jug)

And that doesn't have to weigh much or take up much room. I've been motorcycle camping for years, and my tent, therma-rest, sleeping bag, and ground cloth packed in a dry bag weight maybe 10lbs. That, water, and some power bars or such can keep you going for a while.

Someone makes a really cool hanging hammock type sleeping bag that would work great in a wooded area, I need to google some and find the maker.

gibbons said:
Nothing?

Chip

I guess my link didn't work the way I thought it would. Sorry.

I'll send you an email with the .doc as an attachment. If anyone else wants it let me know.

Let'sgoflying! said:

Good point. I kept within arms' reach water, food, emergency first aid items, and things I might need for signaling and communication just in case something on my body was broken.

We carry life raft and preservers for 4. Clothing to fit the needs of the trip. Food and water. signal mirrors, A good first aid kit. light weight bedding and shelter. Flares and matches in a waterproof container. When flying, the survival kit is position to be reached by passengers or when I fly alone I have it close at hand. I know it won't do any good if it is in the baggage compartment when you need it most.

John J

Anthony said:
Ha! That's funny Gary, especially when most of your flying is over the Main Line. :)

Here's a link to a good site for suggested survival kit contents.

http://www.survival-center.com/dl-list/dl23-dtm.htm

Another good site for survival gear and opinions is:

www.equipped.com

I make sure my pocket survival kit is in one pocket, and the charged cell phone in the other. A good lockback knife is in its holster on my belt. The rest packed within reach.

bbchien said:
406 EPIRB. Basic medical. 8 liter empty bag with PUR purifier. Add 5 gal water jug (plastic, flexible) filled if over desert. Space blankets. 100 feet of 3/16" New England Braid. Bandages. Signal Mirror. #600 steel wool. Fresh 9V battery. Cyalume sticks. 4" general purpose knife. Double penlight sealed self contained hand strobe. All in a West Marine Wet Box.

Bruce, What's the steel wool for?:confused:

Keith Lane said:
Bruce, What's the steel wool for?:confused:

That, and a 9volt battery, can be a firestarter. Short strands of the wool on the battery terminals, and they get very hot and glow very brightly.

Used to use this trick back when I was a boy scout.

Not much -- an R22 doesn't have much room for anything. Now if I could afford a turbine... Or even the Jet-A to run one...

AirBaker said:
Over the areas that I fly, I don't need much at all. However I always have my handheld Com and sometimes the handheld GPS.

I Follow Roads, and the cops/ first responders will bring me every thing I need.

Bill Jennings said:
That, and a 9volt battery, can be a firestarter. Short strands of the wool on the battery terminals, and they get very hot and glow very brightly.

It works better when you soak it in 100LL first.

Bill Jennings said:

It's worth the risk of repitition to remind to keep terminals safely and well insulated while in flight bags for fire risk...

maximus said:
Just wondering what sort of survival equipment everyone flies with.

The higher the latitude & lower population & lower temperatures enroute, the more stuff.

In addition to the obvious basics when flying above the 50th (The Line) our friendly neighbors the Canucks actually REQUIRE animal snares, 24+" axe, fishing line/hooks flares, snowshoes for snow country and highly recommend firearms.

All good ideas.

I have an old antique laptop bag on the back seat that has a Halon fire extinguisher, fire hood, space blankets, lotsa AA batteries, ... I have an 406 EPIB with GPS interface, ironically I won at the Doug Ritter of http://www.survived.org presentation of at Oshkosh.

I have a handheld Yeasu with one button 121.5 in my flight bag. I have the Robo-whatever escape scissors attached to the floor.

I need remind myself to make up a new high visibility bag (the one I use is black) with water, bandages, steel wool, etc. I could carry a full case of water in the baggage area which would serve to require a little less fuel wasting downforce from the stabilator.

Dave Krall CFII said:
It's worth the risk of repitition to remind to keep terminals safely and well insulated while in flight bags for fire risk...

Firestarter kit:
9V battery (capped securely and kept very separately - like totally insulated and sealed on the opposite side of the grab bag)
matches
flint and steel
steel wool
idiot simple candle
vaseline + cotton balls = slow established burn instead of woosh!!-now-ya-gotta-start-all-over-dang-it

If it is a day summer trip I take 4 bottles of water (for every passanger), a transciver, lighter, Long pair paints, Knife, 3 triangle bandages, a tarp, and some energy bars.

If the temp gets bellow 50 I also bring a blanket and Jacket.

If temp is below 30 I pull out my mummy bag.:dance: (Warm stuff)

Ha! Anthony if Gary is flying over the Main Line his survival equipment should include a squash raquet, a sand wedge and a membership card to the Union League:rofl:

Dave and Bruce bring up a good point about battery terminals. I learned my lesson once when I changed a battery out of something and popped it into my front pocket of my jeans. A short while later I thought my leg was on fire. Seems the termianls came incontact with some loose change in my pocket! Wow that made me dance!

As for myself since I do most of my flying in the relativley populated Northeast and midatlantic areas. I really carry very little. I dress for the season (always good socks and hiking boots in winter) birng a basic REI Hikers first Aid kit, Leatherman, matches, Hand held and a cell phone. If I ever fly over more rugged or barren country than shopping malls and farm land I will pack for the possible emergency needs of the trip. If I bring water I bring it in a Nalgene bottle which won't shatter or burst like a milk jug.

AdamZ said:
Ha! Anthony if Gary is flying over the Main Line his survival equipment should include a squash raquet, a sand wedge and a membership card to the Union League:rofl:

I'm sure his survival kit includes white wine and Brie cheese. :)

When flying back east, you'd be in spitting distance of a Wendy's, McD's, KFC and every pizza place and Chinese restaurant known to man. The survival part is dealing with the cholesterol, not getting to food or water. Ha!

AdamZ said:

Watch it!! I resemble that! Cash still works best, have you ever bought a bottle of water at the Devon Horse Show - breathtaking prices.

Gary

When I was webmaster for the Northern California Wing of Angel Flight, I got the notes from a presenter that spoke of aircraft survival. She listed some items that were recommended to be in a survival kit and I added some things that were probably readily available. Check out the Angel Flight Web Page at:

<http://www.angelflight.org/californianorth/Articles/Survival.html>

Silicon Rallye said:
<http://www.angelflight.org/californianorth/Articles/Survival.html>

>Tube tent (no longer legal -- and therefore not sold -- in CA); I substituted big lawn/leaf bags, which also can be tied around vegetation to collect water

Why the heck would tube tents be illegal? Are one/two person tents classified as tube tents? (not a lot of difference actually)

Then again, I still carry a gill net which is in the same category but this is survival and if they don't like what I'm carrying, they can die and solve my food supply issues for a while.

Forget the leaf bags. Get standard 3.5mil clear plastic sheeting from any paint dept for $3-5. Instant tube tent. Instant solar still. Instant anything waterproof you want or need.

Heavy duty pliers with cutters and a few basic tools are useful for scrounging airplane parts.

Back