Surplus parachutes to keep dust off a plane in a hangar?

Kiddo's Driver

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
So I got my plane into the hangar next to the house I rented. The hangar is open fronted, so I guess it is really a fancy carport. I washed the plane two weeks ago, but you cannot tell by looking at it. Any thoughts on draping surplus military parachutes over it to keep the dust off?

Jim

If it is an open hangar you'll need fitted covers if you want the plane under cloth.

Better than nothing. Just find away to secure it so it doesn't start flapping around and breaking antennas and stuff.

Better than nothing. Just find away to secure it so it doesn't start flapping around and breaking antennas and stuff.
IMO it is more likely to damage something then help.

I agree, it there is much wind at all the cover will be moving around and lightly scuffing the paint, if not scratching it. I'd want a pretty secure cover that fits pretty snuggly. Easiest way to deal with it is a water hose. :D If you can, just hose it off when you pull it out and it will dry as you fly! :yes:

IMO it is more likely to damage something then help.

I agree, it there is much wind at all the cover will be moving around and lightly scuffing the paint, if not scratching it. I'd want a pretty secure cover that fits pretty snuggly. Easiest way to deal with it is a water hose. :D If you can, just hose it off when you pull it out and it will dry as you fly! :yes:

So it/they would make good dust covers in a closed hangar, but not so much where the wind can get ahold of it.

Extremely hard water...the only way it would work would to be to rinse with the well water then rinse the well water off with rain water.

Jim

So it/they would make good dust covers in a closed hangar, but not so much where the wind can get ahold of it.

Extremely hard water...the only way it would work would to be to rinse with the well water then rinse the well water off with rain water.

Jim
Maybe a leaf blower instead of a water hose? :dunno::D

In dealing with car covers an un-secure piece of fabric will end up doing more harm than good. As mentioned the movement against the paint combined with dust particles will scratch the finish over time. You would be better served using the parachutes as a make shift curtain / garage door to reduce the dust entering the "carport". Not sure how the folks on either side would feel about the new door.

Disclaimer: I have no plane and have never tried your proposed method so I could be incorrect.

They make inline water conditioners for hard water problems.....

images

You would be better served using the parachutes as a make shift curtain / garage door to reduce the dust entering the "carport". Not sure how the folks on either side would feel about the new door.
No one on either side. I'm looking at some square ones now, but they are red and white striped!

Jim

Attachments

• Plane in front of Hangar.JPG
    Plane in front of Hangar.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 22
http://www.amazon.com/CR-Spotless-W...id=1402069991&sr=1-6&keywords=spot+free+rinse

We have a system similar to this that we use for the motorcycles. Ours is an older version of this with a tank and it gets very heavy and doesn't hold enough water to use the entire time your washing 3 bikes. That being said it is amazing. We wash the bikes like normal with just water and soap. Then give a final rinse with the water from the machine and it is completely spot free without even drying it. We usually use a leaf blower to get the excess water off quicker but its not really needed. Just speeds it up so we can get it back in the garage sooner.

This system looks like it filters as it goes and should keep you in water the whole wash. Pretty dang reasonable price to avoid water spots and hours of additional work.

Just get some big rain barrels. The one I have holds 1500 gallons. Plenty of water to rinse off the plane several times.
Or you could holler " Hey Culligan man!"

If your airplane is collecting dust, the problem is lack of use, not lack of cover.

Just get some big rain barrels. The one I have holds 1500 gallons. Plenty of water to rinse off the plane several times.
Or you could holler " Hey Culligan man!"
I found 275 gallon IBC totes on Craig's list for $50-$85 each. I'm going to rain/dehumidifier drain in one of those.

We has a good rain Saturday night. I just happened to be up at 3AM with the tail end of it was working past the house. I pulled the plane out and let it get a good 30 minute rinse. It cleaned all of the dust and the mineral coating from the last time I washed it (hard water) right off. It looks great! Right now the land it too wet to kick up dust so I will get a few days of it looking good before it starts collecting farm dust again.

Jim

Back