Survey what you pay /charge biennial review

I think it was a few hours of instruction, but I train regularly with the same guy, so it wasn't a start from scratch type of thing.

I charge $25/instruction hour - cash only.

That would be a form of payment (cost being three chickens and a goat). I am guessing someone paid and it wasn't him.

I meant the show he put on with them, not that they were traded. I mean, it is Henning!

:rofl:

Edit: Dammit, I did say trade originally.

I charge $35/hr for the flight review. It takes as long as it takes.

Got it in a trade for 3 chickens and goat?

LOL, no, I'm just that much fun to fly with....;) Heck, I even got to evaluate the best-latest avionics while doing them. OTOH, they did cost me about $30k when I bought a plane because I knew that I wasn't flying my own plane IFR without the new gear.:mad2::rofl:;)

I think for my last BFR I paid somewhere between $100 and $150 for the instructor. Can't remember how long it took, maybe 2 hours.

Quite the bargain.
Why must you always try and take little jabs at me? Does it make you feel Big, Strong, and Tall?

FWIW I don't believe I've ever charged a PoA member for a flight review or IPC and I've done quite a few of them.

Last edited:
I usually charge 100 flat rate. If it goes a little over 2 hours fine. If they are a basket case at 2 hours and need a lot more time with a CFI then I would charge more.

Got my last one along with my tailwheel endorsement in the Luscombe. Since that took 16 hours at $65/hour for the instructor plus something similar for the airplane, it could be considered pricey. LOL.

I pay my instructor his hourly rate for however many hours it takes.

Why is this even a question?
It comes up a often (IRL, too) ... Why is the answer even of interest - a flight review cost a pittance in the grand scheme of aviation? And, what are the askers hoping to hear?

Last edited:
My last one was about $400, but the one prior to that was free.

My last combination BFR/IPC was $50. But that was a special rate from a special person!

My last flight review was 1hr checkout in a new to the rental line C-182R, rental cost only. The CFi was a courtesy for the checkout and the ground portion was covered by a recent FIRC.

Of course I just completed a 5hr instrument refresher with XC, not IPC.
All rental fee of course.

Jesse, what is that airplane in your avitar?

Why must you always try and take little jabs at me? Does it make you feel Big, Strong, and Tall?

FWIW I don't believe I've ever charged a PoA member for a flight review or IPC and I've done quite a few of them.

Jeeze.... ease up on the guy Jesse, that might have been his best shot!

Last edited:
Last Flight Review I got, the instructor (crusty old boy with eleventeen million hours) told me he's never charged for a flight review, and he didn't figure he'd start now. Think he let me buy his wife and him a cheeseburger. I also bought supper for his son and some of his son's coworkers; they work in F16s. That was fun.

I got an IPC a month or so ago, pretty thorough. Think it was $40.00/hour, which I felt was fair value. $35.00/hour for Jesse would be a steal.

I buy a new (new to me ) airplane from a CFI every two years. The review is free.

I pay my instructor his hourly rate for however many hours it takes.

Why is this even a question?
It comes up a often (IRL, too) ... Why is the answer even of interest - a flight review cost a pittance in the grand scheme of aviation? And, what are the askers hoping to hear?

I didn't ask the question, but I am happy to read the answers because of the variation. There is a very knowledgeable CFI that I have used for several purposes who charges an hourly rate for instruction ($35, IIRC), but when I have gotten a BFR or IPC from him, he asks at the end of it what I think I should pay (and kind of insinuates that he usually gets a good bit more). The whole thing makes me uncomfortable enough that am using another CFI for my BFR next month.

I am wondering if this is a carry-over from the high fees charged by examiners? That somehow this requirement is mandated by the FAA and therefore the CFI should get more than his usual hourly rate? I, for one, don't see why the hourly rate should be any different than it is for other types of instruction.

Wells

I didn't ask the question, but I am happy to read the answers because of the variation. There is a very knowledgeable CFI that I have used for several purposes who charges an hourly rate for instruction ($35, IIRC), but when I have gotten a BFR or IPC from him, he asks at the end of it what I think I should pay (and kind of insinuates that he usually gets a good bit more). The whole thing makes me uncomfortable enough that am using another CFI for my BFR next month.

I am wondering if this is a carry-over from the high fees charged by examiners? That somehow this requirement is mandated by the FAA and therefore the CFI should get more than his usual hourly rate? I, for one, don't see why the hourly rate should be any different than it is for other types of instruction.

Wells

Tell him, "What you set your rates at, if you don't like it set your rates differently", jeez, what an ass.

I usually do FR, lunch, then an IPC. $100 and I buy lunch. Makes for an enjoyable day at the airport.

This year Henry and I had several CFIs who asked to give us flight reviews. The two we used didn't charge as they were eager to get Luscombe time. It's a nice barter system, and it gives us a chance to allow other pilots to experience flight in a very enjoyable airplane that isn't often on the rental line.

We have promised to fly with the others as time and weather permit.

Deb

This year Henry and I had several CFIs who asked to give us flight reviews. The two we used didn't charge as they were eager to get Luscombe time. It's a nice barter system, and it gives us a chance to allow other pilots to experience flight in a very enjoyable airplane that isn't often on the rental line.

We have promised to fly with the others as time and weather permit.

Deb

Same with owning twins. Young CFIs will typically trade their time to get some multi. The downside is that you don't get much learning from a CFI with less experience than you, you do however get their signature. Luckily I haven't played that game in a long time, now I get CFIs who know how to make it a workout that counts.

I thought the comment was sincere. There must be a track record here to indicate otherwise.

Same with owning twins. Young CFIs will typically trade their time to get some multi. The downside is that you don't get much learning from a CFI with less experience than you, you do however get their signature. Luckily I haven't played that game in a long time, now I get CFIs who know how to make it a workout that counts.

My CFI learned to fly in a Luscombe. She also survived an engine out on take off in one. She owns a Cessna 195, a Cessna 170 and a Taylorcraft. I think Captain Robertson is pretty well qualified to know if I am competent and proficient in a 1946 Luscombe 8A, especially when one is landing on a tiny bit of grass.

Henry's CFI is the gentleman who taught me to fly and has thousands of hours in nearly every tail wheel airplane made. No games played here.

The others are well seasoned commercial pilots with lots of tail wheel time. I don't let any pilot or CFI, professional or otherwise, without the benefit of many hours in airplanes like mine, handle the controls of my airplane. A couple have scared me to death.

Deb

I do mine as an annual recurrent training, combining ground school and 2 hours or so of flight time in Charlene, with an IPC included. I think I pay $300.00 or so, higher than just a three or four hours with a CFI, but my insurance company approves. :D Recurrent, in even at a cheap sim school is big $$. :mad2:

I do mine as an annual recurrent training, combining ground school and 2 hours or so of flight time in Charlene, with an IPC included. I think I pay $300.00 or so, higher than just a three or four hours with a CFI, but my insurance company approves. :D Recurrent, in even at a cheap sim school is big $$. :mad2:

Amazing isn't it, it's cheaper to operate an airplane than a sim....:eek:

Amazing isn't it, it's cheaper to operate an airplane than a sim....:eek:

Every sim school I have ever been to had 2 or 3 sim techs working all the time to keep them running! Of course, I use my airplane and fuel for the recurrent, I am not sure what it would cost to rent a 421 for a couple hours of training? :eek:

Every sim school I have ever been to had 2 or 3 sim techs working all the time to keep them running! Of course, I use my airplane and fuel for the recurrent, I am not sure what it would cost to rent a 421 for a couple hours of training? :eek:

The one available to me in FL is $650hr.:eek: I don't doubt the cost of operating the good sims, they break down more than real planes.

Back