Survey what you pay /charge biennial review

I charge $45/hour for instruction and I usually average 3-3.5 hours for a flight review to an average pilot.

My flight school doesn't have a fixed price for flight reviews. Since it requires a minimum 1 hour of Ground instruction and 1 hour of flying, they book you for 2 hours. The aircraft rental is booked for an hour but they bill whatever the Hobbs time ends up being, whether 1.0 hours or 1.2 and so on. The rate depends on which plane you use. Some planes rent for $100/hour while others $130/hour. Then you're also billed for the instructor's time - the 1 hour of ground + his time in the plane.
So if you stick to the minimum of 1 hour ground and 1 hour of flight time, the cost is 2 hours @ instructor rate for the instructor, plus 1 hour at aircraft rate for the plane. For my recent review I flew for 1.2 hours because I wanted to work on some extra stuff with him (we did spot landings and other fun stuff after we got the regular stuff like stalls out of the way). My total bill was $265.00.
A flight review is a good time to also have the instructor teach you something new or to relearn something you haven't done in awhile and now would like to be coached thru it again. I choose to learn spot landings and to review short field landings. Someone else might want to get some Class B experience, or spin recovery, or review how to use some advanced features of the GPS or other such equipment.

Well if you take into consideration that he posted this in another thread on the same day it's pretty obvious:

Actually, I owe you an apology. I looked up over the weekend how long it lasted, and indeed it was 3 hours. I was incorrect, and you have my apology.

I'm still glad I don't use you for a BFR. Long damn way to go for a BFR.

Last edited:
I charge $35/h for ground portion and $40/h for flying...Although friends usually get it for free :D

..... My total bill was $265.00.
A flight review is a good time to also have the instructor teach you something new or to relearn something you haven't done in awhile and now would like to be coached thru it again. I choose to learn spot landings and to review short field landings. Someone else might want to get some Class B experience, or spin recovery, or review how to use some advanced features of the GPS or other such equipment.

I chose spin training, was charged $200 but paid $250 ... reason being I checked the amount of time in the air and calculated my instructor (friend) wasn't making anything as he spent an entire morning and more than an hour in the plane .... his plane .... a PITTS!:yes:

Back